Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Connecting RGB 15khz to SCART

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orphanzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting RGB 15khz to SCART
    Posted: 09 May 2019 at 6:35am
Hey

I heard from another user that rgb can be hooked up to a scart cable with a few resistors if someone could please send me a link to a wiring diagram or some info on it all i could find was about 15khz pc gpus from ultimarc and some ebay converter.

stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:39am
WANTED:

STARPOINT "BOMB" BUTTONS
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:40am
hope that helps
WANTED:

STARPOINT "BOMB" BUTTONS
badgerme View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badgerme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:40am
I’ve just built this last weekend and it worked well. It doesn’t have the power required to auto switch the TV in to RGB/AV mode but it worked fine for me on my Sony PVM.

https://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart/circuit

Just wire the RGB and RGB returns/grounds directly to the SCART pins, then put H/V sync in to this circuit and the composite sync out to pin 20. I made it small enough to fit in the scart plug itself.

Surprised that I couldnt find a VGA to scart cable to buy online that has this sync combiner built in, but then I guess it’s a niche/limited market.
Looking for a burn free 29" Toshiba MS9 Tube and/or chassis
Orphanzombie View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orphanzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:13am
Thank you for the info its a major help hopefully i dont mess it up ahah .

the sega mega drive i remember had cables that connected to scart and was that achieved the same way with the resistors and stuff or was that all done internally that made the tv accept the signal.

Also is there a good way of telling whether a tv can take the 15khz signal or is it that all do because its scart??
John Bennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:45pm
There resistors are there because arcade monitors have slightly different impedances to TVs. It will display without them, often, but I wouldn't recommend it (they protect too). Pins 16 and 8 tell the TV that it's an RGB signal (not composite) on the AV channel and to go to 4:3.

I think all TVs will do 15kHz, one way or another, as every games console and TV-based computer has used it since the 80's. (well up to the PS4/switch XboneX etc)

As the game in question is time Crisis 3, take a look at the wiring diagram in the back of the manual:

I'm not sure what the 'svhs' converter board does - maybe it's got similar resistors on it. Worth a photo.

But otherwise, I think the 15-pin connector would be where you'd connect your DIY scart lead (with resistors) to (so you'll need to buy a male 15-way high density d-type plug). Test it on any scart TV before going out and buying a large RPTV and lugging it across the country

Edited by John Bennett - 09 May 2019 at 12:47pm
devtty0 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devtty0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 7:55pm
Are you planning on using a jamma game on a scart TV? .. or the other way around?

I have one of these spare which I could do for £20 delivered if you didnt fancy making one yourself:

It was no good for me, as I wanted to play PS2 on an arcade monitor, and it doesnt have the sync separator circuit. Should be ok the other way though (arcade -> scart) 
wanted :
sega model 3 racing games
namco system 22 racing games
model 3 to naomi psu adapter
Orphanzombie View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orphanzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:33am
I have a Time Crisis 3 DX cab that needs 2 new monitors since the ones in there keep crapping out and was going to gut it and put 2 50 inch rp tvs in a use the scart on the tvs and connect it to the vga on the boards.

I have noticed though in a spare TC3 cab some kind of converter since this cab had Mitsubishi tvs put in at one point or were just different compared to the Toshiba and the board took the VGA and turned it into S video which was plugged into the TV.

It had the serial number sticker so i assume it was there from factory.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic