Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Coin op conversions . Worst and best

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coin op conversions . Worst and best
    Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:09pm
I at times ,lived for coin op conversions
Even if it was deemed rubbish In a mag ,I had to get it anyway .
The reason was ,I dreamed of having this game at home
Some of the disappointments ,from the top of my head
Enduro racer ,hang on ,shinobi sega master system
Though wonderboy ,choplifter and my hero where incredible conversions in my eyes on the same system

Memories of the supersprint arcade machine in your bedroom advertisement ,really made me want to buy the tape/disk
Space harrier on a spectrum 48 k box showing arcade graphics and me believing that’s what I was getting at Christmas ,86 or 87 was disappointing,though I still played it to death
Nemesis on the spectrum was awful and I once bought gunfight by ultimate ,hoping it was iron horse ! Lol
Couple of stand out games in my eyes where rainbow islands on 16 bit ,street fighter 2 , ghouls n ghosts
You had pc engine , Amiga ,,SNES and all sorts having a look at this stage
Pacland on pc engine was out of this world ,as was rtype
Anyway at that point I got into raves and forgot lol
Whatever coin ops I had in the form of conversions ,
I think I will always need the real thing ?
Think I’ve lockdown fever and need to talk nonsense

Edited by Body pop - 19 May 2020 at 11:13pm
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:18pm
Good topic...
Different era to your selections.

The good times:
SNES: STREET FIGHTER 2
SNES: NBA JAM
SATURN: Sega Rally
SATURN: VF1/2
SATURN: VIRTUA COP 1/2
PSX: TEKKEN 3
PSX: POINT BLANK 1/2/3

The Bad times:
SATURN: HOTD
SATURN: DAYTONA
SATURN: MANX TT
SNES: MK 1/2
DC: Crazy Taxi : music not the same, and boring on pad
Primarily collecting 90's - 2000 Sega
Model 1 / 2 / 3 / Naomi
Body pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Sbdesign Sbdesign wrote:

Good topic...
Different era to your selections.

The good times:
SNES: STREET FIGHTER 2
SNES: NBA JAM
SATURN: Sega Rally
SATURN: VF1/2
SATURN: VIRTUA COP 1/2
PSX: TEKKEN 3
PSX: POINT BLANK 1/2/3

The Bad times:
SATURN: HOTD
SATURN: DAYTONA
SATURN: MANX TT
SNES: MK 1/2
DC: Crazy Taxi : music not the same, and boring on pad

Was crazy taxi that bad ,out of interest? .i really don’t know
I did get back into games again via the Dreamcast .years after dreamcast was popular

Edited by Body pop - 19 May 2020 at 11:31pm
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:36pm
well the game isn't that good (I own the cab), but arcades are fun to play sometimes no matter what the game.  The music was the ambience in Hollywood bowl (along with air hockey noises and bowling pins), with the sub it had, it dominated.

At home with a pad and not the original sound track I just lost interest the second it booted... so was a let down.   Maybe also because of cheap pirate games - there was many others to play, and had no reason to try and like it on console.
Not so much because it was a bad port.  Naomi/Dreamcast ports were pretty exact. Just bad experience personally.

Edited by Sbdesign - 19 May 2020 at 11:37pm
Primarily collecting 90's - 2000 Sega
Model 1 / 2 / 3 / Naomi
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:37pm
First stab (great question), I'll start with the worst:

I paid a fiver for that sh*t and still regretted it.

Loads of great conversions, especially Megadrive, although X68000 kinda won (if you could spend the price of a car on a computer)

http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Body pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:44pm
I remember selling ,my 5 ft snooker table and a Honda c70 stepthru to buy things like that horrendous thunder blade
I was about 11 lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:03am
I loved Crazy Taxi on DC.

For best, if you discount the fantastic SEGA AGES updates (as they’re decades later than the originals), I’d nominate Soul Calibur on DC and Time Crisis 2 on PS2 as they were considerably better than the arcade versions, despite coming out at the same time (ish).

As said, loads of amazing conversions on 90’s machines - maybe as the arcade vs home gap started to close.
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:35am
Final Fight and Street Fighter II for the Amiga were $hit

TMHT Turtles in Time on the SNES was more fun than the arcade. Graphically not as sharp. I sold my pcb as I'd rather play the SNES version

I agree - Time Crisis II on the PS2 was better than the arcade. Better graphics for starters and extea scenery etc

Final Fight One on the GBA is one of my favourite conversions.
Paul79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:38am
Great question off the top of my head on the c64 midnight resistance was good also shinobi and ninja spirit were good conversions , Also c64 Final fight and double dragon awful games two of my favorites arcade games truly awful conversions ,
From the 90’s 16bit era conversions definitely were closer to the arcade, strider on the mega drive Sf2 on SNES two highlights for me so good to look at and play .
qjuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:54am
Gauntlet on the ZX Spectrum used to do my head in with the constant press play on the tape to load the next 3 or 4 levels or so Angry

2huwman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:37am
Great question - the Mega Drive had some awesome early arcade conversions:
  • Strider
  • Ghouls n Ghosts
  • Air Busters/Aeroblasters
  • Tatsujin

I managed to get an import version of the MD before it was released in the UK and it came with Strider & GnG. Could not believe it. It was like having the arcade games at home! Nothing before had come close in terms of the systems I owned. 

Edited by 2huwman - 20 May 2020 at 8:05am
Message me if you need a JAMMA Cab-ready 15Khz MAME PC!

https://www.arcadepcs.com/
andyman View Drop Down
User
User
always pull away from your face

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 8:11am
Was a Commodore 64 fan so mine will be from that platform Smile

Space Pilot - sold a beautiful ring to buy this on disc and a Quickshot joystick...
Commando
Arkanoid
Karate Champ
Robotron 2084
Donkey Kong
Nemesis
Pole Position
Gauntlet

I had over 4000 games for my C64 so above list is just a few I can remember off the top of my head then I bought a Defender in 1985 and that was the start of the real thing collecting so the C64 was moved on, still regret that now Ouch

Initial tests indicate
       unit OK
aztecca View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aztecca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 8:52am
Robocop an bombjac on the 8 bits was decent.Also remember playing Gaunlet II on the Amiga with a 4 player adapter that was good.Final fight on the mega CD was a great conversion.I did like Double dragon on the megadrive too.Always wished for a home release of wwf superstars or wrestlefest though.
A shout out for kung fu master,frogger and moon patrol on the Atari 2600 I know they were miles off being arcade perfect but I loved them.

Edited by aztecca - 20 May 2020 at 8:54am
K1ngarth3r View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:33am
The worst I can think of off hand is Mad Dog McCree port to the 3DO, having loved it in the arcade I was super excited to see it was going to be an early title on 3DO, but the crappy video compression, poor disc access times that affected when the enemy reacted to being shot and the poor hit detection ruined it. 

One of the best conversions I remember was Pang on the Amiga, I couldn't believe how close it was to the Arcade game (Another great port is Ghosts N Goblins on the Amiga). 
Most wanted PCBs: Ghouls N Ghosts, Splaterhouse, Rainbow Islands & Bubble Bobble
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:46am
Rainbow Islands on the Amiga was absolutely superb. I learnt most of the game from that, then went back and finished it in the arcade after practising at home. Every little detail was spot on.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
phillv85 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:53am
The worst I've ever come across is Golden Axe on the PC Engine. Oof, what a mess.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:07am
Galaxy Force II on Megadrive was especially futile. 
Like setting out to paint a wall armed with a tester pot.
Body pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:17am
Originally posted by qjuk qjuk wrote:

Gauntlet on the ZX Spectrum used to do my head in with the constant press play on the tape to load the next 3 or 4 levels or so Angry

I had forgot about the ,loading of stages in games
And also hitting space bar for the other button with your foot or something
Kids these days don’t realise what we had to endure
The_A_Drain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_A_Drain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:02am
Controversial perhaps, but for me the worst, mostly in terms of wasted potential, is House of the Dead for the fact it was never ported to anything except Saturn and PC. The Saturn version looks decently playable, if a big graphics downgrade but I bought 3 saturns in my time and all 3 had disc read issues (I've absolutely pre-ordered a MODE and finally re-bought a 4th saturn).

Insultingly it was never even included on the Wii collection of HotD 2 and 3. I get that porting games from that era is a pain due to less standardized graphics architecture (it's why most PS1 games included in PS3/PS4 collections were digital keys for PS1 Classics emulated downloads) but c'mon, such a classic and never had a good port. Criminal.

The PC version is ok, some graphical problems but looks much closer to the arcade, unfortunately it's a huge steaming pile on the software side and was difficult to get running without errors even in the early 2000s. It can be made to work but it's a real pain and will still frequently crash.

I really want a cab just to be able to play the game properly. At least Time Crisis got a great PS1 port and TC2 and 3 on PS2.

Best for me would have to be Street Fighter 3: Third Strike - Online Edition. I know some of the 3S community doesn't like it, but it unarguably revitalized the game and was so close to perfect, and had online that worked very well with a decent connection. If you were looking to get into the game around that time your options otherwise were not good. CPS3 board and supergun, or the Dreamcast port which alone was around 100 bucks back then, or the awful Xbox Anniversary port (even worse in Europe we never got the PS2 version) which was where I first learned the game.

Edited by The_A_Drain - 20 May 2020 at 11:09am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:25am
Actually it bothers me deeply that Time Crisis 1 wasn’t properly ported to PS2 so I can play an arcade-perfect version with a CRT lightgun
PS1 Time Crisis hasn’t aged well - it’s a long way from the coin-op, particularly the low resolution.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic