ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Info > Suggestions / Bugs / Problems / Help!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can we have seperate regions for the sale threads?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Can we have seperate regions for the sale threads?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jugemscloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:36am
the op seems a bit xenophobic but i don't think thats the intention more voicing a frustration regarding how some people conduct themselves and misplacing that into specifying location rather than individual(s)

i don't really see the issue here regarding the op, there have been suggestions as to how to make things clearer from a title as to wether you want to open a thread or not but i think the issue there is laziness on the part of the potential buyer i.e. you want to preemptively know wether you will potentially buy something to save you the hassle of clicking a button and reading something.

i don't see this as an issue for a few reasons;

we don't have a particularly high traffic sales section and what there is is predominantly uk based, if the forum was inundated with global sellers or based on the continent i could see the point in something like country abbreviations in the title being beneficial but that would be the extent to which i think any change should be. I'm thinking of neoarcadia as an example where the user base is spread across the continent and as such it is beneficial in how potential sales are conducted there.

reading these sales threads gives you an idea of where pricing is for certain things or what people are willing the pay (barring anomalies, fakes sales, naive buyers etc) making you a more informed buyer the same for the obverse it also lets you see the prices at which things are sitting

what is already in place should inform you; location and currency requested and can to be factored into the price you are willing to pay for an item, this has more facets/factors such as import tax which won't be one until the end of the year with eu purchases but even then its just a case of thinking of things like buying from the us or japan. just now without import tax to me its like do i spend an extra £15-20 on postage for an uncommon/rare game at a reasonable price this is relative to the price of the item but as most pcbs are £100+ these days is a small percentage of the total, i can see this as more of a gripe when its common cheap stuff but i think there the onus is on the potential buyer to either negotiate or just to move along quietly

the forum polices itself well regarding user conduct and the mods/admin step in with an even hand very quickly when things start to spiral, so i don't think change from the current practice is warranted

Edited by jugemscloud - 11 May 2020 at 10:49am
mysticmonk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 12:21pm
There aren't enough things for sale to justify splitting into different groups.

About large volume sellers, I've moaned on how some of the prices take the mickey. But as someone else mentioned, it's better to have the option than no option. Plus, if something isn't selling at a certain price then it also acts as a valuation in a roundabout way. Best to ignore high prices.

As for shipping costs and regions, if I'm selling anything I'll make it explicitly clear that "x" is the postage cost, or else just combine the postage into the price. It makes things much easier when deciding to buy/sell.
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 2:05pm
I don't have any issues with the current set up, I would echo boneheads comment, put in your location in so buyers know where its coming from and can ascertain how much postage might be or if they might be able to collect in person.

Leave sold prices up, once the item has sold, that way folks can search and check out old prices to help with valuations and know if you are being ripped off.  

I just don't bother looking at endless bumped sales threads and pointless "Check out this bargain" ebay threads directing folks to a piece of sh*t they'd never buy in a million years, be it a MAME monster or £10,000 Jamma cabinet, those sort of thread are the biggest waste of time. 
Wanted: ASTEROIDS CABARET or ASTEROIDS DELUXE CABARET, also looking for a Super Pacman Bezel, a Euro Millipede inner Bezel. WANTED: VECTREX
maskeddev View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskeddev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:02am
Originally posted by bonehead bonehead wrote:

As I have said a million times- the location section in the user profile should be filled in. We can then all check.
There is no reason for people not filling it out. That’s my biggest issue on this forum.

WHY CANT the forms be filled out? If not then they can’t post in the for sale section.

EASY!!!!

Nah, that's potentially a personal security issue, can't endorse.
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:06am
Perhaps 2 sale areas.

One for c*nts.

One for everyone else.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:09am
I don't really have a problem with people just selling stuff or what they charge. It's good for a laugh, sometimes. What does annoy me - more than it should, probably - is sales thread titles with loads of superfluous characters, in a silly attempt to grab attention. "---------////////****** YAY! MEGA PCB SALE!!!!!!! ******\\\\\\\\\\---------". Annoying! Confused
cools View Drop Down
User
User
I joined ages ago honest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:13am
Originally posted by bonehead bonehead wrote:

As I have said a million times- the location section in the user profile should be filled in. We can then all check.
There is no reason for people not filling it out. That’s my biggest issue on this forum.

WHY CANT the forms be filled out? If not then they can’t post in the for sale section.

EASY!!!!

Drives me crazy as well, agreeing to a sterling price with a seller you assume is in the UK only to be confronted with PayPal exchange and fee inflated rates.

Over on AO we made it mandatory when a software update allowed it. People started filling it in with "wrong" locations... Since the forum dawn we've always had the rule that all sales require a location though, helps a ton.
jonhughes View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Perhaps 2 sale areas.

One for c*nts.

One for everyone else.

If only things were that simple. The problem is who is going to decide who fits in your first and second club.......that’s the whole issue I have. I know you probably did that statement in jest but that’s the underlying problem.
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:21am
I like the idea of a mandatory location. It really does help both buyers and sellers. It's not asking for a postcode or anything, just a country and county, that's all.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Perhaps 2 sale areas.

One for c*nts.

One for everyone else.

Nailed it   
kevkevkev View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevkevkev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:07am
I just dont like resellers. I have left lots of facdbook forums because this past 2 months has been nothing but brand new switches for sale. People want the profit of ebay without the fees. I singled out europeans because i found those resellers to be the highest prices and those people bring nothing to the hobby.
cools View Drop Down
User
User
I joined ages ago honest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:00am
Just quit Facebook, your life will be improved a hundredfold.
samusaran View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samusaran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:06am
Originally posted by cools cools wrote:

Just quit Facebook, your life will be improved a hundredfold.

This!
Glad I quit it years ago. Dont miss it at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic