ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Virtuality > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

1000CS Visette Removal instructions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1000CS Visette Removal instructions
    Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 9:29pm
Hello All Virtuality owners!

Here is a quick guide on how to remove the Visette from the Main Machine.

The official way - is to remove the complete Visette, along with the main wiring loom, that goes from the Visette to the Expality.  This is very time consuming and awkward to do - ( I know - I did it! )

Here is the version on how to remove the Visette, leaving the cables on the VR machine.

1: - remove the 3 screws that are on the speaker section. 2 at the rear, one shorter one at the front.

2: Carefully split the two sides - watching you don't damage the wires.
Remove the metal plate with the three cap head screws.

3:CAREFULLY lift the board out from the Visette. The wires will tug, but you need to unplug the cables from the LOOM side, and the speaker cable , that's on the Visette side.
That will release the Visette from the Loom. Do this for both sides.
( in my picture - I have removed the Tracker Board from the Left visette board - that makes it easier when taking the visette apart)

( Take note when re-assembling - the plate around the cable has two holes in it. These go to the speaker side - not the cover side )

4: The Loom side of the Visette connection - with speaker. The speaker can be removed via the 4 screws - but I can only see the back of them - I think the front of them are covered with the ear pad fabric which seems to be attached to the headset by a plastic ring that is REALLY stuck on.

Now the Visette is detached from the system, lets take that apart.

A: Revmove the foam from the forehead area padding - this is velcroed on.
The Blue ( in this case ) Foam front pad needs to be peeled away from the top half of the visette to expose the screws. 2 each side, and 3 across the front. There are also 8 screws at the bottom rear, where the `ErgoLok` mechanism pivots.

B: After removing all the screws, you can lift the top section off - being careful around the front foam. I have removed the left & right PCB`s as well as the Screen assembly - pics of which are below. In a fully assembled Visette - the Screen assembly is held in by three screws - 1 at the top near the nose, and 2 below at the front of the screen assembly.  The Left & Right PCB will jsut hang there and be very loose without the metal plate holding them in place.
I find it best to unplug the screens, the mic, and remove the Tracker board, so these L&R PCB`s can be safely removed to stop then dangling while working.

A close-up of the bottom screens removed and one with a screen ( and my new one ) still in.

A close up of the top section.

The `Ergolok` ( this just lifts out once the visette is opened.

Keep an eye on the short and long fork on the Ergolok pivots. It only fits one way back in.

When reassembling the Visette, here are a few notes.

• Attatch the Left & Right PCB to the Visette`s internal connections, and slide them in place before putting the Visette top back on.
  • When re-assembling the speaker section - make sure you have the metal plate the correct way up, and feed the Loom wires and the speaker wire through it and attach them all to the PCB before screwing the plate down.
  • Remember the speaker wire connects to the Visette Side of the PCB.

I hope this helps guys!

Simon

gridrunner View Drop Down
Ex-lurker!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gridrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 9:54pm
Hi Simon,
thanks for that write up, it's very clear and informative. I'm going to take mine apart at the weekend to get familiar with it, give it a clean up and look over inside. If you're having new ear pads made, please sign me up! I'll happily cover the costs. The interior of mine has had a hard life!

stu

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic