ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > Meetings & Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

10p Podcast #93 - DOnkEy Kong

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IN YOUR FACE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10p Podcast #93 - DOnkEy Kong
    Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 9:18pm
Podcast #93 is out! Later than normal (I had biscuit crumbs stuck under the 'publish' key on my laptop). This time we have a 34 player Kong-Off! Check out the carnage at http://tenpencearcade.co.uk/ or iTunes.

ShaunHolley.
Shooting stuff right in't face.

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 10:06pm
Was there a post for podcast #92 anywhere, I can't find it?

I'm very late to the game on Mega Twins it seems after only getting round to listening to #92 today. Somehow I missed Mega Twins, always bypassing it as 'Willow for kids' or something (always loved Willow itself).

Actually I'm probably the only person who's glad I sat down and played it, it seems (albeit on naff Pandora's Box emulation sadly).
The art start style is bang on what I like (cute 'n colourful), and no secrets? I quite enjoyed smashing the scenery to reveal tons of coins and treasure chests on the levels. I could see shades of Toki and Wonderboy 3, where they were also trying to meld platforming and shoot-em-ups to freshen things up. I played a few rounds, got 60-odd thousand on the table.
But yeah, same kinds of complaints as others - badly needed projectile weapons in addition to the sword to make the hard enemies / bosses more fair. And which bombs are which are really not obvious. The low energy sound was indeed fekkin irritating. Overall yup, it felt like someone had put an Amiga 500 in my cab... it left me feeling like it was a shareware / PD game for sure (with the same gameplay frustrations). That wall hugging mechanic is one of the worse I've seen in a long time!

I might go back to it though, but I probably won't be hunting down the PCB any time soon!

Righto, onto #93! 10p back-2-back....

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCB
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
shaunholley View Drop Down
IN YOUR FACE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 10:13pm
Sorry Dave, we forgot to post podcast #92 release on 'Vac! We are not the best at this self-promotion thing!
ShaunHolley.
Shooting stuff right in't face.

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 12:49am
Ahaa! I caught you out then! Thumbs Up

Well I appear to have just watched the final credits sequence of Mega Twins after chain-crediting it and just blasting through the entire thing! Ooops Embarrassed Not going to get my evening back am I?

The game producer is called 'POO' LOL
Kudos to the original development team, there's plenty there. I laughed at the Rainbow Islands esque-later levels and the crazy bosses. I think it actually gets better the further into the game you get with the later power ups allowing loads of bombs and dual-character attacks, map collecting and so on. Shame it's still stupid frustratingly hard - no way would I ever waste my time attempting to 1CC it.

Cambridge was a great event yeah! My only complaint was that it wasn't long enough.. went by far far too fast. I had no idea there were crafty background cab deals going on either - sneaky! Thanks to Vic for being a Dino King CP pusher and chucking yet another panel at me Wink
When it came to packing up on Sunday, I walked into the museum to find all 4 Dino Kings still in use. I didn't have the heart to switch them off, so stayed a bit longer, discovered the original conversion of PacMan to the BBC micro (before it was reworked to be AcornSoft Snapper), and played a game against a 1963 mainframe! It was all a bit WarGames LOL

Have a good hols in US of A Vic. Hope you get some great pickups!

Edited by Flinnster - 07 Sep 2017 at 12:51am

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCB
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Chuckie egg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nintendo Arcade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuckie egg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 8:08am
Another fantastic pod cast guys.
Honoured to be insulted on this weeks Victorian insults ,made me laugh   
Have a good holiday Vic and looking forward to the next pod cast with shaun at the helm.
If think Radar scope would be good to cover in future.
Take care guys
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:03am
Great stuff, I seem to have got behind on these, the Mega Twins one passed me by, shame as that was a game I used to really like back in the day. Gone back to 91 to listen, as think I must have fallen asleep on the train listening to it (because I was tired not because you were boring I hasten to add, haha), the Victorian insult of Tronads in that was hilarious, you can hear Shaun starting to corpse.
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Asteroids Cabaret Cab, Track & Field or Hyper Sports cab, Exterminator & Arkanoid set ups+Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
t-m View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 12:39pm
Great podcast as always!
Nik73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 10:48pm
Another great episode boys, my favourite part was:

Shaun - "Errrrrrr.......... Errrrrrrrr"
Vic - " You see listeners, this is what happens when you give pensioners technology!"
Big smile

Have to agree with everything Neil said about Donkey Kong. It's a game I've always loved, but also bee REALLY bad at it, like not get past the second screen bad. I'd heard all about influencing barrels, etc but never put time into it. Absolutely love this game now even though I only got to lvl 5, but will definitely keep putting time into it.  Definitely a stone cold classic.
I have to be honest and say I've not enjoyed the last few games and was wondering if I just wasn't enjoying them because I was crap at them. So, is there an enjoyment/ability paradigm going on? Well Donkey Kong blew that theory out of the water. Zero ability at first, but a LOT of enjoyment. Just goes to show a turd is a turd and a classic is a classic.

On a more selfish note, I finally got round to picking up my first cab. Nothing fancy, but I love it. A Jamma cab with original Circus Charlie PCB.

All those tech tips will come in handy, especially the proper use of preserves. Wink
On the negative side, new toy syndrome has meant I've had no time to play Space Harrier, so no score for me. Cry

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 6:03am
That is a handsome cab with Circus Charles. It looks good like that. No work needed!
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

Nik73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 1:14pm
Thanks Vic. Yeah, it's in really good condition and looks great. Was literally plug in and play. Not a game I knew, but LOVE it now. Win, win!
ianski View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:33pm
Great podcast as ever gents and a big thanks for the shoutout :)
Thanks again for the 10p massive (duo) coming to the Cambridge event was great too see you both and have another good chinwag. I was really pleased for the love Jungle King got!
It was a lot of work for Phil, Will and I but worth it although not sure if I'll take my whole collection out again.
I'm not sure my nerves will take it.

DK is of course a classic, I first played it in a Little Chef or Happy Eater... the name Donkey did amuse me.
Great game but its a shame I can't play it that well. It's definitely better played on an upright instead of a cocktail.

Van Van Car.... oh dear that is a bad game, its the runt of the 60 in 1 I reckon :)

Hope to see you both at the Vac meet!

Looking for: Nice working monitors for my US games.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic