ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Arduino In-Circuit Tester: Build Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:15am
Awesome to see the 68000 is making progress. Let us know how it goes!
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:14pm
Hey guys, I've just started to put my own tester together and came across a smallish issue.  Thought I would mention the problem and the fix. 

It's probably something very simple for you Arduino guys, but for an inexperienced user like me took me a bit of time to figure it out

Basically I purchased a SainSmart Arduino and a compatible LCD module.  The LCD was labelled "Drive the Future".  I think this is classed as a "Robot" shield

I compiled the code and uploaded it as per Paul's instructions but I could not get the keys to work apart from "Right" and "Reset".  I initally thought the shield was faulty however I tested this out and it was ok.

Looking into this, the keys are defined in

Arduino\libraries\DFR_Key\DFR_Key.cpp

e.g.

ifdef DF_ROBOT_V1
    static int RIGHTKEY_ARV = 0;    //that's read "analogue read value"
    static int UPKEY_ARV    = 98; 
    static int DOWNKEY_ARV    = 254;
    static int LEFTKEY_ARV    = 407;
    static int SELKEY_ARV    = 638;
    static int NOKEY_ARV    = 1023;

#else
    static int RIGHTKEY_ARV = 0;
    static int UPKEY_ARV    = 144;
    static int DOWNKEY_ARV    = 329;
    static int LEFTKEY_ARV    = 505;
    static int SELKEY_ARV    = 742;
    static int NOKEY_ARV    = 1023;

Now it says the Robot is defined but these values would not work for me so I had to figure out a way to output the values which were on mine, as I had no idea what they were.  I could then comment out the #else values and define my own.

Using the example (1) on this website I modified the code to do just that using the code for each button:

lcd.print(analogRead(0));

Anyway I've attached the sketch that I've modified so it will allow you to test your LCD and will also give you the analog values for each key press if someone has the same issues

Hope it helps!

uploads/665/sketch_feb22a.zip

Edited by Purity - 23 Feb 2017 at 11:23pm
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 12:13pm
Can I ask what the jumper settings are for the T11, 6802 and 8080 are please?

They are not listed on the website
PaulSwan View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
ZZZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 12:45am
I've updated the table on the page to include the missing ones.
Thanks,
Paul.

ZZZ
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:35am
For 6502 Asteroids I'm going to take a look through Guddler's Asteroids code and get acquainted with it. I see by the comments it's a WIP from a year ago but an awesome foundation.

https://github.com/Guddler/arduino-mega-ict/tree/asteroids/libraries/C6502Cpu
NES4Life
-------------
Owner of ... too many cabs!
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 11:02am
Originally posted by PaulSwan PaulSwan wrote:

I've updated the table on the page to include the missing ones.
Thanks,
Paul.

Thanks Paul
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 5:52pm
I don't want to seem as though I'm teaching people to suck eggs, and apologies if it comes across like that, but I thought it was important to highlight info about the orientation of the ribbon cables.

It became an issue for me because I could see a difference in the orientation on images of peoples builds online, and surely they all can't be correct :-) 

So I'm pretty sure that this is the pinout on both the header and shield.  Paul kindly took some hi-res images for me and it seemed to confirm this.  So J2<->J6, and J3<->J7

The rainbow ribbons that Alex linked to on the first page has a tab so use that to make sure your orientation is correct.  So if the orange circled pin is pin 1 on the shield it needs to be the same orientation and pin 1 on the header pcb using the other end of the ribbon cable.

If you get this the wrong way round you are likely to cause a short and it will cause your ribbons to smoke and possibly die, and possibly other things, so another reason for this post.

Hope it helps and makes sense!

Edited by Purity - 01 Mar 2017 at 5:56pm
Judder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 6:03pm
Good call Ben Thumbs Up

Guddler and I had some fun with this exact issue initially as my first photo had the board the wrong way up, so I made the following to double check

and Guddler did a nice side shot of his to show the same setup

Hope that helps also - just for reference - and the way I remember it is that the outer connector on the shield (1 2 in my photo) connects to the header side where you still have a row of pins visible from the underneath
http://www.thedefenderproject.com/
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 6:27pm
I'm glad it wasn't just me :-)  Thanks for the pictures!
The Last Bandit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 8:12pm
Any reason not to use boxed IDC headers ?

Edited by The Last Bandit - 01 Mar 2017 at 8:13pm
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 8:33pm
IDC headers are fine if you know the orientation and pinout LOL, and that was the problem

It's obvious on the header PCB, but not so obvious on the shield

Can't use IDC headers if you don't know which way round they should go Wink

Now that it's clear what pins are what you can easily use IDC headers to make sure the correcting pins are going to each other - good idea

Edited by Purity - 01 Mar 2017 at 8:35pm
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 9:57am
Hey Paul, I've started to look at a Pac-land PCB which is 6809E. How hard would it be to add support (even partial support) for that board? There's 8x 6116 RAMs and 13x 27128 EPROMs to exercise.
NES4Life
-------------
PaulSwan View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
ZZZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 4:31pm
Since this is a 6809E you'll need to find the first clock stage so you can use clock mastering. Typically it's a 74xx04 somewhere new the crystal (if it has a crystal) or near to the oscillator IC (if it uses one of those).

You'll need to remove the IC and socket so you can replace that clock with one from the tester. Then it's a matter of adding in the game description.

Paul.

ZZZ
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 8:35pm
Thanks Paul, there's an oscillator at 4D (see red square on pic). You want me to socket it and when I hook up the Arduino I should remove it and have the arduino run the clock signal? Is there a wire I need to run to the socket or is it all done through the ICT header?

NES4Life
-------------
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:25pm
Paul, do you have a video or something that can explain one of the game implementations in this?
I really want to contribute, and am willing to put the effort and time in, but I'd just like something like the Star Wars implementation explained. It'd be great to see where you got the info for the ram / rom addresses etc.

I've got a list of games I'd like to see supported so I'd like to get involved with bringing those games to the tester. Pac-land (Galaga & Mappy are the same hardware) and Asteroids are my current number 1.

Edited by Nes4life - 16 Apr 2017 at 8:27pm
NES4Life
-------------
PaulSwan View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
ZZZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 4:06am
That is an oscillator - to be sure it's the right one MAME usually carries and indication of the processor speed that should be some divisor of that. For example, in the MAME driver, "pacland.cpp" (from the MAME source code package), this line shows which oscillator applies to the 6809E:

MCFG_CPU_ADD("maincpu", M6809, XTAL_49_152MHz/32) /* 1.536 MHz */

Also in that file you'll see the memory map for the ROMS, RAMS & IO addresses etc. A similar format is used in the game descriptions in the tester software.

Because the oscillator is awkward to remove due to the hidden pins and is rare to replace, it's usually easier to find the IC that the clock out is connected to nearby and cut that out instead. If you're lucky, it might go to a custom that's already in a socket. Bend out the clock input pin on the IC and attach it to a fly lead from the aux connector on the ICT shield (same as Star Wars, J14 AUX pin 8 (next to the 2-pin GND pin)).

The games are added by defining their description, e.g.
https://github.com/prswan/arduino-mega-ict/blob/master/libraries/CZ80Cpu/CGalaxianBaseGame.cpp

I've chosen to do base platforms and then define games that run on them but you can choose to simply put the descriptions all in one for simplicity. You can ignore interrupts & customs functions to get started and just plumb in ROM & RAM to get going.

Paul.

ZZZ
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 8:04am
Thanks Paul. I'll take a closer look at the MAME source code and start there. I'll share code over GitHub if I put something of worth together.

ADMINS: can we get this project stickied?
NES4Life
-------------
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 9:36am
Stickied Thumbs Up
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 9:56pm
As an ICT this tester could probably be extended to also work as a Signature Analyser right?
Used with an additional single pin probe attachment it could request the user place the pin at specific points on the board, read the signature produced by a known pattern and then confirm if it's as expected. The advantage here is that it could probably pinpoint a failed component. It'd be like an Atari Catbox.

Good idea or too much hard work?

Edited by Nes4life - 18 Apr 2017 at 9:59pm
NES4Life
-------------
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Purity Purity wrote:

I've just started to put my own tester together and came across a smallish issue. ... SainSmart Arduino and a compatible LCD module... I've attached the sketch that I've modified so it will allow you to test your LCD and will also give you the analog values for each key press if someone has the same issues. Hope it helps! uploads/665/sketch_feb22a.zip

Thanks Purity! The buttons on my LCD now work properly! Smile
NES4Life
-------------
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic