ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Customs charges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 8:56am
Its good to bring up subjects like this now as many of us forget and i always get mixed up with how much before vat paid and the import duty

Still dont see why you have to pay any on old items like this myself, if it was nos then not so bad

I just dont buy much from usa any more because costs etc but on a non arcade related item the girlfriend has just bought me, the item was on first at $400 i think but i said dont pay that, after it not sold for ages she contacted seller and done deal on it for alot less but she was worried it would get stopped and pay import and tax so asked seller to mark it down, so he put its being returned to owner which is good of him and just good job it didnt get lost, else he would be screwed

Gotta wait for a while to get it though as its gonna be a present but pretty cool one
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
phillv85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:21am
It's done to keep this country in business, otherwise it'd be a completely unlevel playing field for British companies. It's particularly bad for us European arcade fans because the two biggest markets by far were the US and Japan, so we tend to look overseas for items. I don't think customs had people wanting 30 year old video games in mind when they imposed these charges!
system11 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote system11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

Still dont see why you have to pay any on old items like this myself, if it was nos then not so bad

This is one of my main complaints, the other is that EU countries generally have very low personal allowances, people in the US get $800.
Muppz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muppz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:04pm
I got nailed for VAT on $75 postage the company didn't even pay but they put it on the customs form, I paid $300 for artwork and shipping and they put $375 on the form.

On the opposite end I got a bill from ParcelFarce for 2.5 times the value of an item as admin costs and taxes.

I didn't know you could appeal this crap.

I'm now getting small stuff sent to my bother in law in Canada and he brings it me over in his luggage when he comes over as he has to bring parts and tools for his job.

Hand Soldering 160-Pin QFPs since 1994.
system11 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote system11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:38pm
The charging VAT on postage is a total insult too.
jimmerd View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 4:13pm
Does the overseas postage already already include a percentage that UK courier or government get to perform the processing or are the UK couriers just adding on a fee for profit?

I am lead to believe  the courier does have to do 'paper work' and perform random inspections and hence most cases it's cheaper not to do this yourself unless you want a day out at the airport.

It would sure be nice if there was threshold so that low value items did not get a handling fee, the only workaround is to by several things at once.

ColinD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 49 minutes ago at 8:11pm
This has been fun to write.....I'm quite happy to waste their time !!

DHL asked me to contact HMRC to claify so I did !!!! 

I've not enclosed the full email thread but it does contain details of the £15 limit and I asked why they charged me on an item valued at £13 !! - Its a bit of a saga and its clear they are trying to fob me off !!

###############

Hi Gracy,

You failed to enclose the backup document regarding the invoice, but I’m well aware that I’ve been charged at the full invoice amount of $35.95.  (Shown as £28.06 on your invoice that was supplied with my package). And that this has been sent earlier to me in this email thread. I re-enclose it for your reference along with a copy of the commercial invoice from the supplier that formed the basis for your charges.

I have spoken to HMRC as per your request.  I have a full transcript of the conversation.

The HMRC agent asked me to contact you to clarify where the customs charges have came from ?  (such as your agents in China or HMRC agents in the UK).  I would presume at this time that as you billed me before the package reached the UK, then you have imposed these charges yourself ?

It states on your website…. “These charges are levied by HM Revenue & Customs and have been paid for by DHL Express on your behalf in order that we can deliver your goods.”

This is clearly not the case and that HMRC did not levy the charges themselves.

The HMRC Agent also confirmed with me that……

“Items under £15 or less are not subject to customs duty or import VAT”

and also pointed me at their web site….  Which states….

commercial consignments, that is, goods you have purchased, of £15 or less are free from Customs Duty and import VAT.”

and the DHL website makes this quite clear….  Which states….

Are there any reliefs from Duty and VAT?
Yes, they include:

§  Goods of £15 or less in value (excluding postage, packing and other miscellaneous costs). This does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters.

As you state below….

As per the commercial invoice the value of the shipment including the freight charge is  USD 35.95 that is GBP27.17  and the Duty and/or VAT has been charged on your shipment.”

Now… the invoice that was attached to the package clearly shows the goods value at $15.95 and the total value including freight charges at $35.95.  It also shows that the freight charge is $19

I am not disputing this and it concurs with what you have stated above.  However the item value is well below £15.

So… Let’s do some quick sums to double check the shipping invoice is correct (which is also attached for your reference once again)

$35.95 (total charge including freight charges)  I’m not disputing this as it is correct.

-        $19 (freight charge)  this is clearly shown on the commercial invoice.

=        $16.95  which equates to the value of the goods stated on the invoice at $16.95.

This converts to £13.03p and is clearly under the £15 limit, So therefore under the rules of HMRC it should not be subject to customs duty or import VAT, which HMRC have clarified, so you should NOT have billed me for this or your handling charges.

I am seeking a full refund of your invoice at £16 which includes your handling charges (£10.39) and vat imposed (£5.61) as this has clearly been calculated in error by your agents.

If you have already paid any duties on my behalf, I would refer you to HMRC Form BOR268 which would allow you to reclaim the £5.61 paid in error to HMRC.

If this matter is not dealt with in a timely manner,  I would wish to escalate this to the complaints department.  I fully appreciate that there are many shipments to examine which have to be valued for customs purposes and that due to the sheer volume, errors may occur from time to time, but when these mistakes happen there should be a clear process to rectify this.

I look forward to your response to this matter and how we can progress this.  It’s quite clear that I have been billed in error by your agents who may not be aware of the £15 goods value duty free limit so there are some important learning points to be considered here in how your exporting agents deal with commercial invoices which clearly show goods values and freight charges.

Kind Regards, 

Colin Davies

Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 10:32 AM
To: Colin

Subject: RE:Re: RE:RE: Import Duty on Item xxxxxxx Case ID : xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Colin,

Please find attached the backup document for your reference.  (THIS WAS NOT ENCLOSED - COL)

As per the commercial invoice the value of the shipment including the freight charge is  USD 35.95 that is GBP27.17 and the Duty and/or VAT has been charged on your shipment.

We request you to contact HMRC at  0300 200 3700 for further assistance.

Kindly write to us for clarification, if any.

Thank you.

Regards,

Gracy Sheela D
DHL International (UK) Ltd
Southern Hub
Unit 1, Horton Road
Colnbrook, Berkshire
SL3 0BB

Tel: 0844 209 0102
Registration No: 01184988
VAT No: GB751812341
E-mail: dvsupport@dhl.com
www.dhl.com

Sent : Thursday, May 18, 2017
To :dvsupport@dhl.com
CC :
Subject : Re: RE:RE: Import Duty on Item xxxxxx Case ID : xxxxxxxxxx

Hi,  

I'm well aware of the £15 limit, so why have I've been charged for an item of £13 Value ?  ( $16.95 )

It's clearly a mistake, so please can you arrange for a refund.

Thanks, Colin

Edited by ColinD - 15 hours 26 minutes ago at 8:34pm
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 31 minutes ago at 8:29pm
Makes you wonder just how many times they have done this to people when they have no right to charge them and they have just been paid because people can't be bothered or haven't worked out the price in £'s

You should also be able to invoice them for all the time you have had to spend to get their mistakes sorted out, like couple of hours say £20

Sort of thing that should be brought to Watchdog/Fake Britain teams to investigate and see just how many have been invoiced for no reasonSmile
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
ColinD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 8 minutes ago at 8:52pm
The thing which make me LOL is that further down the email, they have explained it all to me !! - and I also explained it to them!! - They really are numbnuts !!  Have they got any GCSE's ? - Can they read ? - or are they there to fob us off ?? 

Hi,  

I'm well aware of the £15 limit, so why have I've been charged for an item of £13 Value ?  ( $16.95 )

It's clearly a mistake, so please can you arrange for a refund.

Thanks, Colin

----Original message----
Date : 18/05/2017 - 05:35 (GMTDT)
To : colin
Subject : RE:RE: Import Duty on Item xxxxx Case ID : xxxxxx

Hi Colin,

We understand your concern that you have made the payment including  the shipping charges,however these are import taxes on your shipment.

Whenever a product is imported to UK and the value of the product exceeds £15.00, it is liable for import Duty and VAT payment for customs clearance.

The VAT calculation is done by the HMRC for the package which is imported to UK.

The VAT is calculated as flat 20% of the shipment value, provided the value of the goods is more than £15.

The duty rate is calculated based on the type of product that is imported if the value of the goods is more than £135.

If the goods are related to Alcohol or Tobacco etc., the excise duty is applied.

For private individual customers and the business customers the Advance Payment  is £11 or 2.5% of the VAT, whichever is greater.

Please be informed that the VAT adjustment refers to the charges for transporting the shipment from the UK border to your place.

Please get back to us if you need any assistance.

Thank you.

Regards,

Gracy Sheela D
DHL International (UK) Ltd
Southern Hub
Unit 1, Horton Road
Colnbrook, Berkshire
SL3 0BB

Tel: 0844 209 0102
Registration No: 01184988
VAT No: GB751812341
E-mail: dvsupport@dhl.com
www.dhl.com

Sent : Monday, May 15, 2017
To :dvsupport@dhl.com
CC :
Subject : RE: Import Duty on Item xxxxxxx Case ID : xxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Please can you explain to me why I have been charged vat and handling  when the invoice clearly shows the item value as $16.96 and the shipping as $19.

The item value works out at just over £13 and is well within the £15 limit (excluding freight/shipping) which is clearly stated on your web support site and should not be liable for any fees whatsoever.

Yes, I understand the invoice shows a total value of $35.95 but it  clearly shows that $19 of this is the freight charge.

The invoice has been opened up / inspected and then folded back and sealed (but put in the wrong way so not showing any total values) so it’s quite clear to me that it’s been wrongly interpreted when it was being shipped from China.   I was sent the invoice before it reached the UK or indeed UK customs so  it would seem to be a mistake on DHL’s part in china.

I enclose photos of the package and invoice, clearly showing the goods value.

I’m now £16 out of pocket having had to pay your fees to release the package, when I should not have been charged any fees in this instance, so I am seeking a full refund, due to this.

Kind Regards, Colin

Edited by ColinD - 14 hours 58 minutes ago at 9:02pm
iamjimmi View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2 hours 40 minutes ago at 9:20am
So what was the final outcome? Did you get a refund?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic