Forum Home Forum Home > Pinball > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

B+W Board on Color CRT Monitor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfa75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B+W Board on Color CRT Monitor
    Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 9:00pm
Is it possible to use an B+W Board on a Color CRT Monitor? I would like to connect my Space Invader Deluxe (L-Shape) to an Color CRT Monitor.

Thanks!
GameOn View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GameOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 9:46pm
Most B&W boards output what is in effect a monochrome composite video signal. You can put video out to a phono centre pin and ground to the outer part and plug it to an AV input and you'll get a picture.

It is possible to connect it to an RGB monitor but it depends on the board. Normally there is a video and sync which is combined but you can modify it to give a combined video and sync output.
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 4:54pm
I managed to cmbined the B&W signal from my moonbase to make a psuedo RGB signal. Net result a space invaders which looks similar to the originals with coloured strips but its on a colour monitor.

You also need to tap the sync signal off the boards as RGB has separate sync
WANTED: Any Nichi stuff. Need a set of Legs!!
http://www.arcadetester.co.uk
alfa75 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfa75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 5:19pm
Thanks for the informations, What do you mean exactly with 'You also need to tap the sync signal off the boards as RGB has separate sync'

Sorry I'm not an expert in it, but I try to learn to understand how it works.

Thanks again!
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:48pm
I used the video signal and found the separate sync on the original board. fed the video through couple of gates in a 74LS00 I seem to remember and also fed in some timing signals from the video generator circuit. By doing this, I made a RGB signal which used the original B/W one but switched it on and off at certain lines. This had the effect of making the top part of the screen say light blue, then the next band was red etc. It isnt the same colours as the acetate filters but as I wanted to fit a colour monitor if made a more colourful display than just B/W. I will see if I can dig the circuit out and post it here.

The B/W signal is composite. That means it has video and sync combined. The RGB monitors use the three video signals R,G and B but also have a separate sync input. Sometimes two sync inputs, H and V. Mine just used a single sync which has H and V combined.

Edited by andrewsm - 17 Feb 2017 at 11:51pm
WANTED: Any Nichi stuff. Need a set of Legs!!
http://www.arcadetester.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic