ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Modern Gaming
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Anyone managed to pre order a PS5?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanClayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 9:44am
Me and the missus have a PS5 each pre-ordered. Not bothering with the Series X as we both have high-end gaming PCs... I play all the Halo and Forza I need on the PC
mynintendoarcade.com
vids View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 5:29pm
Ive always had playstations but at 57 i think im done i have all the ps3 ps4 games i have to go through and average about 2-4 hrs a week to play games thats not including arcade cabinets and a switch with ring fit i have played just once got xbox 360 never went past that son is the xbox fan ,got pc as well god give me back mohaa 2001 my glory days just a miserable old git now
cabs i own,pole position,tempest,defender,gorf midi and upright,millipede,chase hq,dig dug,centuri eagle,op wolf,3 jamma cabs,world cup 78 pinball,rock-ola 443 jukebox.
Grandiloquence View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grandiloquence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 3:14pm
No, just not feeling the hype at all. Plus none of the launch games are of any interest to me - in fact, I think the only console I ever pre-ordered was the Dreamcast back in '99.
Going to stick with my PS4 Pro and Switch, will have another look at PS5 in 2021.
Vamino View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 5:23am
I'm pretty much done with consoles, they are basically PC's nowadays so I build my own PC and upgrade as and when required. I'm due a CPU upgrade soon in order to keep up with the core count on the new consoles as devs will utilise those cores more efficiently now. PC games have got away with using just 4 cores for ages, that's gonna change for sure imo.

I've now had my i7 6700k for over 4 years but it still holds up like a champ.....and I've had my 1st generation i7 rig (Which I use for media encoding) for over 10 years which can still play games relatively well using a 6 core/12 thread overclocked Xeon CPU @ 4.2ghz......that CPU upgrade cost me 30 quid and has been amazing!

In the past I bought most consoles on or near launch. The last one I bought was the Xbox 360 at launch, and every major title I wanted to play ended up being sub 30fps even though it was touted as super powerful and could do HD at 60fps....Ridge Racer 6 was one of the few games I was really happy with, but ended up playing it on a Joypad which wasn't ideal. I remember selling it to CEX for £118 quid, just before the price plummeted.

I bought a PS3 for Initial D Extreme stage and a couple of games.

Completely bypassed PS4 and Xbox One. I would have liked to play Spiderman on PS4 though but meh I'll live.

PS5 and new Xbox will be the same. Game comes out filled with bugs, and one day when turning on the thing people will be greeted with the need to do system updates and install patches......that stuff on a 'console' did my head in, come home from work and sit down to play a game then spend hours updating the thing and don't have time to play till the next day.

Granted consoles are more convenient, but PC's are more flexible. Each to their own though.
Insert Coin[s]
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Vamino Vamino wrote:

I've now had my i7 6700k for over 4 years but it still holds up like a champ.....and I've had my 1st generation i7 rig (Which I use for media encoding) for over 10 years which can still play games relatively well using a 6 core/12 thread overclocked Xeon CPU @ 4.2ghz......that CPU upgrade cost me 30 quid and has been amazing

They do still perform well, but at the same time the 6700k is only as fast as a budget Ryzen these days, everything is relative as usual, but try and hit 4K 60 ultra with that rig :D (I have a 3080 with a Ryzen 2700X and GR Wildlands is still a few fps short of that, but that's the only one so far, HZD is 130 fps :D )

But yeah, keep on top of a PC and upgrading is fairly cheap spread over time, and even if you buy a new PC, it works out much cheaper than the cost of a console over the lifespan as game prices aren't near as bad, next gen is looking like 60/70 a title at first.
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 11:04am
How did you get the 3080 so early? Shocked

Before the 2070 I had a 8GB RX580 which was a stop gap as the mining craze had ramped up GPU prices to silly levels, I don't normally buy AMD GPU's as I've had loads of issues with drivers and inconsistent FPS. But the card was cheap and I only had a 1080p monitor then.

It was a solid 1080p card but it started to drop off at higher resolutions. When I upgraded my monitor to a 32' 1440p that's when I bought the 2070, it really is a fantastic little card. I paid £340 for the card last Black Friday and the market value hasn't dropped much at all.

The RX580 fps at 1440p was OK but it just wasn't a smooth experience. I sold it in a PC build pretty much for the same price I paid for it. Yeah I imagine 4k would bring my rig to it's knees, but for 1440p at high/ultra settings it's well balanced as I can't run at a higher res anyway due the the native resolution of the monitor.

Once the new AMD CPU's come out I'll see how the prices are. If the 3950x comes down in price then that'll be the one I go for. Whenever I upgrade I try to get double the performance of my current rig if it's starting to struggle, no point upgrading otherwise imo.
Insert Coin[s]
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Vamino Vamino wrote:

How did you get the 3080 so early? Shocked

I had 4 shops open, some died under load, but I had my cunning plan, and got to the order on the dot with two. Mind, they still screwed up my delivery, I got my new PSU and no GPU, had to wait another day and a few phone calls for that! LOL

Also, it's very fast  Wink
LHantz View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 11:23am
Missed this thread! 

I managed to pre-order a PS5 (disc) from Amazon on 17th. Was following the whole 'launch' from the previous night (after the showcase) got an Email from Game (forgot I posted interest) tried to purchase, but I couldn't log into my account! So I read a forum and found out about Amazon going live at 9am the next day. It's been interesting to see how this has gone for people, with websites crashing, getting into fights outside stores etc

Getting mine to play Demon's Souls, and play the PS4 exclusives at 4k 60hz, if I find I don't like, then I'll sell it hopefully at cost.

You either like consoles or you don't, I get what people say about not having enough time, only game I have played this year was Last Of Us 2 and that was excellent, but good games are outnumbered by like 40/1, so I don't waste time with most.

Looking forward to it, bring it on!
Collector for 25 years - New from '92 - Electrocoin Xenon SFII CE - Over 150 original PCBs - Darksoft Multi CPS2/Taito F3/Neo Geo/Irem M72/Sega Sys16 - JROK multi Williams
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 11:50am
Originally posted by LHantz LHantz wrote:

and play the PS4 exclusives at 4k 60hz

Well the first exclusive is 30fps, and I would expect quite a few more with any form of raytracing turned on!

Edited by ZedEx48K - 30 Sep 2020 at 11:50am
LHantz View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 12:59pm
Looks like there is a 'Boost mode' which will make all the PS4 titles 4k 60, obv a patch would be better...
Collector for 25 years - New from '92 - Electrocoin Xenon SFII CE - Over 150 original PCBs - Darksoft Multi CPS2/Taito F3/Neo Geo/Irem M72/Sega Sys16 - JROK multi Williams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic