Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Fix logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Bonehead's Robotron Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Macro Macro wrote:

oh well, at least being able to look at a comparison from a working board it should highlight that it is different.

You can flag pins as unused by clicking on the pin number, this is stored in the chip configuration and displayed as a cross over the pin number. So when creating the working board project you can disable pins that are unused.

Edited by GadgetFreak - 08 Aug 2018 at 10:52am
Morty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by GadgetFreak GadgetFreak wrote:

It has taken me 2 years to get to this point, I have no end of bits of hardware and prototype circuits all of which proved to have flaws. The LA I am using is not cheap, I have many cheaper ones but IMO its the best currently available.
The software is my own and has taken 100's of hours to develop to this point and is very unique. I am sure other people are capable of producing similar software given the right hardware so until I am ready to start selling the package the hardware will not be made public.
The price point, including hardware, cable & clip, is probably going to be around £450.

Have had a really busy few days with the code, it now has a rough Signature mode that can calculate 1 or more signatures at the same time depending on if you use the clip and/or individual lines. I am now pushing ahead with refining this addition.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, a wise move packaging it with the hardware, not only does it guarantee its compatable (and not a clone someone has bought cheap off ebay!) but also should allow you to make something back for all your hours of work. As a software developer myself i've seen the rise of the "free app" to the point people don't want to pay for software, and as people do a few simple lines of code at school/college/hobby they think its easy.. but forget about the hours of design/analysis required for more complex applications

I was working on a testing system years ago using a HP logic analyser but the hardware was abstracted from the software so people could have used a range of analysers (was my intention) so it was also connected to a Fluke and also a prototype tester (which i believe was made by "Mitchell Gant"). I was focussing on CPU based testing i.e. driving the circuits from the Fluke but I did start playing with the idea of in circuit testing but did not spend much time on it so its great to see what you have done, especially as I have quite a few non-CPU based cabs

Looking forward to your next update

cheers
morty

Wanted: Konami Track and Field / System 1 Roadrunner kit / Lottery Win.
GadgetFreak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 11:48pm
Don't get me wrong, I have written lots of software over the years which I have given away, most recently some ultra efficient RGB LED matrix, text & sprite classes for embedded micros and of course my Arcade Rom Patcher on this forum.

But the "Slice" software has taken time I should have been working and being freelance means its not always easy to pick up work when I want it.
So thats why I need to make some money back on my time and of course if it gives me some income I can give it the support people expect. Of course being a collector means I have a vested interest in improving it anyway.

I still find it frustrating that it cannot always tell you if a chip is good a %100 of the time, but to be honest I don't think any method ever will. The only way to do this is to remove each chip and test independently but even then you might still miss fan out issues due to lack of drive in the chip. Still I seem to be getting around %95 accuracy which suits me and with the Project mode you can easily compare results. My hope is that people will start sharing projects of working boards once the software is released.

Today I finished off changing the user interface yet again and adding full trigger support for upto 20 pin chips. Triggers (low, high, rising, falling, change) can be set for 1 or more pins and will allow you to capture those awkward events. I used it today to find a fault with a Choplifter board that was failing when the video ram was accessed, I just set a trigger on the enable pin.

Edited by GadgetFreak - 12 Aug 2018 at 11:49pm
GadgetFreak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Macro Macro wrote:

just one idea, that I have been caught out with in the past - can it detect floating pins (i.e. no connection on an input) - I had a board where the pin looked fine, but didn't connect (factory soldered) - the ABI tests it and says the chip is fine (since it is)

News on this one.... I found a fairly hidden sensitivity setting the other day, turns out its the voltage used for the divider on each pin and is kind of a weak pull up/down. So I have just added a Float Chk button to the software which will auto disable pins if they are found to be floating. In theory this would also highlight pins with a very weak drive.
I just need to find a badly designed board or one with a broken track to test it properly
I will do a proper post very soon giving full details of my "Slice" tester and when you will be able to get your hands on one.
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 5:54pm
well done! I think the support for this product is looking good Wink
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 6:19pm
Another good update on this project.
Are you still thinking of taking it to the Cambridge museum even next Saturday?
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted. Centipede uprigh, bezerk, mad planets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic