ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

ABI Screen Info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Unfixable? What's that word mean?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by porchy porchy wrote:

mine has the video connector but no video controller, probably robbed for something else

yes the controller is a CRT9053

I managed to get a couple some time ago, worked out $10 each and $10 shipping. I poped them in and have since tried it with a external MDA monitor and it works fine, so guess they omitted the chip back then as they had supply problems! but yes everything else is in place if the chip is not present
andrew96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 3:47pm
On Another note, a company known as UTSOURCE seems to be able to supply any chip! Including the CRT9053, but do beware they sell FAKES, I bought the timekeeper ram from them for the boardmaster, and it did hold the ram content, but when you set the time... that was the time and date it said for evermore! the timekeeper side was dud! they were supposed to be ST chips as well but they did not look quite the same as proper ST chips! I did contact ST but never got a reply, there just not interested! so just beware! fakes are out there!! in the end i took the top off the original and fitted a coincell holder, now the battery can be changed in a instant if it ever goes again!!
andrew96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 3:52pm
FAKE

ORIGINAL

Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 4:24pm
Thanks Andrew for that information, interesting.
Zabanitu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zabanitu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 10:47pm
@andrew96:
the timekeeper chips looks like a fake, but if it was original, it still has a manufacturing datecode "99"... so it's practically 14 years old.
i think that also a legit ST device could fail, even if it was still on the shelves.

by the way, you all did a wonderful job.
no more discarded lcd due to inverter failure !
andrew96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 11:43pm
yes, but the battery was fine on the 'fake' timekeeper as it retained the nv ram settings no problem, but the timekeeper side didn't work, even with power the time would not budge from its set time and date. also the battery's are disconnected until there programmed and the 'on' byte is set in its memory, so even if there 10 years old the battery still is able to power them, ok not for long granted, but as this showed the battery was still fine!

I did get a refund via paypal in the end, so it didn't cost me anything!!

see the thread on the timekeeper internal battery replacement on the original one here

Zabanitu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zabanitu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 11:02am
thankyou Andrew.
i had succeded in a similar task:
i've rejuvenated a special socket made my Dallas wich can convert any SRAM chip to a NVRAM memory, it must be put between the pcb socket and the ram itself (piggyback style).
it even has 2 battery inside (smaller than a CR2032 though) because the internal governing chip has primary and secondary battery backup source.
all in all was used to restore a HP 54501 Digital Oscilloscope back in action after the error message "CAL. RAM CHECKSUM ERROR" !!!

Keep up the good work !
Zab.
andrew96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 3:05pm
I do believe I have located a LCD screen for the broken ABI I have here. It is from a laptop that uses the same. I will not at the moment say which make / model of laptop just in case it falls through and I still have to keep looking, but fingers crossed it is being bought back from the USA first week in September!!! the good news is it cost just £37.16 and not the $150 plus customs etc to get a screen sent to the UK!

more news when I get it, plus will do pictures as there is a little work to do to get it to work in the ABI, as ABI ones have been modified

Edited by andrew96 - 02 Aug 2013 at 3:16pm
Zabanitu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zabanitu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 1:07pm
i bet it comes from a old toshiba laptop....
finger crossed!
andrew96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 8:07pm
em, nope not a Toshiba!

does anyone have a lcd back cover spare for the ABI? iv'e got a broken one!

thanks

Zabanitu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zabanitu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 8:27pm
hi,
you could use some fiberglass to reconstruct the missing plasti cornes...
like someone does here:
http://www.made-by-bacteria.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1393
andrew96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrew96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:59am
If anyone is interested I have done some research and found an exact replacement for the faulty contrast control!

I have found this is the best replacement out of all the range while being one of the cheapest.

It is from the P16 range, there is a PA16 range but the rating for those is only half a watt so there not likely to last long as 1W is the standard rating.

for anyone wanting the full part number to do there own searches it is 

P16NM103MAB15

hopefully this info will be useful to anyone wanting to find these controls!

Cheers
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic