ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

1991 Midway Terminator 2 - The Arcade Game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by panpar227 panpar227 wrote:

What you have there is a T-Unit Midway Sound PCB, whereas your Terminator 2 game PCB is a Midway Y-Unit PCB..... confused yet Confused

The only difference afaik between the two boards is the amp circuitry underneath the heatsink, the two boards should be interchangeable as long as the correct sounds roms are being used.

The fact that there are no labels on the roms on the sound board suggests to me that somebody has reprogrammed the NBA Jam sound roms with T2 roms so all should be good, but the only way to know for sure is to dump the roms and run them through romident.

Apart from needing a good scrub, that sound PCB should work fine with your T2 PCB Smile

You know your stuff panpar thanks for all of the advice so far. Thumbs Up
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
acidburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 1:23pm
I've just finished dusting off the boards. I've also re-covered all of those EPROMS and reseated U98 & U107 in the process with success i.e. all roms on the main board now pass Thumbs Up

I've noted one blown fuse on the gun pcb F2 (top right fuse) and the BR2325 CMOS battery on the main pcb needs swapping out as the config settings aren't saving.

Edited by acidburn - 11 Aug 2015 at 2:42pm
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
panpar227 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panpar227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 1:43pm
The fuse may have blown because a solenoid in the gun is stuck / faulty.  It is probably worth picking up a few replacements as I would expect it to blow again when replaced until the cause is identified.

If you hit the menu button on your service panel you should be able to go in and calibrate the guns to get you past that error screen.

acidburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by panpar227 panpar227 wrote:

The fuse may have blown because a solenoid in the gun is stuck / faulty.  It is probably worth picking up a few replacements as I would expect it to blow again when replaced until the cause is identified.

If you hit the menu button on your service panel you should be able to go in and calibrate the guns to get you past that error screen.

I can get past that screen in my jamma cab just by hitting the fire buttons, I just have to recalibrate every time I switch the machine off - I'll order a new battery off eBay Smile

I've got a feeling it might be the player 2 gun solenoid that is having issues. I've ordered a T25 security torx bit so I can open up the gun cases.
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
acidburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 2:01pm
Other things I'm planning on doing in the next few weeks are: 

Replace the switching PSU for a new one. 

Clean the monitor tube

Clean the mirror 
Speaking of the mirror as you may know the glass has a mirror film on the back which doesn't allow light to pass through except for the "hit" areas that light up. I've noticed this film has hairline cracks all over most likely due to changing heat and moisture conditions over the years. It's not flaking but I imagine I will have to choose my cleaning material very carefully making sure not apply too much pressure.  Once cleaned it might be a good idea to seal it with some sort of varnish perhaps?

Edited by acidburn - 11 Aug 2015 at 2:02pm
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
panpar227 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote panpar227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 2:07pm
Just been doing some digging and the Swedish and German flyers both show machines with the proto artwork on them.  If you look closely at the front the cabs are the US made ones with the vertical slide out for the PCB.

I also compared the proto artwork on Acidburns cabinet to the one that Clay Cowgill posted up and although they both use the airbrushed image they are definitely different, so looks like there are at least three different versions of prototype artwork out there....

• US Made Full Upright
  • Deith Leisure Full Upright
  • Deith Leisure Sit Down

Edited by panpar227 - 11 Aug 2015 at 2:08pm
acidburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 7:27pm
Bad news monitor-wise the chassis is beyond help. According to Grant the entire PSU section is fried including the transformer Ouch

So looks like I'll be replacing it. Grant already has a Polo 1 chassis lined up for me which he will service and replace the flyback on.

10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:30pm
We need someone with other UK/European T2s. The one I played on in my local arcade in Portsmouth had the real Arnie I swear, not the artists impression version.

That sit down one that is on eBay is also hideously rare.
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

lowlevel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowlevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 1:16pm
Both My European T2 (Belgium) was the normal US version, front slide pcb panel
panpar227 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panpar227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 1:43pm

Two pictures of the T2 design team, notice the top image shows prototype artwork and bottom image (in factory) shows release sideart

Edited by panpar227 - 14 Aug 2015 at 1:44pm
panpar227 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panpar227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 9:26pm
Anyone else noticing the similarities?

acidburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 1:49pm
We now have a working soundboard and a working monitor thanks to jonhughes and Gunblade.

The issue with the sound was down to an EPROM chip located at U3 on the soundboard - it stores the software to run the soundboard. The chip was defective and it was replaced by jon. The hardware, i.e. the physical soundboard had no issues. 

The CA&G monitor chassis was completely knackered so Gunblade sorted me out with a nice Polo 2 (serviced and with a new flyback no less) 

Both of you guys were SO helpful, a MASSIVE thank you to you both! (what a great community this is) 

So monitor and sound sorted Big smile BUT...yes theres a BIG but...

...the guns won't calibrate Cry  on the gun calibration screen when I move either gun the X & Y values do not change. OK so dodgy pots!? (on BOTH guns very doubtful) most likely an issue with the coil lamp driver board. 

Also noted that there are two LED's on both guns a red and a green. The green LED on right gun is not working and the red LED on left gun is not working.

I'm going to reseat the cables and test again but if that doesn't fix the issue panpar227 has kindly offered to test my board in his known working machine - watch this space!
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
jengineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 5:54pm
ahhh 10/10 for Jonhughes and Gunblade,  both of them awesome  Thumbs Up
ooooooh if I had the space (and the money) I'd have that...
Maurice2029 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maurice2029 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 10:48am
Arcade newbie here (but Terminator fan and that's how I found this forum). Sorry to bump this very interesting topic about the various different versions of T2 Arcade Game, but  I noticed another small difference.

As you can see the cabinet on this one features a cable of the motorcycle on the side art. See bottom of the shirt:

You can find more pics on google of this art.

All the machines posted on this picture don't feature that cable:

Another question.
Are there more pictures available of the sit down version btw?

Edited by Maurice2029 - 17 Aug 2016 at 10:49am
krebalo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krebalo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:50pm
Hello, I have German T2 machine. After a small transportation from one room to another the vertically scrolling screen issue appeared. So far it has been working well.

Can anybody suggest if there is a simple fix there (some cables to re-check or something)? Just before putting my fingers onto anything I would like to understand what connectors to check to avoid breaking anything else. I have the original user manual scan but it does not have clear pictures about what connectors/boards are doing what. So any photo would help a lot.

The cabinet is quite dusty and needs some renovation as it seems to be kept in a humid storage or on wet floor. I just do not have time to take it apart for serious cleaning or replacing the capacitors. At least not in couple of years :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic