Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Asteroids repair help (please)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshire_spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Player Player wrote:

Originally posted by yorkshire_spam yorkshire_spam wrote:

Just got my Asty PCB out of storage - I fixed it about 6 months ago ready for the machine being in the house... guess what? It's not working! Back to fixing it again.

So yes.... don't expect it to work for ever! ;-)

Let me know if you need any tech advice ;)

Wasted about 45 minutes this evening being baffled by the data bus transceiver and R_W/address circuit... turns out my Asteroids board doesn't match the Asteroids schematic for that section, but I found out later it matches the Asteroids Deluxe schematic. Bstd futher mucker.

bones View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:36am
   Nice result Player, a compelling read and glad you got there. A brief description of this in the fix log would truly be appreciated.
I've been looking for a Taito space invaders part 2 cocktail table cash box for years now😢😢😢
Player View Drop Down
User
User

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by bones bones wrote:

Nice result Player, a compelling read and glad you got there. A brief description of this in the fix log would truly be appreciated.

I will look at how to do this :).
Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 10:55am
So theres good news and bad news. First the good (last night this was)

And then this morning when I was going to let my daughter play....

It's broke again after just a few games. I noticed that the atari logo at the bottom was wobbling slightly last night. 

The scope showed the pic when it was working, will have to hook it up again later, see if it's board or monitor :(

DaveSpicer View Drop Down
User
User
Can program FPGAs by staring at them

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSpicer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 7:04pm
A game PCB problem I would say.  What does the test mode screen look like?

Edited by DaveSpicer - 26 Nov 2020 at 7:05pm
Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by DaveSpicer DaveSpicer wrote:

A game PCB problem I would say.  What does the test mode screen look like?

Hi Dave.

Not looked at it yet. I switched it on this morning hoping "it may have fixed itself" LOL. I need to take another look. Info to follow.

Cheers

John
Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 7:31pm
Yes 100% the game board :(. Anyone have any idea at all where i'm going to start looking. Any help at all or even a point in the right direction would be great.

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSpicer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:09pm
The test mode behaviour would make me want to suspect something in the vector timer area.  It looks like the gradients are correct and the draw time is wrong.  Something of a wild guess based on limited evidence mind you!  What do you get if monitor X and Y vs time, rather than in XY mode?  The scope may not trigger nicely on the raw signals, in which case you can monitor 'go' with one channel and use that as the trigger.  See the picture I posted further back for an example of what you should get.

I don't suppose you have a logic analyser?
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSpicer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:12pm
Are you still getting a decent 5V level at the game board?
Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by DaveSpicer DaveSpicer wrote:

The test mode behaviour would make me want to suspect something in the vector timer area.  It looks like the gradients are correct and the draw time is wrong.  Something of a wild guess based on limited evidence mind you!  What do you get if monitor X and Y vs time, rather than in XY mode?  The scope may not trigger nicely on the raw signals, in which case you can monitor 'go' with one channel and use that as the trigger.  See the picture I posted further back for an example of what you should get.

I don't suppose you have a logic analyser?

A logic what? LOL. No sorry I don't. I'll have to look back and try and get my head around it. Thnaks for the reply.

Cheers

John
yorkshire_spam View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshire_spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:22pm
Can I join the Asteroids PCB fault club? 
What's the first rule of Faulty Asteroids Club?

Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:45pm

The first rule is ask Dave ;)
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSpicer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 9:53pm
There are a couple of old threads where Guddler talks about grounding DIAG STEP to run a really simple vector test.  Might be worth looking into to cut down on the amount of activity.

If I get a moment, I'll see if I can pull some useful signatures from my board for comparison.  I have it set up on the bench at the momennt as I was planning to debug an audio fault.

EDIT: I was replying to Player here.  I didn't see Sam's post until later.

Edited by DaveSpicer - 26 Nov 2020 at 10:54pm
yorkshire_spam View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshire_spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 10:02pm
Pretty sure mine is a dry joint or something, with the board on the bench flexing it makes the fault appear/disappear.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSpicer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 10:48pm

Whoa!  That's pretty artistic.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSpicer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 10:52pm

Is bit 5 of Y (DACY6) stuck at the DAC input?

Edited by DaveSpicer - 26 Nov 2020 at 10:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic