Forum Home Forum Home > Pinball > General Pinball Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Best Value Pinball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friedgoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Value Pinball
    Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 1:05pm
I want to eventually get a pinball machine but the prices for these things are absolutely insane.
What should I be looking for for a machine on the lowest end of the price scale that still has full LED matrix display / music and features.

I always see these <1980s machines that are much cheaper but just look boring as hell and would like to avoid at all costs. 

stegrey View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 1:11pm
Lethal weapon 3 pinball is a great first pin :)

J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 1:14pm
You're looking at £1k minimum for a decent DMD pin.

Something like Lethal Weapon 3, WWF royal rumble, No Fear, Black Rose
IslandStrife View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandStrife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 1:34pm
Anyone know how much the last lethal weapon 3 that was up for grabs sold for ?
Any cabaret cab with a small footprint considered.
vib_ribbon View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vib_ribbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 1:43pm
LW3 is the general consensus. Thumbs Up

has some nice minigames that involve the flipper buttons to fight and the trigge button to shoot etc.
Chunksin View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by IslandStrife IslandStrife wrote:

Anyone know how much the last lethal weapon 3 that was up for grabs sold for ?

Around the £1200-1300 mark over on pinballinfo.com - worth putting a wanted ad out just in case anyone is looking to sell
davey d View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 3:04pm
Dont be too quick to dismiss Pre DMD games. There are still some really good games with alpha numeric displays like Black Knight 2000, Bride of Pinbot, Roadshow, Funhouse, Whirlwind, Earth Shaker
Body pop View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by davey d davey d wrote:

Dont be too quick to dismiss Pre DMD games. There are still some really good games with alpha numeric displays like Black Knight 2000, Bride of Pinbot, Roadshow, Funhouse, Whirlwind, Earth Shaker

I agree ,I’m actually enjoying the pre dmd games more at the min ,I can never really workout why the 80s pins are so much cheaper
davey d View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Body pop Body pop wrote:

Originally posted by davey d davey d wrote:

I agree ,I’m actually enjoying the pre dmd games more at the min ,I can never really workout why the 80s pins are so much cheaper

Its just supply & demand. People coming into pinball ownership want DMD pins (like the OP of this thread) without giving the older games a chance.
neil1637 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 4:13pm
+1 for Pinbot, BofPinbot and Funhouse.
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - Donkey Kong and Pole Position upright.
stegrey View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 4:18pm
Some of the 80s ones are just as much as games like lw3 now

Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 4:23pm
I actually prefer the 80's pins.  Nothing like a good ole fashion pinning. 
Body pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 5:37pm
I never get bored playing my black knight .
I have to remind myself that is was made in 1980 sometimes .
Such a great flow to it
Friedgoat View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friedgoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 5:40pm
Thanks everyone!
Well as I said, I find the <1980 ones boring. At least the 1980s ones have music!

I will keep an eye out for a lethal weapon when I'm ready then, I was hoping it was going to have some of the guitar and sax in the soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsHK7aOzwGo
Friedgoat View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Friedgoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 5:49pm
Come to think of it, any 80's Cab with decent music / features can be included.
Just watched some gameplay of black knight 2000, wow that music is great.

Edited by Friedgoat - 23 Jan 2019 at 6:01pm
Richard May View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard May Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Body pop Body pop wrote:

I never get bored playing my black knight .
I have to remind myself that is was made in 1980 sometimes .
Such a great flow to it

Black Knight is fantastic

Originally posted by Friedgoat Friedgoat wrote:

Come to think of it, any 80's Cab with decent music / features can be included.
Just watched some gameplay of black knight 2000, wow that music is great.

Got one coming in, plus a Swords of Fury - both fantastic games with great music to match

Edited by kidyamlo - 23 Jan 2019 at 6:08pm
videogamevampires.co.uk
acidburn View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acidburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:20pm
I've had a few pins and honestly Roadshow is the best bang for your buck. You'll pay about £2000-£2500 in the current market but it's a much, much better game than Lethal Weapon which gets old QUICK (as do most Data East pins)

It's a Pat Lawlor original theme and a wide body cab which is packed to the rafters with shots and features.
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN
jugemscloud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jugemscloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 9:05pm
the dmd itself and associated mini games are pretty pointless when considering buying a table imo -the point of the game is controlling the silver ball 

play (IRL) on a decent range of tables 20-30 get to know the kind of shots you like on a table and identify few that have these as potential purchases

the things that dmd tables have over earlier ones; better unique features, more balls in multi-ball, more accumulating shots and better sound. all of which is secondary to gameplay - if the shots are rubbish or low/med skill then you'll be onto something else within a year

there a few tables that were made after 85 that give any dmd table a run for their money in terms of gameplay - pinbot and high speed are two of my favs

Edited by jugemscloud - 23 Jan 2019 at 9:06pm
Patxi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 8:22pm
In my personal opinion LW3 is far away from beeing consider a good flipper.

If i want a good pinball for not too much money i will take a look at some Stern modern pins like Sopranos/Ripley/etc as w/b low price pins are a little oldies.

If you insist on Data East pins maybe a last action hero(magnet), JP, or if you put more money a tommy.

But, in my personal opinion LW3 , as a player not a collector, is boooooooooooring after a month.
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 9:33pm
If you can stretch to £1500 then the Shadow beats anything mentioned in this thread. There was one for sale on ebay a couple of months back for £1450.

Ive owned most of pinsides top 20 and Shadow, Creature from the black lagoon, World Cup Soccer are as good as any of them
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic