Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Data I/O 29A Setup Help Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Data I/O 29A Setup Help Needed
    Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:55am
I just purchased a Data I/O 29A.

I've done a clean install of XP and have the patched for XP version of Promlink 6.1 loading up on screen, though I have no idea how to set it up correctly (load Unipak?) and read a ROM, I have the null modeM cable connected and the Baud Rate set to 9600.
I've read some of the posts on KLOV regarding the Data I/O 29 A/B and was hoping someone could lay it out for or point me in the direction to some tutorials.

I have a set of Spy Hunter Music ROMs I want to use for working out how to set it up, read and identify/verify with Romident.
I have most types of ROMs from the 80's so if something else is easier for the first time noob to go through the process then that's certainly an option.
Hopefully its as easy as set this to that and so on.

There are three Fairchild MBM2764-25 and one Mitsubishi M5L2764K.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 16 Apr 2017 at 10:56am
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 11:01am
Yes I can help you.  I have setup a 29A with remote access.

All my info is here:

http://www.arcadecollectors.co.uk/mystuff/myprojects/data-io-29a-repair/

http://www.arcadecollectors.co.uk/techinfo/data-io-29a-remote-mode/

Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 1:42pm
Thanks, this is where I'm up to...

Unsure of commands to read etc.
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Kaizen088 Kaizen088 wrote:

Unsure of commands to read etc.

You're thinking about this in the wrong way.  It's not like conventional programmers where there is a read button etc

Under the data menu you have these options:

1) Load Ram from File - i.e. Copy contents from a file to ram

2) Create File from Ram - i.e. Create a file from the contents of the ram

3) Load Ram from Host - Copy the data from the IC in the programmer to the ram

4) I/O format - Set this to Binary - 10

So if I was reading a chip from the programmer, I would set 4) to binary, do 3) to read the chip to ram, and then do 2) to create a file from the ram data

If I was programming from a file I would to 1) and load the file into ram, and then use the options under "Program" on the menu to program and verify that ram data to a blank chip on the host

Does that make sense?
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 2:10pm
I followed that and get 'unable to establish connection, is this a UniPak 29B?' when doing 3) yet the PC is controlling the UniPak2 when I select device the LED below the chip lights up.
Do I have the correct device loaded.
I have the 29A with UniPak2.
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 2:15pm
If you are getting no connection with the programmer than nothing is going to work.  Have you put the programmer into remote mode?

UniPak 29B and Unipak settings should be ok.  You'd still get a connection even if they were wrong, I'm sure of it

Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 2:29pm
Yes programmer is in remote mode
SEL->F1->START->START
'REMOTE MODE" on display.
I'll go back and re confirm the cable pinout but it does seem to be working enough to turn the LED on below the selected chip.

Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 2:58pm
An easier test is to run the 341-1991 software and it establishes a connection before it can do anything

If it sits at the establishing connection screen then you know it's not working

If it says something about sizing the ram then you have everything setup correctly
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 3:04pm
The error was actually 'unrecognised command'
My bad...

I'll try the Win98 PC again with the 341-1991 software.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 16 Apr 2017 at 3:05pm
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 5:52am
I've decided to start from scratch with this thing.

I knew I had an old PC sitting in the back of a shed full of arcade CRT's, CRT TV's and PC's.
This thing is old...

It has two COM ports so there should be no error about COM2 missing.

It even has an ISA slot...

It's a PIII 866MHz, I tested it with only one 128Meg RAM but there are another two sticks to go back in. I'm sure I have a few spare sticks of PC133 floating around as well.

I'm just about to load Win98 SE onto it and try to get it to communicate with Promlink 340-1991. If no luck I'll try with XP.

Here's some shots of the iternals of the programmer including ROM version.

Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 11:39am
I managed to get Win98 installed in the PC.

I had to go through two CD Roms, three Floppy drive and two hard drives (all faulty) before I could even get it to fire up properly.
That done and Win98 installed I installed Promlink 341-1991 to the root of C;\ drive.

I removed the cable and rechecked to pinout twice then checked the COM1 port settings were as recommended.

Double checked the Baud rate setting on the programmer.

Checked the DIP settings on the programmer, in the pic below to top two bits are off (to the left), the third bit is on and the fourth bit is off.
I read in a post on KLOV that the fourth bit controls the remote option... everything else suggest s it should be off.

Fired up Promlink and still get a communication error.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 17 Apr 2017 at 11:45am
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 12:34pm
It seems like you are getting the same error in 6.1, so you have an issue with communication between the PC and the programmer.  Did you make the cable correctly?

You can use the programmer without a PC.  The manual tells you what you need to do

Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 12:38pm
Yeah I've checked the cable and pinout multiple times. and was just reading the manual for the 29A to confirm.
I was just about to dig out a pair of identical roms and see if I can verify one from the other just using the programmer to confirm it works.
The issue would be when I want to dump an unknown ROM to verify it.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 17 Apr 2017 at 12:40pm
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 2:15pm
I had a try with loading the Win98 Setup Floppy to Get a DOS prompt up.
Ran PL3.4 directly from A: drive.
The program started up but still no communication.

I went back to the XP PC and tried again with PL6.10.

When I select device it turns the red light on under the suitable ZIF socket.
This indicates that the programmer is receiving commands from the PC and the cable is working from the PC to Programmer. I'm kind of thinking that the problem is that the programmer can't send data back to the PC (or as stated the 29A may not work with 6.10).
There is definitely communication though.
The LED below the lower left ZIF seems pulse whenever a command is sent to the programmer, this happens twice in the video below (watch it in HD720).

I'd like to try with version 2.6 if anyone has a copy.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 17 Apr 2017 at 3:27pm
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 3:51pm

I've spent the last 30 hours with the exception of 4 hours sleep trolling through posts from wayyy... back including all those on KLOV, AA, UKVAC etc. andI finally cracked this chestnut.

I was reading back through my thread and the screenshot of the advanced port settings got me thinking.

There's an option to 'Use FIFO Buffer (requires 16550 compatible UART).

I unchecked this and ran PROMLink3.4 (in a DOS Box) from the root of a USB drive.

I was happy to see this on screen.

It read an EEPROM no problems and saved it to file.

Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 4:22pm
Good work.  I'll update my page with that setting.

I suspect if you try 6.1 now it will work :-)
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 10:27pm
Yeah I think so.
I was just relieved to know that it works via remote.
I'll have a try later tonight.
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:10am
Thanks to a tip from a KLOV member i Finally got this sorted where I can run it first go on all PC's that I tried.

This is what I added to the Serial Port settings in DosBox0.74:

serial1=directserial realport:com1 parity:n bytesize:8 stopbits:1 irq:4 

Here's the link to the page that spelled it out for me.

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=11431

I just removed the startbps as I'd never heard that mentioned.

I'm now running it on a HP Thin Client.
I has a small footprint and can do all the tasks required.

I've read some ROM sets and verified them.

What should I do with the dumps that aren't in MAME?
The stickers read AT1-9 and FN01-06 (they were 2716's) with the CRC at the bottom of each sticker.
The CRC matches whats written on the stickers for 2 sets already.
These are Master ROM sets that came from an operator back in the 80's.
I've only gone through 2 sets but I have a box full of them.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 21 Apr 2017 at 7:12am
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:20am
yea my info above said if you don't modify the dosbox.conf file for DosBox you will not get it working

I used the settings:

serial1=directserial realport:com1 irq:4 bytesize:8 stopbit:1 parity:E

glad you got it sorted
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic