Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Fix logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Bagman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bagman
    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:05am
I've finally got some resemblance of a workbench set up again to it's time to start looking at some faulty boards.  First up a Stern Bagman.

Symptoms: Dead/garbage on screen
Repair: replace EPROMS at 9E, 9F, 9J, 9K, 9N, 1C and SRAM at 1S

First plug in, voltages ok.  Garbage on screen, poked the reset pin of the Z80 with the scope and it was in a watchdog reset cycle.

Checked the first EPROM at 9E and it was duff, replaced, now signs of life...

...but not exactly perfect!  Screen messed up, couldn't start a game, attract mode not going all the way through.  Further probing of the Z80 reset pin indicated that the game was booting but crashing when it got onto the game screen.  So checked the rest of the game ROMs and while I think they were OK they were unfortunately and earlier revision to anything in mame so I had to burn new another 4 out of the remaining 5 so I had an matching set.

Game now plays, but the graphics messed up...

Check the graphics ROMs, the first one at 1C was bad, looking much better... but there's still a small graphics glitch, in this picture you can see a few red lines a way down the screen under the mine cart, a similar red shadow under the lift on the second screen and there were a few other small glitches.

Kinda felt a bit ram related, luckily they're all in sockets on the Stern boards.  Most likely the 82S16 SRAMs at 1P, 1 R, 1S, 1T.

I tried swapping them about to see if the problem moved, when I swapped 1S, 1T the glitch turned yellow so we're onto something. Swapped one of them out and all seems ok.  Need to order some replacements though as I had to borrow one from another board.

Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 10:12am
Excellent writeup and fixing
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 12:26pm
Nice one Will! Need a shot of the new bench setup too
NES4Life
-------------
Owner of ... too many cabs!
t-m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Nes4life Nes4life wrote:

Need a shot of the new bench setup too
It's a right mess at the moment LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic