ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Can't remember a Spectrum Game

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaserSquadRules79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't remember a Spectrum Game
    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 3:51pm
Hi

It was late 80's, very early 90's, it was a shoot em up in space, you would travel between planets and when you got to a planet there was independence day style space ships trying to shoot towns from above, you would shoot them and go to a screen where you could choose your next planet, inbetween you would battle ufo type space ships one on one then the mother ship (which was red) looked like it was a telephone mast on its side, it would fire a large weapon that would knock most of your shields off. when you transported to planets the screen would rotate. like being in hyperspace, your shields would gradually get weaker so you could dock with a friendly space station to recharge..... good luck
maskeddev View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskeddev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 2:15pm
is it a side-scroller? cockpit view?

The docking to recharge thing sounds familiar

charlesapex View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesapex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:04pm
Only one's I can think of are XCEL or Into Oblivion (I think...) They were on Amstrad CPC 464 but may be similar if they were on the Speccy.
Charlie
mozie View Drop Down
User
User

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 9:26pm
Codename Mat?
LaserSquadRules79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaserSquadRules79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 8:37am
Hi guys

I flipping remembered it

Star Raiders 2!!!

https://youtu.be/Ua1rjNbe6OE

What a game, seems a little repetitive but was quite face paced, remember getting this game free with a magazine even though it cost £9.99 new. Can't find it anywhere to play online. Gutted
Shinydaz View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 9:04am
Simply download the rom and use an emulator, ofcourse if you own the original game.
Out of room but always room for one more !
SIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 9:09am
Looks like one best left in the memory banks.  I have fond memories playing Acorn Electron games in the early 80's that I wish I never returned to.  There is the odd one still playable like chuckie egg and bandits at 3 O'clock but they are mainly a bit of a mess.  I still wont chuck the tapes out but the nostalga factor is definitely best left in the memory banks.
Haves1979 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haves1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 9:20am
I've fond memories of playing my 128k +2, have had my eye out for a cheap one on ebay.

Main ones I can remember playing were Ghostbusters, some F1 manager game and a top down off road racing game, where you had to dodgy cacti etc..

Was quickly replaced by an amiga 500 though..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LaserSquadRules79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 10:26am
The from the top one was called Tranzam I do believe
matthewpont View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewpont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 10:59am
Your Sinclair gave Star Raiders II away as a covertape.

I have great memories of it!
matthewpont View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewpont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 11:02am
Here's the cover tape that I suspect you had as well as me:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaserSquadRules79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 8:06am
Yeah that looks like the free game... After Burner sound track on side B... wuuuuuuu lol. Downloaded a speccy simulator, found the above game and... was slightly disappointed tbh... not responsive enough but not too bad... now to find Quazatron another 5 star speccy game ????
Umpa2020 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umpa2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 8:52am
What spectrum does that game run on ?
After looking at the video, I don't ever remember mine playing games like that - there was no colour clash or any of the spectrum 'features' in that video.  Dubbed music got on my nerves too - lol

I am about to do a ram swap on one I have, just waiting for a colour portable TV to arrive first :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic