Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > High Scores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Bomb Jack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlightbulb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:59am
Ooh I've just got Bomb Jack, so am gonna try and have a go at this, my PB so far is in the 100k range
bountybob View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bountybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 9:48am
Originally posted by bomjac bomjac wrote:

Ill leave you with a teaser from the #1 player in the world.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fwXnoZprGXY

Hmmm level 1-5, I can do them perfect, let's see if he does it the same... Oh. LOL

Is there any real need to do the side point leeching? Is there a kill screen? If not, I don't understand the need for this on the early levels because it hits a point where it doesn't get any harder. If you can just keep clearing levels why point leech on the early ones like this?

Flinnster View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 10:27am
So there's playing the game for casual fun (as I used to), then learning the deeper strategies to score higher.
For me, that's where a lot of games lose their 'fun', but I think BombJack is a great one and it's great fun learning the deeper stuff. Even if you start to think about 'point harvesting' a lot.

Good grief that video though.... that's literally exploiting the bugs and cheesefesting your way to hundreds of thousands. Clever... and kudos to the guy for working it all out.
But while it may be legit to trap the enemies and wiggle constantly down a vertical wall... is it actually playing the game? really?

Edited by Flinnster - 28 Sep 2018 at 10:33am

WTD: Outrun DLX(yes REALLY!), Rolling Thunder, PacMania
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
bomjac View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bomjac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 12:05pm
He's just point pressing the early boards. He has more videos up where he literally clears just about every board in order. Even the hard ones!

bountybob View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bountybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by bomjac bomjac wrote:

He's just point pressing the early boards. He has more videos up where he literally clears just about every board in order. Even the hard ones!

Yeah. been watching one. The enemies aren't hazards, just a mild inconvenience. Round 8 and he's beat my high score which I achieved at about round 20 LOL.
neil1637 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 1:04pm
@bombjac - I watched you for a bit up at Play Glasgow (I think) and it was almost comical the way you casually chatted whilst occasionally glancing back at the screen as you effortlessly weaved between the baddies on about Lv 846!!!

Thanks for the tips for the later levels, which is definitely where I struggle. I can normally get a pretty perfect run up to about Lv12, then things start to collapse, but I am certainly going to now try and implement those later level tips, instead of trying to memorise the whole levels.

As for the point pressing, wiggling down the walls, that for me is just not cricket. And not something I would get into, kudos to the guy though as on his other vids, his skills are amazing.

@Flinnster - I agree, normally when you stop playing for fun and start having to really work at it, the fun evaporates, but not with this, it's a game that just keeps on giving.

Easily in my top 10, maybe top 5...

Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - Donkey Kong and Pole Position upright.
neil1637 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:23pm
Okay then, armed with new found knowledge, courtesy of @bombjac, let's give this a go.

High score to date on my NAC is 781750.

See if I can improve....

neil1637 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:24pm
Awesome photo!

neil1637 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:51pm
Ok, so no improvement (yet), but can already see how this will work.

Much better score per level which is what will help.

iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:22pm
I might give this a blast this weekend... I managed a 1.4 at AC but I think the setting is on easy. Either that or it's a different ROM set.

At home on Hard, I am up to about 800K... 

The video is impressive - I typically get half of his score after the first 5 levels. But I can't bring myself to point press to the extent he does.... I'll do it to tweak my score for the next level or jump on the spot whilst waiting to make a move....

The Extra life isn't strictly every 8 bonus tokens. BJ appears to get more generous if you lose lives - try getting all 4 Bonus on level one and loose all but one of your lives... You will get a extra life straight away on level 2....

Edited by iamjimmi - 28 Sep 2018 at 11:05pm
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 9:36pm
Still on the nursery slopes compared to you guys!

WTD: Outrun DLX(yes REALLY!), Rolling Thunder, PacMania
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 11:15pm
So after watching the youtube video posted by bombjac, I figured I would set myself a mini challenge... try and get 100k on the first level. Looked easy enough in the video....

But to up the game, I am using the Twin Galaxy settings that are harder than settings used in the youtube video.

Bl**dy hell it's hard... put hours into this today and still not managed it. You need to get 3K with as few as bombs as possible and then the first grey P... that releases a Bonus and you then have get all of the bad guys before your P time limit runs out. You then have to get the second grey P when you built up your multiplier to x5 and get all the dad guys again. It is sooo hard... on the hard settings the bad guys move faster than you when your multiplier is on full - and the screen is full of those round orbs that follow your movement but are really difficult to herd...

If you are up for a challenge give it a try (twin galaxy settings are on page 1 of this thread)
neil1637 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 7:59am
Fair play for trying pal, but I'd hate to lose the fun for the sake of say 20k to 25k.
I'm happy with my usual 75k on lv1.

iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 8:37am
Originally posted by neil1637 neil1637 wrote:

Fair play for trying pal, but I'd hate to lose the fun for the sake of say 20k to 25k.
I'm happy with my usual 75k on lv1.

Absolutely.... i just wanted to do it as a stand alone challenge. Once I have ticked the box, I can get back to playing it normally!

Tbh I figured it wouldn't be that hard, and I could get it complete after a few attempts...
neil1637 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 9:13am
Ha ha. Two solid days of trying later.....

iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 12:34pm

At last!!!!!

Only just... but I've reached the target - 100K after level one!!!!

Right... I can dispense with this ridiculous challenge and get on with playing the game again now.... 1M.. here I come!!!!

Edited by iamjimmi - 30 Sep 2018 at 12:36pm
iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 2:51pm
Off topic from high scores... 

Are there any other games that allow you to win a free game - as Bomb Jack does with the "S" token?

I know pinballs have the "Match" that can give you a free game, but I can't think of another video game that gives you the chance to win a free game???

Edited by iamjimmi - 30 Sep 2018 at 2:52pm
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by iamjimmi iamjimmi wrote:

Off topic from high scores... 

Are there any other games that allow you to win a free game - as Bomb Jack does with the "S" token?

I know pinballs have the "Match" that can give you a free game, but I can't think of another video game that gives you the chance to win a free game???
The diamonds in the Mr Do! games, spring to mind. Sure there are others, though.

[edit] Might just be in Mr Do! - don't think you get them in Do Run Run, and no idea about Wild Ride.

Edited by big10p - 30 Sep 2018 at 3:21pm
bomjac View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bomjac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 3:20pm
Universal's Mr Do has the diamond for an extra game. Do's Castle also has it.

I can't comment on whether Do's Wild Ride or Do Run Run have - but I would say there is a good chance they do.

Edited by bomjac - 30 Sep 2018 at 3:21pm
tronads View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tronads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 3:48pm
Wild Ride definitely does. Also Ladybug.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic