ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > Modern Gaming
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

CRT monitors FTW!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CRT monitors FTW!
    Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 10:08pm
Just came across this article. I wonder if CRTs are due for a resurgence, like the vinyl record. Tongue
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 11:32pm
Lead...radiation...inefficiency.... Sadly I suspect we won't see production lines firing up again, and I love CRTs (although a lot of it is a 4:3 thing).

Rich Leadbetter has also aged a bit since C&VG ! (as have we all )
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
robotech View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 11:48pm
I had a similar news article pop up on my phones recommended news bit the other day (might be the same one I cant look at work its blocked)

with the heading
about how they had played modern games on an old crt and they were shocked how good they were.

I never bothered opening it on my phone
I play modern consoles every weekend on old crt,s I already know they are the best ;)

Daytonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lets go away

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 12:15am
I am a bit surprised they’d opt for CRTs when we’re into the era of enormous, ultrawide, variable-sync, low-latency flat panels for low prices.
CRTs for old stuff, I get, of course.
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 1:44am

Just clicked the link on my phone it is the same artical

anyones guess as to why they are trying modern consoles on crt,s
as a news article
maybe they are the next cool retro collectable item like vinyl
as big 10p says

crt tvs have shot up in price now on ebay though especially b&o and Trinitrons

modern consoles for me is a ps3 through rgb scart looks beautiful on an old crt

Edited by robotech - 19 Sep 2019 at 3:43am
Daytonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lets go away
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 2:55pm
Makes me wonder where CRT tech would be at today, if LCDs hadn't taken over. The last batch was giving us pure-flat screens and slimmer tubes. Be great if they started making them again (especially ones that could do 15khz), but that is just wishful thinking.
Flinnster View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 5:01pm
I still play PS3 sometimes on a 28" 15khz widescreen CRT.
Of course it's downrezzed, unlike the CRT PC monitors they were using.
But it's still fine, other than some of the onscreen text on later games being too small to read.

WTD: Outrun DLX cab, Rolling Thunder pcb
Parts WTD: Dino King Door, Coin Box, Coin Chute
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 12:06pm
Another article about this with this vid, just popped up on my phone.

If this catches on with hardcore gamers, I can see the price of ye olde CRT monitors shooting up.

Edited by big10p - 20 Sep 2019 at 12:06pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 12:12pm
Yes, it's 1000x more likely to raise the price of CRTs than it is to provoke someone into resurrecting a CRT manufacturing plant. Makes you wonder if there would be a business in doing that, but I'd imagine you'd need to do more than remortgage a house to fund it

Paying a wodge for an old CRT with no service/repair options is madness though.
Lardonate View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lardonate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 12:44pm
There’s been a general noticable uptick in retro PC gaming this last year or two for sure. We’ve suddenly hit the wave of nostalgia for windows 98/XP gaming and PC crts and vintage parts like 3Dfx cards are starting to go for more and more. A lot of it is driven by YouTube as well, and yeah, I’m guilty of going out and hoovering up as much stuff as I can too. No big widescreen trinitron vga monitors for me yet though sadly. I’ve managed to hard a good half a dozen though and hope to get enough early 2000s era pcs together to do a retro LAN. Would just need to coax enough elderly gamers out of retirement to come play..
mr_ppp View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_ppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Lardonate Lardonate wrote:

There’s been a general noticable uptick in retro PC gaming this last year or two for sure. We’ve suddenly hit the wave of nostalgia for windows 98/XP gaming and PC crts and vintage parts like 3Dfx cards are starting to go for more and more. A lot of it is driven by YouTube as well, and yeah, I’m guilty of going out and hoovering up as much stuff as I can too. No big widescreen trinitron vga monitors for me yet though sadly. I’ve managed to hard a good half a dozen though and hope to get enough early 2000s era pcs together to do a retro LAN. Would just need to coax enough elderly gamers out of retirement to come play..

Know exactly what you mean - I collected old 486,pentium etc hardware long before it was 'cool'

Have had to clear a lot of what I had but I sold an SLI setup of Voodoo2 cards the other day for 145 pounds! I think I paid around 15 about 4 years ago for them
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by mr_ppp mr_ppp wrote:

Know exactly what you mean - I collected old 486,pentium etc hardware long before it was 'cool'

Have had to clear a lot of what I had but I sold an SLI setup of Voodoo2 cards the other day for 145 pounds! I think I paid around 15 about 4 years ago for them
Crikey, maybe I'll dig out some of my old hardware. What's a GeForce 256 worth? LOL
mr_ppp View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_ppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by big10p big10p wrote:

Originally posted by mr_ppp mr_ppp wrote:

Crikey, maybe I'll dig out some of my old hardware. What's a GeForce 256 worth? LOL

If its a DDR version then pretty rare nowadays. Not sure of actual value though. https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=52982&start=220

I'm going through all my stuff searching for treasure :) Got at least 4 more voodoo2's and several voodoo 1's that i may part with although they are part of various 486 and pentium builds I have going.

Also the console/computer prices are going crazy. My boxed A1200 which cost me around 25-30 quid at least 8 years ago is pushing easily past 200 to 300 now

It always creates the dilemna of do I sell so I actually have some money in the knowledge that I wont be able to afford to buy this stuff back ever again!

Edited by mr_ppp - 26 Sep 2019 at 5:02pm
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 5:49pm
Rare? Really? Surprising as I would think they sold by the bucket load when they came out. No idea if the one I have is DDR, TBH. Think it's an ASUS one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic