ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

1991 Midway Terminator 2 - The Arcade Game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1991 Midway Terminator 2 - The Arcade Game
    Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 8:52pm
I'll start by saying that this is not really a machine I’ve been actively looking for but a few have popped up on eBay recently since the new movie came out with various faults but this one was in pretty tidy condition so I thought I'd ask some questions and maybe even have a bid or two.

I used to own the Super Nintendo Conversion of the arcade game when I was in my teens but at the time I never owned the SNES “Super Scope” gun and playing it on the control pad got old quickly.

Anyway moving on… I contacted the seller and asked a few questions about the machine as it had been listed as Non working / for parts the seller told me that one day the monitor just stopped working but you could hear the game still running so he moved it out of his conservatory and into his garage as he didn’t want a giant paperweight in the house. He also explained that when he tested the machine prior to listing on eBay that the sounds had stopped working but he was “sure the game was still working”

I was under no illusion when I made the purchase that it wouldn’t come with other issues. After all you don’t see many of these fully working. I was ready for board faults and other weird and wonderful faults to give me headaches and keep me awake at night wondering how to fix them! 

My technical knowledge is pretty limited. To give you an idea ...understanding how a Jamma cabinet works and checking voltages with a multimeter is about your lot LOL

This IS a Jamma wired cab Scott I hear you say! And you would be right the main board is wired for Jamma but there are a couple of extra boards and lots of scary wiring looms running everywhere!

Like other Midway arcade games of the 90’s Terminator 2 has a separate soundboard and those awesome guns also have a separate board, not to mention the moving parts (gun coils) eeep! something else no doubt I’ll have to fix!

The gun board is also responsible for some lighting effects. Lighting effects? Yep that’s right LIGHTING EFFECTS some of you might not know this but this game has some wedge bulbs behind the mirrored glass that when the player gets hit by an enemy the bulbs shine on the mirrored glass lighting up some explosion artwork that is silk screened onto the glass giving an almost 3D effect to the player. This is known as the “peppers ghost effect” Seawolf released in 1976 used the same effect I believe – pretty cool but another thing that’ll probably need fixing knowing my luck Confused

So yeah, what was I talking about…ah yes headaches and insomnia. I was under no illusion that with more boards, gun coils, flashy lights and other stuff to go wrong this might take a while to fix.

But I was willing to give it a go - with the price agreed I hired a van and drove from Leicester to Reading to collect it. 

When I arrived at the sellers house I had a quick look around the machine to make sure it was complete, loaded it on to the van, paid him his money and left. After all it was a fair price I wasn't there to mess about.

Once I had got it home I unloaded it from the van and got stuck in! The first thing I wanted to do before I did anything was to check that nothing had come loose in transit. 

Everything was good so I moved on to checking some voltages - which all seemed ok at the edge connector.

I then turned my attention to the monitor which puzzled me briefly…it looked like a Hantarex chassis but I couldn’t locate any Hanty labels or a model number and then I found something…CA&G…???...CA&G…is that the monitor brand??? I did a quick Google search which didn’t find much really. I noticed literally a couple of old posts on KLOV where this monitor brand had been discussed on a few occasions and that was about it.

OK so I’ve got a rare monitor. sh*t. That can’t be good. I dropped Grant a quick PM and then moved on checking the fuse on the chassis which checked out ok and then checked the voltage going to the chassis which also checked out (this particular chassis uses 240vac)

The next day Grant confirmed my suspicions it was a pretty scarce chassis that although similar to Hantarex monitors is different in other ways.

I arranged to send the chassis to Grant to fix  - If Grant can’t fix it due to scarce parts I will be looking at having to source a Hantarex chassis as a replacement. A 9000 series if I make some alterations to my isolation transformer to bring the voltage down to 110vac or a Hanty Polo chassis should swap straight over leaving the voltage at 240vac.

So now my focus turns to the main game board hopefully I’ll have some better luck with that but looking at how dirty all the boards are I’m not getting my hopes up at this point. I disconnected the sound and gun boards and connected the main pcb to my Jamma cabinet.

Joy! The game works (albeit with a couple of roms that are flakey) Big smile

Well folks that’s pretty much as far as I’ve got. Once I’ve got a working monitor my attention will turn back to the game boards (they’ll need a good clean as they are very dirty as you can see) but once they are clean I will hook everything back up and run some in game diagnostics and take it from there to see what is working and what’s not.

Wish me luck. In the meantime heres a few pictures of the cab!

Edited by acidburn - 13 Nov 2015 at 11:47am
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
panpar227 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panpar227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 8:58pm
What is going on with that sideart!
acidburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by panpar227 panpar227 wrote:

What is going on with that sideart!

I know. Freakin awesome right LOLThumbs Up
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:25pm
Dude...

The protos had airbrushed art...

That does not look like the photo of Arnolds face like they normally have!!!!

Reseat those two bad ROMs, clean the legs, you may get lucky!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:26pm
I think I'm right on the art dude, you have pre production artwork. This is one of the initial pilot release cabs.

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:27pm

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:28pm
DUDE! What awesome luck that is!

What's the serial say?

acidburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Alpha1 Alpha1 wrote:

Dude...

The protos had airbrushed art...

That does not look like the photo of Arnolds face like they normally have!!!!

Reseat those two bad ROMs, clean the legs, you may get lucky!

I hadn't really noticed to be honest but now you mention it...you you think this could be some sort of prototype?

10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:29pm

Gaming Heaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaming Heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:29pm
nice grab for the money like the look of this cab

art is better than the version shown on KLOV IMO

Edited by Gaming Heaven - 08 Aug 2015 at 9:30pm
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:30pm
Yeah I think you have. Clay Cowgill also has one. He got his from one of the original Developers of the game.. Speak to him about it on Facebook. He should be able to help you more.

acidburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:32pm
Says manufatured in the UK by Deith Leisure Ltd (a SEGA Company) Serial number had been written in perm marker which has mostly rubbed off only leaving the last two digits "37"
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
Urgentemente View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urgentemente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:35pm
Nice get, and for £100 I'd say well worth it even if it does take some work to get fully working again.

I shovelled way too many coins into this in Southport in the 90's, big Terminator fan so I enjoyed the game, but it was difficult (or was set on difficult...)

acidburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Alpha1 Alpha1 wrote:

Yeah I think you have. Clay Cowgill also has one. He got his from one of the original Developers of the game.. Speak to him about it on Facebook. He should be able to help you more.

Sounds interesting. Thanks dude I will get in touch when I get a minute - things are looking up :)
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
frothmeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frothmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 10:15pm
Great looking cab dude. I've never played it myself, but got to say it looks pretty cool.

Sounds like you've struck a bargain there too. Well playedThumbs Up
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 10:35pm
if you need a spare coil lamp driver board,I have one
====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
acidburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by stevebm1 stevebm1 wrote:

if you need a spare coil lamp driver board,I have one

Not really thought about spares yet. Is it fully working Steve? How much were you looking for?
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
panpar227 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panpar227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 11:25pm
What's the sideart made from, is it a vinyl sticker?
acidburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by panpar227 panpar227 wrote:

What's the sideart made from, is it a vinyl sticker?

No definitely not a sticker. It's painted directly on the wood. Silk screened perhaps?
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
panpar227 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panpar227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 11:45pm
Any chance of some closeups of the sideart?

Intrigues me on what a proto version of the cab would be doing in the uk, would love to know the backstory on this one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic