Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

ATARI Asteroids Deluxe restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 8:55pm
The to re-fit the cardboard background to the inside of the cabinet,

I did a bit more touch up with Tamiya XF-1 Flat black paint, and reinforced some of the folds on the reverse with black Gaffa tape

Originally the background was stapled to the inside of the cabinet - which damaged it if it ever needed to be removed (usually to remove the monitor for service)

After I had repaired it I thought the best way to fix it was to use self adhesive Velcro pads. This gave me security of the background but could be removed and replaced over and over without damaging the cardboard

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 9:01pm
And refitted to cabinet. 
I think it's a far more accurate fit than it was originally. I imagine they just got stapled in quickly at the Atari factory not paying much heed to if it was straight or met with the blocking on the side to give a seamless background with the monitor surround...

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 hours 3 minutes ago at 7:57pm
Re-fitted the half silvered mirror to the cabinet that sits in front of the cardboard background

Now the reverse monitor image is displayed correctly

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 59 minutes ago at 8:01pm
Fitted repro Atari decals to rear of cabinet, courtesy of Etienne Op den Kelder

Silver foil one has cab serial number and model nr reproduced from the torn original

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 45 minutes ago at 8:15pm
The cardboard monitor surround is made from quite thin card, and as it stands off the monitor tube face a little way it has sagged over the years. This resulted in some tears before I repaired it and loss of illusion where it bows in the centre showing the cabinet internals behind

I decided to make a stiff cardboard support for it. Used (appropriately enough) some of the double layer corrugated cardboard that the cabinet was wrapped in from the USA. Retains a bit of the cabinet's recent history!

Now the surround fits nice and snug and will not sag or bow. The triangular "wings" on each side were secured to the cab with self adhesive Velcro pads as the background, replacing the original staple method

Edited by namfreak - 12 hours 43 minutes ago at 8:17pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 36 minutes ago at 8:24pm
I temporarily fitted the original monitor bezel back in place to check how the monitor image was with the blue gel on the cardboard surround transforming the black and white vector image

Yes the bezel is original, but terribly hazy

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 hours 27 minutes ago at 8:33pm
So a while back I had ordered the reproduction bezel from This Old Game. Let's hope it's better than their Asty Dlx marquee

So it's really very nice, and the silvery grey is slightly different on the repro - it's almost like a foiled silver and in my opinion looks way better than the original!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic