Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

ATARI Asteroids Deluxe restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:18pm
And painted with grey primer and satin black

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:27pm
My intention to restore the kick panel and play areas either side of the bezel was to overlay with self adhesive vinyl

Both areas had a horrible glossy paint on it that had been badly applied. It took alot of work but I managed to get the paint runs and orange peel effect off - and most of the paint with surgical spirit and kitchen roll

Sadly the original black laminate didn't come up as good as I had hoped - otherwise I would have left the original black laminate as the final surface

And the play areas had missing vinyl and gouges that had to be filled

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:29pm
I started on the play areas either side of the bezel. made paper templates first as there was a few angle to cut 

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:34pm
Then once the paper template proved accurate, used it to cut the shape from Pica Black self adhesive vinyl

Cut with a sharp Stanley knife and a 1m straight edge on a large flat sheet of laminated chipboard

Then carefully applied to cabinet, smoothing down to ensure no air bubbles and then adhesive warmed with a hot air gun to ensure maximum adhesion

As you can see I made these 1/2" bigger than the edge of the cabinet so they could be trimmed with a Stanley blade once applied - and hopefully would be a nice tight fit to the edge of new T moulding

Edited by namfreak - 10 Oct 2020 at 8:36pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:40pm
Small area to side of control panel was a seperate piece. I joined these two separate panels with a 45 degree join that I hoped would not be too visible

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:43pm
Speaker panel re-vinyled and X slices made through the vinyl, once applied, for bolt holes

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:46pm
Small angles pieces on vinyl cut to go up and over the marquee area and extend to rear of cabinet where the join between new and old won't be seen

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:47pm
Vinyl patches to cover repairs to cabinet internally

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:53pm
Kick panel

LAZORIAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAZORIAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 12:10pm
That looks like painstaking work cutting all that vinyl! It does give a nice result though.
I need to go back through this resto from the beginning and read it properly.
Keep up the good work!
My cabs: Track and Field, Mr.Do, Pacmania, Space Ace, Gorf, Jungle King, Astron Belt, Gyruss, OutRun, Frogger, Defender, Return of the Jedi, M.A.C.H 3, Firefox, Tron.
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 8:31pm
Next was to apply the new side art. As I mentioned earlier this was obtained from Phoenix Arcade and was made from the original Atari films. Comparing it to samples of the old artwork I had removed it was a perfect match in terms of scale and finish

I had it stored rolled up for over a year, so left it for a a couple of days to relax, laid out flat

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 8:41pm
I laid the side art out on the cabinet side, and started marking where the edges of the cabinet should be with masking tape. These references were from dimensions I had taken before removing the old side art from key points on the image - namely the planets at the top of the artwork and the space ship toward the bottom

When moving the artwork a few millimetres in each direction to get an accurate position on the cabinet side, I had to weigh it down with what items I had to hand in the garage

With help of an assistant (the wife - she's well practised in applying side art and vinyl after al these years!) I cut off the bottom 1/3 of the backing paper, holding the artwork off the cabinet sides. Then smoothed down the bottom 1/3 which would fix the artwork in place

Then cut off the backing paper to approx 2/3 up and smoothed that down. I didn't take too much backing paper off in one go and try to apply it all as the artwork is quite thin and difficult to handle

then once 2/3 of the art was fixed I removed the backing paper from the top 1/3 and smoothed that down to completion

Applied the heat gun all over to soften the adhesive and aid adhesion

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 8:45pm
Trimmed excess vinyl off to the edge of the cabinet by carefully running a fresh sharp Stanley knife blade along the edge

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:00pm
Next was to fit the new 3/4" smooth black T moulding.

I like to have my T moulding run all the way round and meet on the lower edge with no gaps

I had to take little v cuts out of the "fin" on some of the bends to get the moulding to fit nicely, and add a sot or two of hot melt glue in these locations

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:06pm
And repeat for LH panel..........

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:08pm
At this stage I could then get the completed cabinet onto the sack barrow and place the empty shell back into the gamesroom

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:43pm
Next was to start on the metalwork

The control panel fitted to the cabinet before disassembly was a little bent - it had a bad curve in it's upper edge. I had took the decision way back then to source a straight one for use in the restoration

This was one of my many spare parts purchases in the 2 years prior to staring the restoration

I stripped the old decal and put it with all the other metalwork (marquee rails, speaker grille coin door) for stripping the old finish with Nitromors pant stripper

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:52pm
The Nitromors didn't quite obtain the clean bare metal on all the components that I've found in the past - some of the paint and old control panel overlay adhesive was just too stubborn

So off it went to my shotblasting guy for a going over with aluminium oxide grit to clean off all old coatings and give me clean bare metal ready for a uniform re-finish

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:59pm
The plastic coin slot and coin return flap bezels had been sprayed over in the past when someone tried to "refresh" the coin door

They just looked plain wrong - thick black glossy paint over them

I found I could get this of with surgical spirit and lost of rubbing with paper towels and eventually using a Dremel tool with a rotating nylon brush to get into the "texture" of the plastic mouldings

Eventually got the paint off and back to the original bare plastic with a satin black finish

Haves1979 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haves1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 11:06pm
Nitromors definitely isnt as effective as it used to be. Going to be fantastic when completed!

Can I ask what the bike on your wall with the mag wheels is?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic