ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Arduino In-Circuit Tester: Build Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Nes4life Nes4life wrote:

Thanks Purity! The buttons on my LCD now work properly! Smile

No worries fella!  Glad someone got some use out of it

I didn't want to edit the main program, but it might be worth putting in ranges for buttons rather than specific values so it is more compatible with most LCD modules?

Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:54pm
Finally got the first prototype of the Pacland tests running today and happy to say it found a dead RAM for me. I'm going to replace it tomorrow and see where it leads me next.

Big thanks to Paul for checking my code and patiently explaining stuff to me as I get up to speed with the ICT. Got a number of PCBs to play with so should be able to fully test the tester

NES4Life
-------------
Owner of ... too many cabs!
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 12:17am
Cool.  Was going to see if I could adapt the Champ Sprint Code to test a Paperboy PCB over the weekend.  Should be fairly straightforward ?? :-)

Edited by Purity - 09 May 2017 at 12:17am
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 9:10am
Anyone else need another core pcb (not the header) with no resistors in the design? Would someone who knows how to do these things edit the core pcb file, replace all the resistors with traces and make the file available please?
Anyone else need a 8080 header or 68000 header? If these’s any of these for sale I’d like one but otherwise I’d be happy to do or participate in a run on all of these (and hand them out at the Arcade Club meet if there’s time).

Edited by Nes4life - 05 Oct 2017 at 9:12am
NES4Life
-------------
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:37am
Rather than alter the design of the PCB so that you have a bespoke one just for a single processor, why not add either wire links or 0 ohm resistors? Granted, you still need to order some in either case but at least you don't have to worry about changing the design.
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:46am
Ah, my thoughts were the opposite to avoid soldering time. Why order a pcb where I’ll need to solder in many many patch wires when I can just alter the design and order them with no need to patch. I’m the 2nd person that I know of to come across this issue (and on a different pcb) so thought maybe it was something we could all do with. But yeah, if it’s tricky to alter the file then I could order a standard pcb and do the solder work.

Edited by Nes4life - 05 Oct 2017 at 10:46am
NES4Life
-------------
Judder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:50am

I’m the 2nd person that I know of to come across this issue (and on a different pcb) so thought maybe it was something we could all do with.

Maybe just drop Paul a quick email / PM and ask him if he would add a version without the resistor requirements? - he's a very nice guy Clap

I know that he has been optimising the design over time but probably like me has been off doing other projects for a while

If not I can ask him, or make the changes for you - IIRC the design is in Eagle and Paul shared the source board design files
http://www.thedefenderproject.com/
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:52am
Yeah, I just had a nose at page one. I'd forgotten how many resistors were on this thing

It isn't difficult to make the changes in Eagle but I've not even so much as looked at anything Arcade related for months if not years now. This was probably the last involvement i had in the 'scene'.
NoellEagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoellEagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 7:11pm
Hi..i am a new user here. In my case i get a motherboard knocked up soonish which will take the arduino as a daughter board and have a row of connectors so other processor adapters can be plugged in. I have tried to use the video library to display info on a monitor but the pins used are slap bang in the middle of the pins I use so shelved that for time being. Hooks up to a laptop with a terminal program controlling it. Have to say it works well and has helped me find some awkward faults. Its on going atm. I did make a program which clips over logic chips and also tests chips in-circuit. < style="display: none;" id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" -install-updates-user-configuration="true" -sups-flavor-configuration="true" -extension-version="0.5.0.161">

Edited by NoellEagan - 24 Nov 2017 at 9:19pm
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 11:23pm
Did a small print run and the 'XR' resistor-less shields work fine (at least with the Asteroids I tested)

The 'XR' resistor-less shield can be bought from OSH Park here (soon):
The source for the 'XR' resistor-less shield can be downloaded here:

Selling 2 spares here:

Edited by Nes4life - 11 Nov 2017 at 11:23pm
NES4Life
-------------
Dave2084 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave2084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 11:01pm
Anyone got any spare standard probe heads for sale?
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 2:59pm
Here's my code for Asteroids and Pacland:

Just download the core from Paul's GitHub repo and then add these files for Asteroids and Pacland support.
NES4Life
-------------
Judder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Purity Purity wrote:

Basically I purchased a SainSmart Arduino and a compatible LCD module.  The LCD was labelled "Drive the Future".  I think this is classed as a "Robot" shield

I compiled the code and uploaded it as per Paul's instructions but I could not get the keys to work apart from "Right" and "Reset".  I initally thought the shield was faulty however I tested this out and it was ok.

I had the similar problem re-testing mine recently with a SainSmart clone LCD and button display and found a potentially cleaner way to fix this was to widen the threshold value in the DFR_Key.cpp file in libraries/DFR_Key/DFR_Key.cpp

As the analogue values on the keys are actually quite a way apart from each other (approx. 250), we should be able to have 'bands' where each key is successfully detected, even if you are using a clone shield versus an original

static int DEFAULT_THRESHOLD = 25;

BTW Right is value 0 so this will always work, and Reset is hard wired, so if only your Right button is working and your Reset, then this is probably why Big smile

On another note I'm thinking of attempting Slap Fight with the Z80 driver as I have a board that's playing up of that at the moment - it's got 2 x Z80s - one of the main game and one for the sound driver so focusing on the main one first makes sense

If anyone else wants to join in, drop me a PM or join the thread Thumbs Up
http://www.thedefenderproject.com/
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 3:40pm
Slap Fight sounds like a great one to add. I’m working on supporting Arkanoid at the moment. Will share on my GitHub when it’s ready.
NES4Life
-------------
Bytestorm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bytestorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:49am
Thinking about ordering these probes and the shield from oshpark.
The versions submitted there, are they all the latest and the greatest?

Arduino ICT Probe 68000 V1.00 (Shared on March 29th, 2017 15:22)
Arduino/Fluke DIL40 Probe V1.01 (Shared on March 13th, 2014 15:24) (usable with z80/6809?)
Arduinio In Circuit Test Shield V1.10 (Shared on September 13th, 2014 18:50)

My main goal is to use them for z80,6809,68000 boards.

I already have a spare arduino 2560 r3 + display board that I thought I could try :)

Should I order away or anything new on the way/updates to the pcbs?

Thanks!

Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:08pm
If you want a version of the ICT shield with all the resistors bypassed then you can order this:

I found that in some cases (working with Asteroids) I needed the resistors removed in order to read / write to the RAM & ROM.
NES4Life
-------------
Bytestorm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bytestorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 2:15pm

If you want a version of the ICT shield with all the resistors bypassed then you can order this:

I found that in some cases (working with Asteroids) I needed the resistors removed in order to read / write to the RAM & ROM.

Hmm I think ill need the resistorn for safety, but jumperable would be the best :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic