ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Advice needed on Jamma cab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swainy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice needed on Jamma cab
    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 9:59pm
Thanks to Bonehead (aka Steve) I’m now the proud owner of this Jamma cab.

The cab didn't come with a monitor but I managed to pick up this broken Megatouch which happens to have a working 19" CRT in it. 

This is the first time that I've had to handle a a bare CRT monitor so I'm a it worried about getting a bad shock from it. Anyway I understand that the monitor needs a wooden frame to fit into which I don't have. Does anyone have a spare or know the measurements so that I can make one?

Also I would like a 6 button control panel, are these easy to come by? Cheers

Edited by Swainy - 10 Aug 2018 at 10:11pm
www.retroasylum.com
ZedEx48K View Drop Down

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 8:28am
I think you will find the Maxx machine has a shielded monitor anyway, given that it's most likely just a VGA CRT inside it, not a 15k arcade tube.

Those panels are normally hacked with an awkward 6 button layout and P1&2 put on the front, you would be better off taking the panel to a metal fabricator to cut a new one with the panel design you like if no one comes forward with one.
Swainy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swainy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 10:52am
I've opened the back up and it's not shielded, plus the monitor has scanlines unlike a computer CRT. It is VGA though.

Thanks for the tip about the control panel, I'll try to find somewhere local.

Edited by Swainy - 11 Aug 2018 at 10:53am
www.retroasylum.com
ZedEx48K View Drop Down

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 11:05am
You will be fine if you use those provided hand points to move it.
Swainy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swainy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 11:12am
Cool, cheers!
www.retroasylum.com
LewisGamer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 1:00pm
I have the same style cab. Mine is a 19" BAS. The monitor you want to put in it looks a little far back. Have you checked to see if it fits? I've recently had trouble fitting a 31khz 20" monitor in mine.

Also.. I say stick with 3 buttons. 4 at most. Unless you get another panel made up for it. You will find the latch inside the panel prevents you from adding buttons right up to the edge.

Independent games store owner and organizer of Retro Games Night at the Batcave!
Swainy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swainy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 1:40pm
Well I've measured the best I could but like I said I'm missing the wooden frame that the monitor needs to sit in so its a bit awkward. Steve says that he might have a spare.

www.retroasylum.com
Spanky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 11:55am
When I got my first cab, the wooden bezel was present but swollen due to water damage in the past.
I got a bit of wood the same thickness from somewhere.  A bloke at work cut out the aperture in the middle with an electric jigsaw in less than a minute.  Doesn't have to be a brilliant job - it's behind the glass after all.  Two coats of matt black from a spray can and your done™

Nawa oh!
Swainy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swainy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 3:45pm
I don’t suppose anyone has the measurements handy?
www.retroasylum.com
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 11:09pm
If you want to use a vga monitor for playing jamma boards, you’ll need a converter.
As for the wooden frame, you need a square with the monitor shaped aperture cut into it. There are standard brackets on the monitor to mount to the wooden frame. You will probably need to measure a few things yourself to make it.

If I lived near you, I’d give you a hand...
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!
IanH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 1:23am
Worked on a few of them jamma cabs in my time, ace to see one again!
jengineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 10:47am
if I was doing it I would do everything below,

first of all remove the monitor from the Megatouch so you have it on some kind of work bench

then remove the touchscreen (very carefully) from the front of the screen, and also remove the touchscreen controller which is mounted on the piece of plywood, I would then somehow fix the monitor remote board to the inside of the metal monitor frame

I would then unbolt the monitor from the plywood so the monitor just sits on it's own in the metal case, now check the monitor will fit into the cab and it's not too wide (unless your having it horizontal?)

then I would make a monitor frame from some MDF, the only tricky thing you'll need to do is jigsaw out a hole so the monitor sits in it nicely like a proper arcade monitor, no one will be able to give you measurements unless they have done one before, but even if they have it will be nearly impossible to give you measurements for the front hole because of the curvature

or like you said above try and get hold of an original wooden monitor frame, you might have to tickle it about to fit your megatouch monitor in though, that might be easier then making one from scratch I suppose

I wouldn't de-case your megatouch monitor from it's metal frame though, it would be a nightmare to recase it into something else and also completely unnecessary 

before you start this, make sure the megatouch monitor works perfectly, these have a tendency to break down a lot, typical fault with these is they start off quite dim and then after 10 minutes, 20 minutes end up really really bright, so at the start you adjust the brightness up and then after 30 minutes the screen is super bright and unplayable, I think this fault relates to a faulty lopt?  anyway just make sure the monitor is working fine before you start the work, I wouldn't spend any money getting these repaired, there not worth it

I've posted some pictures below of proper arcade monitors for you just to look it

either that or source a working 19" monitor from someone local to you etc

Edited by jengineer - 13 Aug 2018 at 10:50am
ooooooh if I had the space (and the money) I'd have that...
Swainy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swainy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 12:01pm
Cool thanks for the tips. I’ve checked the monitor and it is working as I hooked it up to my laptop.

Edited by Swainy - 13 Aug 2018 at 12:01pm
www.retroasylum.com
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 7:33pm
Hi dean, I have the wooden surround for you it’s at my storage unit so the new monitor should just fit into it and go straight in the cab.
Will try and pick it up tomorrow and get it sent over to you.

This cab will be up and running before you know it.
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted. Centipede uprigh, bezerk, mad planets.
Swainy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swainy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 9:00pm
Ahh nice one Steve, much appreciated mate. Let me know how much postage is ect and I’ll sort you out.
www.retroasylum.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic