Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Cave - shoot 'em ups

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr grissom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:29am
Thats a good way to go if you want to play the cave shooters an xbox360 jtag.
The other route buying the actual originals for the 360 is also expensive they have shot up in price.
Great thing with jtag system is you can rip the games out of the ISO and end up with a couple of hundred megs which saves a lot of space on the HD, most of if not all the 360 shooters have lots of screen configurations ie TATE ( which means vertical in Japanese and if you have never heard it YOKO is side btw ) mode stretch and fill etc.

I suggest some of the other shooters on 360 too not just the cave games ( raiden aces and fighters are exceptional on the 360 ) you will need jtag version of these though along with a few others as they are not region free...

And yeah i have most of the 360 shooters ( originals at that all still sealed ) cause you know JTAG Wink
mx5dob View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mx5dob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 4:01pm
I have 2 cave boards: ESP Ra.De and Progear. here's a shot of my garage conversion with both of them running as of Friday night.

Edited by mx5dob - 29 Jun 2020 at 4:03pm
cools View Drop Down
User
User
I joined ages ago honest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 4:53pm
Excellent to see Progear at its proper aspect ratio!
mozie View Drop Down
User
User

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 6:03pm
Like many others here I suspect I have had most of the cave titles over the years when they were more reasonably priced bit got rid of them all because of the fear of having an expensive paperweight one day, now I just have Progear conversion, the igs pgm conversions and the pc versions of death smiles and others which Iam happy with, death smiles and espgaluda are my favorites, very accessible and easier than most of the others

Edited by mozie - 29 Jun 2020 at 6:03pm
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 7:01pm
Apart from the espgaluda final boss. Still havent beaten him lol
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Check out my 80s Synthwave Music :)   https://247retro.bandcamp.com/album/naeon
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by cools cools wrote:

Excellent to see Progear at its proper aspect ratio!

Special widescreen version
mx5dob View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mx5dob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 7:53pm
richmal View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:02pm

Well I never knew that progear is a widescreen ratio
phillv85 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by strykr strykr wrote:

Apart from the espgaluda final boss. Still havent beaten him lol

Same here. I could get to him every time, but my brain can not process his final pattern. Now I’ve failed at it so many times it’s become like a complex for me, I get there and my brain goes for a poo.
cosine View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:28pm
Used to have a bunch of cave PCBs, but sold a few due to being skint/not playing them any more. I still have DoDonpachi Daioujou and Deathsmiles, I don't think I'll ever sell them.

Edited by cosine - 29 Jun 2020 at 9:28pm
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my sanity the most.
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by mx5dob mx5dob wrote:

I'll have to try it   
thegreathopper View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreathopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by richmal richmal wrote:

Well I never knew that progear is a widescreen ratio

Me neither, maybe that’s why I am so bad at it!
Mark H View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:09pm
Hi All,

Some great posts. Couple of last pics and Ketsui is one of my favourite Cave games. It's more mechanical looking than some of the others and is a direct arcade port with no HD uplifts and it even has the "Insert Coin" displayed in the corner of the screen. I love the effort that has gone into these games and the soundtracks are really great too which is why I also like games like Metal Slug and Viewpoint on the Noe-Geo...

Cheers

Mark

"The Future Is Now"
thermal_treasure View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thermal_treasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 10:38pm
DaiOuJou is one of the most aesthetically pleasing shmups, just a shame about the difficulty. Mushihimesama is probably my fave game they ever made. Beautiful to look at and you can toggle the difficulty at least
phillv85 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:44am
I love the extra modes on some of the 360 versions, they really are excellent. In some cases they're far better than the original release (looking at you Deathsmiles II). Deathsmiles IIX is an absolutely superb game, the arcade release is not so good. I also like Mode B (I think it's called that) on DDP DFK, the mode where you build your score up over multiple plays through the level. It has achievements attached to it, such as a combined score of the 5 levels over a certain amount. It kept me occupied for hours that did LOL

Edited by phillv85 - 30 Jun 2020 at 8:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic