ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Info > Site Maintenance and Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Calling all Slackers!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling all Slackers!
    Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 5:27pm
Hiya guys,

I want to try out a new UKVAC Slack channel.  If you're interested drop me either a PM with your email address or post in here if your profile email address is the one you want to use and I'll add you to our Slack workspace.

For those who don't know what Slack is, it's an Instant Messaging system, similar to IRC in many ways but the content is persistent.   This means you don't need to be logged onto it all the time to not miss anything, you can scroll back and see the earlier chat.   You can use it like a BBS of old OR for real time chats.   Just trialing it for now to see if there's enough interest.    

Cheers,

Dan
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 6:39pm
I have never heard of this, but happy to help you trial it out. Email as per profile.
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Always looking for Cabaret Cabinets
silversmurfer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversmurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 7:24pm
use slack in my day job so happy to help out - email in profile
AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 7:41pm
Sign me up Danlar.
アンディック జ్ఞా
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 8:31pm
First invites sent!
Carvaletingpro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carvaletingpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 10:19pm
Pmd
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 7:52am
Yeah add me.
NES4Life
-------------
Owner of ... too many cabs!
ZedEx48K View Drop Down

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 8:40am
Seems daft not to go with Discord tbh.
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 9:58am
I had no idea what Slacker was but happy to try anthing. 
Now that I see what it is, tbh, as per zedex above, discord is very good and I use that a lot already.
Happy to stay around though. 

DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:34am
Originally posted by ZedEx48K ZedEx48K wrote:

Seems daft not to go with Discord tbh.

I chose Slack *because* it's a "work" tool, whereas Discord and others clearly target Gamers.   Discord is therefore most likely banned or soon will be from most corporate networks.  With Slack there's a more reasonable chance that people will be able to access it from work at least for the foreseeable future. 

As I said, Slack is just something we're trying out, it offers a front end from all desktop and mobile/tablet platforms so everyone should be able to access it, eod I was after something like IRC, that offered persistent chat and would be accessable from anywhere.  If it doesn't prove useful we can knock it on the head and try something else or just bin the idea.
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:50am
My work network is sooooooo tight I cannot access emails or much of anything, so always use mobile devices anyway. 
Happy to give this a fair try though. Something else to distract me from real life!
Might prove useful for some quick fire conversations.

ZedEx48K View Drop Down

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:52am
That's the beauty of Discord though, it's on multiple platforms Inc mobiles (and handy for notifications) , I know plenty at workplaces that use it that way because of different network restrictions. While slack might be acceptable for some work networks for most it's going to be another app they forget to open after a while.
adrian purser View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrian purser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:18am
Add me please
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 11:51am
First deals made, first tech questions posed and answered, first files shared, and that's just with 9 of us!  

PM me or Hurray Banana if you want to join with an email different to your profile one...
grobda View Drop Down
"Look at the size of that thing!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grobda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 12:48pm
sign me up please :) got all wistful for the old days of mIRC reading this threadLOL
sporadically obsessed with this sh*t
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic