Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Any Southern based technical-folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Southern based technical-folk
    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 1:41pm
We need help.

While we’re eager to learn – and get our hands dirty – both Paul and I will happily (ok, sometimes not so happily) admit that we’ve got a massive learning curve ahead of us when it comes to fixing and maintaining our games – as well as the operational side of launching an arcade cafe-bar. As eager as we are, we’d be arrogant idiots if we thought we could do this alone.

We’re incredibly grateful for some of the amazing support we’ve already had from awesome people on and off this forum, but we’d like to put this offer out: Anyone with a wealth of technical experience and knowledge, who’s in comfortable travelling distance of Bournemouth and who’d like to work with us to troubleshoot and fix some of our non-working cabs (including our Asteroids, Star Wars, Centipede, Rampage and Point Blank), please give us a shout. We’d happily reimburse you for your time, skills and general wondrousness.

Brewman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 2:07pm
Hi guys. I'm afraid I can't really help on the technical side as I am new to the hobby but I would love to visit you and your arcade cafe! Where abouts are you in Bournemouth?
mcbear View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 2:12pm
Will be great to see you, and any UK-Vaccers, once we're open (and maybe a little before) – we'll be central Bournemouth, just up the road from 7Bone Burgers if our planning application goes through OK.
Brewman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 2:19pm
Cool. What name are you going with and any plans for a website?
mcbear View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 2:36pm
We're called Zaps, and the website is at http://www.zapsco.com
Brewman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 2:46pm
Thanks. It looks ace!
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 4:38pm
What's wrong with Asteroids? Sadly, I'm about 3 hours away (which is too far for me to just pop down) but maybe I can help diagnose if it's just a PCB fault.
NES4Life
-------------
Owner of ... too many cabs!
mcbear View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 8:11pm
Appreciate three hours is a little much (unless you're going to come down and make a weekend of it once we're open - but then hopefully the machines should be working!). Thanks for the offer of help – the PCB is winging it's way to Retroclinic, as it looked in a pretty shoddy state – but once it's back I'll give you a shout if it's still proving reluctant!
Brewman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:49pm
Retroclinic?
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:14pm
Retroclinic = Mark, fixes PCBs for people, does Outrun enhanced roms, and replacements bits and bobs for tons of retro electronics.

McBear - worth posting up specific issues you have on any of the cabs - I'm sure we can pitch in and help you get a fair way before needing someone on-site Wink

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCB
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 1:00am
Yeah if the forum is able to chip in with some fault diagnosis ideas then i would be up for coming down and doing some soldering/cap kits/general electrical stuff. But i dont have a lot of experience with pcb repair yet but im working on it.
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:32am
What we’re after is a list of the cabs with their various faults (be descriptive - does it play blind, are there beeps etc). A photo of each issue would really help. If there’s a gameplay issue then stick the cab into test mode and detail the output. Firstly we’ll focus on nailing them down to PCB faults, monitor faults or cab faults. Then we can recommend the right course of action for each.

Edited by Nes4life - 23 Mar 2018 at 6:33am
NES4Life
-------------
Brewman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:36am
Sorry to go off on a new conversation by where is this retroclinic based?
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Brewman Brewman wrote:

Sorry to go off on a new conversation by where is this retroclinic based?

There’s a number of guys on the forum that will repair PCBs professionally. Usually it doesn’t matter where they’re based in the UK as you tend to post your PCB to them anyway. If you really want to know then look them up on the member list or send them a PM. If you search the site you’ll find repairers.
NES4Life
-------------
Brewman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:42am
OK thanks. Yeah I've used RGP before and he was great. I didn't know if Retroclinic was an actual company near Bournemouth.
mcbear View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:10am
Really appreciate the support guys, and yup – we'll be putting some machine specific threads up asking for troubleshooting advice as we go – having seen so many amazing troubleshooting threads on this forum I've no doubt you guys can help us get the games going.

My main worry is, once we're up and running, we'd be crazy to think we can do everything ourselves – even using the great services and advice on this forum. We have a local arcade company down here, who have been great and will support us, but I'd kick myself if there was someone from the forums just down the road who'd love to get involved! Hence the reaching-out…

JonTron – that's an awesome offer, thank you. We're not too shabby at soldering, and have done a cap-kit or two ourselves, but really appreciate that you'd be up for making the trip!
Brewman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:24am
Who's the local arcade company?
mcbear View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:42am
Pool Snooker Leisure, based in Poole [URL]http://poolsnookerleisure.com[\URL]

They mostly do PC based machines these days, but have some original engineers who sound keen to get their hands on some old games. Have been super-helpful at arranging regular support, but it would be great to find a local enthusiast with more experience than us to get involved in the projects.
Brewman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:52am
OK thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic