ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Atari Tournament Table

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atari Tournament Table
    Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 9:09pm
Friend of mine has spotted one in the wild for sale.

Cant say I ever saw one. I think it could be fun for a few months.
Not something I'd like to keep long term though.

Anyone got or had one?

I'm generally not at all a fan of table format, but for a while - why not?
Coin-op addict 1976-1983, 88-92, 2014-Present. Regional Atari (Pac-Man) Champion 1982. Utter failure at consoles.
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 2:27pm
So, the deafening silence answers that question!

I have a soft spot for Atari. I really don't have the space- but how often does one of these come up??
Coin-op addict 1976-1983, 88-92, 2014-Present. Regional Atari (Pac-Man) Champion 1982. Utter failure at consoles.
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 2:56pm
I've seen them before, iirc it's a 4 player game of the pong type of games (think Video Olympics on the 2600).   Most if not all of the games require multiple players so it's only really any good in a setting where that can happen (like a bar).  It looks pretty fun if you can get some 4 player games going.  Pretty sure Andy Welburn had one or a PCB for it at one time.
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 5:49pm
Indeed- it's 2 or 4 player.

Nice video on YouTube of some guy reviewing it.
It's taller than typical sit down bar tables I know, but no big deal.
I have 3 young kids 8 down to nearly 4 years and I'd have this in the living room for 3 or 4 months then move it on.
They play the Vectrex regularly enough and this would look quite nice to it I think :)

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:16pm
They are as rare as hell. I believe they were built in Europe only. I don't believe any were made or sent to the USA.

If cheap worth getting!!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:44pm
According to VAPS/KLOV/Flyer Archive it was definitely State side.

A certain Andrew Welburn is indeed mentioned as owning a board...http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/game_census.php?klov_id=10177

I have asked the owner to post some more photos. Only partial close-ups of the top, nothing from the sides. It's 1h30 drive from me - so I can't just pop over for a quick peek :(

It is "cheap" - claims monitor no longer working, and been "in a café/bar" for the last 30 years. 

It is quite appealing though...Embarrassed

Morty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 12:00pm
I say go and snap it up, I'm sure it will be a fun to play. I remember studying the details of this game about 10 years ago but I've never seen one for sale. The fact it plays multiple games means it will stay fun for longer

Wanted: Konami Track and Field / System 1 Roadrunner kit / Lottery Win.
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 12:25pm
I'm definitely cracking....aaargh...
As fair and honest appraisal (as in covering my @ss with the wife), would someone on here be interested in it in a few months time?
backflipper View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backflipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:00pm
Dan is right on the money the PCB is basically an Atari 2600.

It's worth grabbing for sure if the price is right.  Not sure on value though.
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 4:11pm
Bid put on. Still no response from the seller on more photos though.

I hate when good stuff ends up on eBay - but I swear to gawd I'm sick to the back teeth of sellers here in Europe who advertise then abandon on local "for sale" sites. At least with eBay they are legally obliged to sell.
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 6:23pm
The seller got back to me this afternoon. He's accepted my bid. Hopefully Sunday morning I'll pick it up. Woo and Hoo get together!

This is what I'm addicted to about this lifestyle. Saving stuff from oblivion, or at least from those who want to rip it's guts out...

As many others have said...if I had the money and the space, I'd have that..

My wife has already made it clear she will kill me when I bring this home...so please consider this evidence for the defence.

Morty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 7:13pm
Great news, looking forward to some pictures
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 10:50pm
Slight change of plan - it'll be Monday evening I pick it up, then drop it off at my pinball mate who'll have a look at the monitor for me.

My wife found out via my pinball mate's wife; they were having a girlies dinner last night.
Indeed, I was told I was "dead" Big smile

I'll make sure I get some photos. I just hope the cab isn't hanging together by spit and baling wire :(
With a bit of luck I'll have found a cache - the cab is in an inland tourist "resort" area, lots of little café, camp sites, holiday cabins etc.

Edited by ocb - 19 Aug 2017 at 10:51pm
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 6:26pm
Cab fits in the back of the Alhambra within the usual boot area. Something to be said for this format!

It powers on, will probably need a cap kit for the screen.

Can is in better condition than I'd feared.

I wasn't able to get it to accept credits-but I was able to select through the games. Some of the buttons stick, but such is life.

I'll post some photos tonight!

Owner had it in the family 40 years, his dad ran a pub and his uncle was an operator. None left though :(
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 9:45pm

The white marks on the plexiglass look like a mixture of emulsion paint and some food stuff - possibly icing sugar...Should clean off well. If anyone knows a good product for shining plexiglass? Otherwise I'll google it.

The machine powered up fine. Screen flickers during it's self test. Freeplay button put in place of the front lock, and a hideous iron latch added to keep the coin door closed. Rear panel has a lock, but it seems stuck. 2 screws holding back panel closed - not a big deal.Interlock switches have been removed.

Small bit of rot to the rear panel at the bottom, but overall the cab is in good condition. 

It does soft reset after a couple of minutes of gameplay, but considering it's nearly 40 years old and doesn't look like it's had much maintenance - I'm rather impressed! My pinball mate will give it a clean, check voltages etc, and he's already expressed an interest in taking off my hands when I'm bored with it :)

I can definitely see this being popular with kids and the oldies - the 4 player table football game is surprisingly fun.

Morty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 12:09am
WOW, that's in amazing condition, looks really good

big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 12:09am
That's quite a find! I haven't seen one before.

Try Novus 1 for shining up the plexi, and Novus 2, 3 first, if you need to remove any scratches.

Edited by big10p - 22 Aug 2017 at 12:10am
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 10:22pm
I think it was the Novus stuff I saw someone take Vectrex overlays and transform them "like witchcraft"?

I should maybe start a new thread on the repair section...

My pinball mate is doing the power supply. 

To quote him exactly...

On the power supply, there's a huge capacitor (5cm diameter) Sprague Electrolytic 26.000uF 15V. On mouser, I have plenty of choice from 2.5€ to 32€. I guess the one of 32€ is better than the one of 2.5€.

I don't want to get into the whole conversation of whether the cap needs replacing - I've had endless conversations with him about ESR meters, in circuit and out of circuit testing etc...

I'm also looking for a good write-up on renovating those owl-eyes..I've seen one around at some point...

ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 5:22pm
Serial number 377, made in US.

All the fuses had been bypassed...

New "big blue" cap ordered.
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 9:37pm
Woohoo!
My pinball (and sometime arcade) repair mate has finished the Tourney Table.

Summary of work done:
Cap kit.
Couple of 74C02  (note to anyone ever reading this in the future...74LS02 don't work...)
Liberal application of electrolube on the sticky volcano button.
All in, 16 euro worth of parts - he got lucky in finding a cheap "big blue" cap. I'm scared to ask how many hours he spent...

I've yet to pick it up - but he says it's rock solid now! 
An easy cab to take to meets... :)

*edited to say he ordered the cpu and pia from china, before he knew the 74C02 were "the" problem with soft reset and watch-dogging.
I guess they are "surplus" now...

Edited by ocb - 07 Sep 2017 at 9:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic