FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

ABI Screen Info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior Members
Senior Members
Who loves you, and who do you love?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 2:51pm
Thanks for the links and write up Macro!
There'll be no accusations,
Just friendly crustaceans,
Under the seaaaaaa!
P-Man View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
International man of mystery

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 1:30pm
I'm buying one of these now, my display has only failed to fire up twice since ive had it... so its been pretty good. I dont want to get caught short however :)

thanks for the writeup macro.
Andrew Welburn www.andys-arcade.com
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 9:11am
Quick update.   I bought the inverter and followed the instructions and it worked a treat.   I now have a backlit screen again!   Many thanks for the excellent writeup Macro!

Dan
Zabanitu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zabanitu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 5:19pm
just wondering where you found the ABI boardmaster !!!
i'm still looking for a ABI chipmaster... but can't find anywhere !

regards
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 6:42pm
I just set up a search on ebay to let me know if any were listed, and eventually managed to get one (well, two actually, but sold the spare one on)

DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 7:04pm
Same, I found mine on ebay too.

Dan
Mesmeric_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mesmeric_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 10:38am
There haven't been any on ebay for ages now, I have been keeping an eye out since I learned of them.
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 11:16am
There was an ABI 8000 a few months back, possibly for sale by Neil Breeze - was out of my price range though so no idea if it sold.

(was reasonably priced for what it is, but more than I planned to spend at the time!)

backflipper View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backflipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 11:46am
I have a spare one. It's the model before the dds-40xp(which is a board master without the plastic cover and LCD)
It needs a clip made up but other than that seems to work fine.
My site shows the different models.
Www.poachersrope.co.uk
Mesmeric_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mesmeric_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 5:05pm
Ah, I recognise that site, it was the only place I found any information about the DIT24XP when I was looking.

I'll be honest, I already have a DIT24XP but it only ever gets used for out of circuit testing of RAM and logic because I never got around to making up a set of test leads. Also, it is huge and I don't have any room for it near my workbench.
Retromanic2 View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retromanic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 10:38am
Has anyone got the connection details for the original inverter.
Pins  5 - 1

Could have sworn there was only 4,but on de soldering there are 5.
Should not have attempted so late at night.... 

Looking For a Nintendo Cocktail Coin Box.
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 2:14pm
There's a before and after on my website, but it is not focused on that area enough to be certain which connections were used. (www.arcades.org.uk)

why did you remove it if you want to put it back as it was ?

Retromanic2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retromanic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 3:44pm
I have picked up a unit without a screen,just wanted to see if it was working.
Looking For a Nintendo Cocktail Coin Box.
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 4:15pm
pad 1 looks connected to 4, and from the pic on my website, it would appear that one of the leads goes to pad 4 (you can just see the number 5 pad) - that means the other lead must go to 2 or 3 (otherwise direct short) so I would go for 2

obviously be better if someone confirms it, but if I were a gambling man ...

Zabanitu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zabanitu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 10:54pm
here you can find datasheet for the inverter ic:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl1451a.pdf

pin 8 is gnd wich is connected to pins 1 and 4 of CN1
pin 9 is vcc and you should check if you can find it on CN1

if it still doesn't turn on then take a look at here and figure out if you miss a on/off pin somewhere...

good luck

Edited by Zabanitu - 02 Oct 2012 at 11:02pm
Ordyne View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ordyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 6:42pm
Just so its known not all the LCD's have the same backlight, I ordered the same one as macro for my ABI and the connector for the CFL was different and was a 5 pin rather than 2 pin. This isn't wasn't a biggie as its SMT and rather than hacking the screen I desoldered the original connector and fitted it to the new inverter, the pin spacing JUST reaches.
andrew96 View Drop Down
Unfixable? What's that word mean?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 11:40am
I just repair the inverters, the 2 I have  seen both had the ON/OFF smt transistors open circuit, so the inverter would not fire up, so as this on/off line is not used (It is connected to 12v on the connector to fire up with 12v is applied) you can just remove the transistor and put a wire link in. It got mine working again and still on the original inverter boards
andrew96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 3:14pm
pic Q5 ON/OFF bypass

andrew96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 3:20pm
you could remove Q1 and do the same link on that, but in my case Q1 was fine so didn't feel the need to bypass it. It seems the reasons the transistors go is acapacitor start to go open circuit, when they do the inverter draws more current and the transistors then overheat and fail because of that! If you have one still working or are planning to do this mod then you DO also need to replace C4 2.2uF as that is the real cause of the troubles. If the main push pull transistors are a charred mess Q3 and Q4 then just do the inverter replacement

Edited by andrew96 - 31 Jul 2013 at 3:25pm
andrew96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 3:24pm
If anyone has there old inverter after doing the transplant of a new one then do let me know as i would be interested in getting hold of them to see what other parts are failing then coming up with a work around for future preservation

cheers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic