ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

CEX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:42am
Bunch of crooks and always have been since they first started!!! Thumbs Down
Milky View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wild West Nerd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Tedward Tedward wrote:

I pray to god this doesn't end in a Gamestation situation where they went and destroyed their stock after stupidly inflating the prices.

I think that is an urban legend that sprung from Digitiser many years ago (destroying stock, not the prices). I did some research recently and people I spoke to say that never happened.
Hmmm...it IS a good game, but it needs more cowboys...
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:08pm
There are a lot of different factors here;

CEX are clearly using a business model they think works, and they will judge that on competitors (over inflated Ebay prices) and what people are actually paying in the shop.

Like any business they will price certain items cheap to get footfall (old DVD's and PS2 games), in the hope that whilst in the shop you see and buy something else.

The likes of the mini NES is ridiculously priced, as they are on Ebay, but people are daft enough to buy them. A quick 'sold items' search on Ebay reveals apparent sales of single new consoles for £200 !!! So whilst people with more money than sense are out there, any business is going to react to that.

What I don't like is that now that they are stocking retro gaming stuff, people will start taking their stuff here instead of other outlets that collectors would go to, car boots, etc, with everyone suddenly thinking their megadrive game must be worth £100 because that what CEX are selling it for, etc.

That said, some of the retro stuff is less than Ebay if that's your market choice and at least you can see/hold the condition for yourself before buying and you don't have the postage factor.

I welcome any avenue for selling/buying stuff where you can see the goods first, but the people affecting the prices are in some way the ones walking through the doors.

At Play Glasgow this weekend, there was a huge comparative price difference between stalls. For that reason the expensive one had all/most of his stock remaining whilst the friendly guy, who openly said he priced his stuff to sell, not hoard, sold absolutely loads.

Needless to say, collecting anything in this field has sky rocketed of late. I'm so glad I kept my entire collection of consoles and games from bitd............Oh no, wait.....I gave them all away to the jumble sale or something equally as rubbish. DOH !!!!

My local CEX has massive increased it's stock of new, snes, master and mega drive, dreamcast, Saturn and PS1 stocks, which makes me wonder just how many of these games they are stock piling.....

I guess only time will tell....

Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Always looking for Cabaret Cabinets
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic