Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Cave - shoot 'em ups

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cave - shoot 'em ups
    Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:19pm

Hi All,

I got into Cave shooters late last year after a visit to Arcade Club in Bury. As the price of the original PCB's are now in the £1,000's I decided on a more realistic option and got an JTAG Xbox 360, a 1996 Sony 25" CRT TV (TATE mode) running at 60hz via a scart lead. These pictures of DoDonpachi/Ketsui (taken on my phone) do not do the games justice and are virtually arcade perfect the scan lines are great too. I'm using a Sega joystick and the whole set up cost me about £300 including the TV.

These Cave games were developed by ex Toaplan Co. Ltd staff and it shows. 

Would appreciate your views any pictures of your "Cave" setups !

Cheers

Mark

"The Future Is Now"
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:30pm
'Views'.... I'm afraid don't get them. 
Treasure's stuff is as far as I can go for 'bullet hell'.

But yeah, if there's no gameplay or graphics differences (they're simple enough hardware), then I'd go down the console route too (a thousand quid for a PCB is beyond mad). No good on my telly tho as projection TVs don't work so well on their sides

Edited by John Bennett - 28 Jun 2020 at 4:30pm
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Del Griffith View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:53pm
I only have a couple of pgm conversions but I do like the games. I was put off cave stuff at first because of the madness on screen but it ain’t that bad when you get used to it.

My only gripe with the pgm ones is the audio is a bit low q. Ketsui is ok ish but espgaluda has crackly speech at the beginning “presented by cave” and end “game over” dunno if that is a slight issue with the sheepnova carts or it’s just a slightly iffy cart I have, The hot glue type one I found a video of seamt ok but the sheepnova ones’s have a custom board instead of converting a different game (I think?) so are a bit different.

The other thing that annoys me about the igs conversions is they display upside down with no screen flip.

The way you have gone about it seems like the most cost effective way to play the games (other than mame) so can’t fault that.

Don’t think I could ever warrant the price tag of the original pcb’s!! 2 or 3 of them and you can have a Star Wars cab! I know which I’d choose.

Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:07pm
What you need is a extron super emotia to get the true 15k scanline with no lag look. I have a xbox 360 via a extron super emotia to a bvm and it's lovely.  
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:09pm
I give 'em a blast every now and then on my vert MAME cab. Don't really know what I'm doing though, like what all the things you collect when killing enemies are for. Power up of some sort, but no idea how it works, TBH.

P.S. remind me again what TATE stands for. If it's just 'rotated' shortened, why's it always in capitals?
richmal View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 6:37pm

P.S. remind me again what TATE stands for. If it's just 'rotated' shortened, why's it always in capitals?
[/QUOTE]

It’s just shortened as you say    No idea why it’s alway In capitals though.
2huwman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 6:55pm
I really enjoyed the cave games that they put out on iOS. They were much easier than the arcade versions, especially given the touch controls (just trace your finger round the screen). Looked pretty impressive on the iPhone 3gs bitd!
Not supported anymore on 64 bit iOS, but if you get an old iPad that won't upgrade to 64bit you can still play them.

Other than that I like DDP DOJ on the PGS. Gets impossible by the end but I've steadily improved.
Message me if you need a JAMMA Cab-ready 15Khz MAME PC!

https://www.arcadepcs.com/
mysticmonk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:44pm
Those kind of games begin and end with ikaruga for me
jugemscloud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jugemscloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:08pm
i got my first cave board with my e2 and it sent me down a long road of collecting cave/toaplan/raizing (7 odd years and I'm just about the end), i wasn't particularly enamoured by shmups before playing donpachi and more into action games rainbow islands/contra/metal slug etc

i still prefer donpachi over the sequels, i also prefer the early toaplan games over late ones but the mahou daisakusen and yagawa games by raizing are my favourites 

my set up is and e2 for the newer stuff and a candy18 for the older ones
Smraedis View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smraedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by big10p big10p wrote:

https://translate.google.co.uk/#view=home&op=translate&sl=ja&tl=en&text=%E7%B8%A6

I have almost every Cave port, and DOJ is brutally beautiful.
Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by mysticmonk mysticmonk wrote:

Those kind of games begin and end with ikaruga for me

Prefer radiant silvergun myself but ikaruga isnt a bad sequel. 
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Smraedis Smraedis wrote:

Originally posted by big10p big10p wrote:

I have almost every Cave port, and DOJ is brutally beautiful.
Ah! Cheers.
phillv85 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:41pm
I was lucky to get into buying the boards when most of them were still in the £200-300 range or below. Incidentally Deathsmiles was one of my first arcade PCB’s I imported. I still love that game to this day and can reliably 1CC it. Being into the games in that time period also allowed me to get the Xbox 360 releases (PAL and NTSC-J) as and when they were released, which has also saved me a considerable sum as they have gone out of production and up in price. I’m hoping for more PS4 releases following on from ESP. Ra. De and Ketsui Deathtiny that have already come out. If I could choose the next release it’d be a re-do of Donpachi and DoDonPachi with additional modes for PS4.

I’ve got the following boards:

Deathsmiles
Donpachi
DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou Tamashii (IGS PGM2 re-release from 2010 with an “Easy” mode)
ESP. Ra. De
Espgaluda
Espgaluda 2
Ibara
Ketsui (IGS PGM bootleg)
Mushihimisama Futari 1.5
Progear (CPS2 Conversion)

I’ve also got Puzzle Mushihimi-Tama (puzzle game based on the Mushihimisama world by CAVE) and DoDonPachi 2: Bee Storm by IGS.

Edited by phillv85 - 28 Jun 2020 at 8:42pm
hungar View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:46pm
I've really got in to them over the years, I even quite enjoy watching expert players do runs on youtube, the skill involved is baffling.

I don't own any original hardware unfortunately, I almost picked up dodonpachi daioujou and Death smile years ago but thought they were a bit pricey at the time(wish I'd known how bad/ludicrous it was going to get).

I've got a couple of PGM conversions, play Pro Gear quite a lot on Darksofts CPS2 and some 360 games too. 

strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by phillv85 phillv85 wrote:

I was lucky to get into buying the boards when most of them were still in the £200-300 range or below. Incidentally Deathsmiles was one of my first arcade PCB’s I imported. I still love that game to this day and can reliably 1CC it. Being into the games in that time period also allowed me to get the Xbox 360 releases (PAL and NTSC-J) as and when they were released, which has also saved me a considerable sum as they have gone out of production and up in price. I’m hoping for more PS4 releases following on from ESP. Ra. De and Ketsui Deathtiny that have already come out. If I could choose the next release it’d be a re-do of Donpachi and DoDonPachi with additional modes for PS4.

I’ve got the following boards:

Deathsmiles
Donpachi
DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou Tamashii (IGS PGM2 re-release from 2010 with an “Easy” mode)
ESP. Ra. De
Espgaluda
Espgaluda 2
Ibara
Ketsui (IGS PGM bootleg)
Mushihimisama Futari 1.5
Progear (CPS2 Conversion)

I’ve also got Puzzle Mushihimi-Tama (puzzle game based on the Mushihimisama world by CAVE) and DoDonPachi 2: Bee Storm by IGS.

Bastard

I love cave shmups get played the most just such a fun adrenaline rush, the mechanic is awesome, the explosions are satisfying as hell, the musics superb and the gameplay is so challenging.

I have a jtag 360 in my new astro city using a viletim scart to jamma adapter, looks awesome.

Have only managed to clock dodonpachi, mushi futari, dodon res and dodonpachi saidaioujou on novice mode. The rest are late level 4s on a good day lol.

I find it incredible watching good players play these games, i know i will never ever come close to dodging some of those last boss patterns.

Edited by strykr - 28 Jun 2020 at 9:15pm
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Check out my 80s Synthwave Music :)   https://247retro.bandcamp.com/album/naeon
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 9:25pm
Yeah, must admit I love Deathsmiles.
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 10:27pm
I have an xbox 360 connected via official scart lead on crt. Pic doesn't look great to me?? Is there an option to change settings??

Thanks
Lardonate View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lardonate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 12:55am
I always used to enjoy the old vertical shmups. Terra Cresta and Flying Shark were my favourites when I was first down the arcades around 86ish. Then in the mid 90s a small local arcade had Raiden 2 and I played the sh*t out of that. 

I thought it was all over then. No more shmups. There pretty much wasn't until I paid a visit to my bro's around 2003 and he had a chipped PS2 and had Dodonpachi Daioujou on import. Blew me away that someone out there was making NEW shmups.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert at them at all, but I do really enjoy them. I think Dodonpachi, Dodonpachi Daioujou, Espgaluda, Progear and Mushihimesama are my favourites. Play them on console mostly, do have a Progear CPS2 conversion, and been thinking about grabbing one or two of those PGM converts.

I might do that now infact, thanks for the nudge.
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 1:19am
 i do like progear and deathsmiles, but i am heavily more drawn to the vertical ones, perhaps its the kid galaga player in me. 
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Check out my 80s Synthwave Music :)   https://247retro.bandcamp.com/album/naeon
Retroman839 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retroman839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:09am
I have similar screen issues
With ketsui on ps2 to crt tv

Also I have original pcb espagaluda yeh it is a bit blurry natively

Currently building a set up side by side   With scan line genarator vga mame
On led and I got quite a nice image there funnily enough
But I also have a nice 19” crt monitor just waiting for jpac now to connect
It to mame...   I have Richard chuksins embeded groovy mame 15khz to compare it

But I broke my hand at wrk last week....    no rapid fire button finger at the moment....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic