Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Coin op conversions . Worst and best

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outrun1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:08am
imagine loader music c64 was great
then came the game sometimes a let down
but worth the wait with the music
long live the c64 sid chip
Flinnster View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by dj_yt dj_yt wrote:

I interviewed Bill Harbison (Chase HQ Spectrum) here:
link

And Alan Laird (Outrun, Spectrum) here:
link

Hopefully both these interviews give an insight into the dev process at the time.

If you like the little character portraits in boxes that Chase HQ uses on the Spectrum, Bill was recently doing custom ones for a fiver and donating the proceeds to charity / NHS during the Covid-19 pandemic.

WTD: Outrun DLX(yes REALLY!), Rolling Thunder, PacMania
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
flem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 11:56am
It's actually the reverse for me, I bought a Dreamcast with Crazy Taxi, when it was new, but I only played the arcade version at a show last year. I just couldn't get on with the controls!
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by flem flem wrote:

It's actually the reverse for me, I bought a Dreamcast with Crazy Taxi, when it was new, but I only played the arcade version at a show last year. I just couldn't get on with the controls!

That happens all to often when people play with controllers Primarily.  
Many can't use steering wheels on Sega Rally etc if already accustomed to the controller.
Primarily collecting 90's - 2000 Sega
Model 1 / 2 / 3 / Naomi
flem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 5:30pm
True!, I'm a disaster with racing wheels!.

neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 5:39pm
I thought the music in Crazy Taxi for the Dreamcast was the same as the arcade? Releases on PS2, GameCube and Xbox 360 had different music. So no Offspring etc

I found the Dreamcast versions for Crazy Taxi and Virtua Tennis had more replay value than the arcade with the mini games etc. I think I enjoyed them more than the main game.

DC ftw. Playing that at the moment via VGA and CRT monitor.

DC is the console that brought me back to home gaming.

Body pop View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 5:55pm
Yes crazy taxi on the Dreamcast was perfecto
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 6:26pm
One of the worst i remember was streefighter two on the amiga at my mates house
I was well into streetfighter at the time and one round of this crappy conversion was enough for me

Sega rally 2 on the dreamcast its like driving a boat a couple of goes and the steering wheel and game got put in the loft
And have never been gotten out again

Any conversion that does not at least try to have a rendition of the propper music depending on the console or computers ability always puts me off too like daytona and crazy taxi on the ps3

Good ones
Ridge racer ps1
House of the dead 2 on dreamcast
Point blank one and two on ps1
time crisis 2 and 3 on ps2
Ninja assault on ps2
R type and my hero on the master system
Street fighter 2 on the snes
Mk2 on the snes
Area 51 ps1

Edited by robotech - 21 May 2020 at 10:10pm
Daytonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lets go away
thesharkfactor View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesharkfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 11:35pm
SR2 on the Dreamcast was great, I played that a lot. I never had a VMU (memory card) so had to play it through from the begining each time (career), I never finished it yet, it would take too long and i'd get tired.. great game, I used a joypad of course.
Smraedis View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smraedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:20am
I'm one of those who is better with a wheel, but usually play with controllers at home...

Regarding Crazy Taxi, it's a pain in the arcade upright version as you have to make the pedals go to 100% and 0% to do the tricks, and if they aren't calibrated, it makes it barely impossible to get far in it. That and you look a bit stupid hammering the pedals like the kids love to do...
Retroman839 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retroman839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:42am
Yes I paid through the nose for a badly calibrated
Jap steerting wheel Dreamcast
Wasn’t giving full excelaration on the paddles
So therefore I didn’t really do very well any race games
I bought sega gt
And rally 2
Crazy taxi
Was so pissed off I traded it all in
RygarR View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RygarR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:14am
Originally posted by UnclearHermit UnclearHermit wrote:

Coin-op conversions, for me, ruined early home computing/gaming.  I know, dangerous opinion!  I was a Spectrum owner and we'd seen a run of fantastic games that were designed with the limitations of the platform in mind.  Then in its later years the coin-op conversions hit, attempting to bring a whole bunch of games that just didn't work well on that hardware, so they were generally rubbish.  So much focus shifted at that time to conversions that there were far less original titles as a result, or so it felt at the time.  I loved the games in the arcades, and I loved the original games that could be played on home computers, but coin-op conversions added nothing to that period for me.

Later conversions on later hardware, yes, lots of good conversions.  But, of course, it's the fact that such conversions were possible that ultimately led to the downfall of the arcade.

^ what he said.

I loved the 8 bit computers. I also loved the arcades. But with a few exceptions, and certainly from the mid-80s onwards, arcade conversions never really hit the spot. In fact, they just highlighted how limited your machine was! Having said that, when the alternative was playing 'kerbie' in the orange glow of the old sodium street lights, we were usually happy to make do!
thermal_treasure View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thermal_treasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 12:42pm
Agree with the sentiment that things really picked up when 16-bit hit home consoles, it must have been amazing playing those early Mega Drive offerings on a CRT at home. Saying that, R-Type Pc Engine must have been equally mind blowing.  

So many good ports to choose but I'd go with Slap Fight MD, Toaplan really went all out with that cart. Worst would probably be Sunset Riders on the Mega Drive. Pretty sh*tty compared to the SNES version.

Edit: Shout out to R-Type on the Master System, definitely an underrated port, it looks and plays really well.    

Edited by thermal_treasure - 23 May 2020 at 12:58pm
beckscc2010 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckscc2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

Wonderboy and Outrun on the ZX Spectrum are two of my biggest childhood dissapointments. Utter sh*te.

Totally agree for outrun, on Amstrad Cpc, totally unplayable, a really big disappoitment.. this is the main reason why i always wanted to have the arcade machine at home!
Chase HQ on the same platform was the best conversion from my point of view.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic