FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Atari Audio II pinout?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atari Audio II pinout?
    Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 7:12pm
Anyone have the pinout for the Audio II pcb? Part A043661. Or even better the later System 1 wiring diagram using this pcb rather than the AR3.

My System 1 sound wiring is all hacked up so not got much to work with left on the loom.

Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
RaveN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaveN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:21pm
The pinout is on page 2 of the schematic manual:
https://archive.org/download/arcademanual_Championship_Sprint_SP292_1st_Printing/Championship_Sprint_SP292_1st_Printing.pdf

It's not clear at first, and Atari did a lot of combinations with psu/sound boards during that era.

I'm not sure what you mean about System1, this pcb was never used in system1 games. It was introduced mid-way through system 2 to combat the AR3 noise issues with having a front mounted pot.

Welcome to bonus stage.
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by RaveN RaveN wrote:

The pinout is on page 2 of the schematic manual:
https://archive.org/download/arcademanual_Championship_Sprint_SP292_1st_Printing/Championship_Sprint_SP292_1st_Printing.pdf

It's not clear at first, and Atari did a lot of combinations with psu/sound boards during that era.
Thanks, I did find that but didn't really get to grips with how exactly to just use the audio amp section of it...seems like it needs 22v which I don't have. Been trying with a simple amplifier up to the volume pots that runs off the 5v line, but only getting 1 side putting out any audio and that's very quiet and distorted so may have a fault.

I'm not sure what you mean about System1, this pcb was never used in system1 games. It was introduced mid-way through system 2 to combat the AR3 noise issues with having a front mounted pot.

It definitely was used in later years on System 1 games, it's shown in the Road Blasters manual, unfortunately without a wiring diagram though.

Edited by muddymusic - 10 Aug 2018 at 9:03pm
Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 9:51pm
I've got an atari audio 2 board, you could borrow if needed.

You made it Rambo!
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 10:33pm
Hey Muddy,

I came across the same issue quite some time ago, when I was hoping to use the Atari Audio II as part of my Championship Sprint/Paperboy test rig.

I realised that it requires a specific power supply.  The power supply I had available (Atari brick type) only supplied 36v AC and 10.3v DC, so I really needed an AR3.  AR3's are expensive, and not easy to get hold of it seems, although Tony Temple had a couple for sale at a very cheap price Clap

The specific power outputs are 18v AC and 12v AC and it also powers a switcher

I think I have a picture of it somewhere, when I was looking into this

Anyway I came to the conclusion I couldn't use it but maybe I am wrong? 

Bods told me he had one working in his Paperboy/CS cab but I suspect this was because it was using that specific power supply.

Hope that helps?

Edited by Purity - 10 Aug 2018 at 10:52pm
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 10:49pm
So brick like what stryrk used here:

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/atari-system-2-championship-sprint_topic338957_page4.html

= AR3

Brick like on Aussie arcades:

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/11757-Atari-Championship-Sprint

= Atari Audio II

RaveN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaveN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 12:00am
Thanks muddymusic for bringing that to my attention, I've never seen it in a system1 cab before. I've spent some time documenting the AR1/2/3 uses, and I'd never seen it before on system1.

Purity: The problem with what you say is, why would you use it with an AR3, when the reason for using the Audio II is to remove the requirement of the audio AR3 in the first place?

Muddy: Surely your brick must have the 36VAC centre tapped output required to make the 22v DC?

You have to be careful with system2 games.
You'll notice there's two types. There's games like paperboy and ssprint, that have pcbs with tda ampilfiers on the cpu boards. And there's later games like ccsprint (only some of them) that have TL opamps as the output stage instead.  There's a reason for this, which dictates the type of amplifier required.

Andy
Welcome to bonus stage.
simonden View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 8:57am
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

seems like it needs 22v which I don't have.

Where are you seeing that?  From the schematics it looks like it only needs 18vAC and 12vAC and even then, all they are doing are creating a regulated 14vDC to power the amp and send to the CPU and Video board. So in theory you could test it with a 14vDC PSU on the DC output pins. 

Edit - Just looked again and only the 12vAC (and a ground) is used to create the power to the amp, the 18vAC appears to create 15vDC and goes the the Door Lamps and CPU/Video board.

Edited by simonden - 11 Aug 2018 at 9:07am
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 10:02am

Purity: The problem with what you say is, why would you use it with an AR3, when the reason for using the Audio II is to remove the requirement of the audio AR3 in the first place?

I wasn't using it with an AR3.  I am using the AR3 instead of the Audio II, because I didn't seem to have the right voltages for the Audio II, and for the power requirements of the PCB's
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 5:24pm
I think the problem I've got comes from the brick, probably why the cab was running a switcher in the first place when it came out of the arcade. The 36v from the brick is gone and all the other outputs aren't used, all that the brick is doing now is sending out the power to the monitor.

I've tapped 240v off the mains in for the switcher, and running that to the pcb as it was the most simple way to get it running with large parts of the loom hacked or missing. It seems the Audio 2 won't be much use to me in this setup at all without getting more voltages in.

What I've got at the moment is a small 5v powered amp with stereo in and out, but only getting left side audio very quiet and distorted. I guess there may be an issue further back on the pcb, but first I'm going to try bypassing all the horrible wiring left on the volume pots and go straight in to a hifi amp and see what sound output I get from that.
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:46am
Yup, the brick is the issue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic