ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Daytona Usa 2 BOTE/PE Twin Cabinet ISSUES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daytona Usa 2 BOTE/PE Twin Cabinet ISSUES
    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:19am
Hi to all!

I have some problem with the twin cabinet.

The first problem started when i try to change feedback motor from 80% to 50% in the menĂ¹ of the first seat. Now the motor gear at race start to the left.

I checked in the test menĂ¹ and in the INPUT, the pot is ok, when I steer, the value change ok. But in the DRIVE BOARD TEST, i can see ONLY 00 and FF (and so, the center option is wrong, or left or right). In the USA 2 there are not 2 pot, but only one, right? If I swap the entire steer unit with the second unit, the problem still remain in the first cab. I notice that the DRIVE BOARD read the same POT on the wheel (I can see the connection of 2 wire in parallel that came from the same POT).

I get no error. Any help is appreciated!

Another problem, when I move the entire cab for open the rear and control the DRIVE BOARD for the first problem, the graphic board in one CAB start with glitches (polygon in 3d). I switch off, open the seat, move some board, switch ON and then no polygon glitches but white flash in the race. I thing that are some false contact, because in the test RAM, in the video test i get BAD RAM in a strange repetitive order, like so:

BAD IC 26
GOOD IC 27
BAD IC 28
GOOD IC 29
BAD IC 30
GOOD IC 31
BAD IC 32
GOOD IC 33
BAD IC 34
GOOD IC 35
BAD IC 36
GOOD IC 37
BAD IC 38
GOOD IC 39
BAD IC 40

I try first do reinsert all board and make some test.

Ty, SaDDyS

Edited by saddys - 11 Jun 2018 at 11:22am
bones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 1:08pm
I've had a lot of problems with glitching on these and most of the time it has come down to poor connections causing interference. As for the steering the value may change but the centre position I believe should be 80H in the input test
Vamino View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 1:38pm
Since you have a working machine, you can swap parts over to pinpoint where the issue is.
Are your voltages correct and the connectors making good contact?
I've had issue with damaged crimp pins inside the connectors causing issues with FFB.

Some things to try.

Steering issue:
Did you try swapping the Drive Boards form the non-working machine to the working machine and vice versa? Also, try swapping the GAL chip from one drive board to the other.

Graphics issue:
Did you try using the PSU from the working side into the non-working side?
Did you try swapping the individual PCB's in the game stack? This will usually tell you where the faulty PCB is located.

Good luck.
Insert Coin[s]
saddys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:29pm
I can swap but there are some risk to damage the good cab? I dont have schematics, i dont know the right voltage. For example... I can swap the rom board without problem? Ty
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 2:58pm
Yes of course there's always a risk to damage something when testing.
But, without testing you are guessing what the problem is.

If you can only swap a Rom board then unfortunately it'll be difficult to get the answers you are looking for.
Insert Coin[s]
saddys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 3:38pm
Started with swap drive board. The problem ( :( ) follow the board, so the wire are ok.
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 6:34pm
To confirm, you have swapped the PCB with the 2 digit LED display?
If so, it sounds like your drive board is faulty then.
But, you could be lucky and it may be a failed GAL chip. I've had the GAL chip fail before but I can't remember the symptoms when it failed.

The GAL chip is located between the FFB eprom and the 2 switchpacks.
If you feel comfortable swapping it between boards then I'd try that next.
Insert Coin[s]
saddys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:20am
Yes, i swapped them and the problem is in the drive board. I found in another forum:

- if everything seems OK (8.1 8.1 and the 8.8.) but the card does not read the position of the steering wheel, there is a problem of communication with game board, and there is a problem with 74HC139 and the two 74HC238
- if powered the board ON and in the two display read ER22 is a problem on the 74HC373 and in the two 74HC244;
- if exit ER02 it is a problem on 256LL RAM.
- if senseless lines come out on the display it is a problem on the 74HC245 and the three 74HC238.
- if nothing appears on the displays, it is a problem with the 74HC4040, 74HC126 and 74HC139.
- if everything seems OK (8.1 8.1 and the 8.8.) but the card does not read the position of the steering wheel, there may be a SMD capacitor under the board shorted (right at the signal input)

On my displays comes out 81 81 and after a while 8 8, which in theory is all correct. So since it does not read the signal of the steering wheel (and I checked there is not a short on the capacitor at the signal input), the first thing to try are just the first components (74HC139 and two 74HC238)

I'll let you know!

Edited by saddys - 13 Jun 2018 at 10:22am
Sbdesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:58am
I recently got a daytona twin.
very strangely both steering wheels started to the left.
I whipped the dash out, took cog off of the pot, and adjust central and put back together.

I never questioned anything other than that and both work perfect, so maybe just try that. 
Sometimes if something fixes and works, I don't worry about why or the theory.  From what i have read above it makes no sense why it should of been how it was, centre was 9:00 and best I could calibrate in test was about 10:30 before it became out of range. 

When I told seller, he said bother were central when shipped, and thought it was funny that they both were centred left.

Looking out for a Sega Gun cab: HOTD 1or2 / VC 1or2
saddys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:04am
This is the first thing tried. I swap the entire steer unit and the problem still remain in the cab. Then I swap the drive board and the problem follow the board. So i'm sure that the problem is in the board.
Sbdesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:21am
Thats not what I said...

I said adjust the pot on the back...trust me...

I have a feeling the board is some how calibrated to the pot reading. I don't know the hows and why's...But I do know it fixed the same issue twice!

A theory..
Your pots are calibrated the same

But how your drive board is reading that pot is different.
Swapping like for like wheel panel = same issue (they are the same)
Swapping drive boards (some how reading pots different - agin don't know why) = problem follows board.

Try adjusting a pot on back of wheel while in test mode, until you can set centre with spindle central.  it literally took me 5 min from when I powered up to problem fixed.

Now you will have 
2 drive boards reading pot position differently.
2 different pot positions
both calibrated within range of FFB

Both working...

Someone may know what the logic is here, I just know it worked for me, it takes 5 min, its undoable, and you have nothing to loose.

Edited by Sbdesign - 13 Jun 2018 at 11:23am
saddys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:41am
ok, but the first thing I did was to take the steering wheel unit apart and remove the pot. In any position (by turning it manually) on the test I read only the same values, 00 and FF, no other values. So how can I adjust the pot if however the test sees me only the minimum and the maximum value?

Sbdesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:43am
Oh - this idiot "sbdesign" didn't read properly...

Do you have a photo of the back... I am sure mine only has 1 pot.
saddys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:44am
PS: in the TEST INPUT I can read regularly all the intermediate values, and in fact in the game the car runs perfectly together with the steering wheel. It is the DRIVE BOARD that does not read the right value of the POT although this works perfectly (from 0ohm to 5kohm) linearly!
saddys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:46am
Yes, in the Daytona Usa 2 there is only 1 POT. The 3 contacts of the POT join in the motherboard under the seat, while in the drive board join only 2 of the same POT.
Sbdesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:47am
So does force feedback work?
But when you start it centres left?

During the time it is centred left does it drive straight or pull left?

saddys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 11:54am
In the DRIVE BOARD TEST you can: STOP MOTOR, TURN LEFT, TURN RIGHT, SET CENTER, EXIT. 

Now it is set 00 (or FF I can not remember), so for him the center is LEFT. While I drive, he turns everything to the left and the car goes left. if I force the steering wheel to the center, the car goes straight, but as soon as I leave the steering wheel it goes to the left (its center). 

The problem is what I wrote above, that in the TEST DRIVE BOARD menu I should bring the steering wheel to the center (I should read 80H which is the perfect value of the center position) and select SET CENTER. But with the steering wheel in the center position I always see ONLY 00 (or FF), so he takes for good the center to right or left. I do not know if I explained myself well!
steling1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steling1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:00pm
It might not be this but it is worth checking you have the right rom chip installed in the FFB drive board (the board with the 2x square number displays)...

It should be EPR-20985 for Daytona 2, if it has sega rally 2 (EPR-20512) or another it can cause problems....

I swapped the game board from D2 to SR2 once and forgot to change the rom chip on the FFB board and I think the steering went a bit like you described (constantly pulling to the left).

If its just one side of the twin doing this have you tried swapping over the FFB drive boards as well as the servo drive board?....

If it is the wrong rom chip installed, avoid using it until you replace it with the correct one as continued use on the wrong game can damage the servo drive board....

Edited by steling1 - 13 Jun 2018 at 12:04pm
saddys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:06pm
To understand each other better: the value of the same pot (there is only one POT) is read both from the drive board (that regulates the FFB) and from the game board under the seat (which makes steering the car during the game). 

The game board perfectly reads the value (in fact the steering of the car is perfect during the game and in the INPUT TEST i can read the values ok). But in the TEST DRIVE BOARD, the board dont read the same signal in the correct way (indeed, he does not read it at all, only 00 or FF, as if the signal did not arrive well, which is the same). 

The signal of the POT (I checked this) arrives perfectly on the connector (I can read the kohm change based on the position of the steering wheel). On the two 7seg display I should read the value of the position of the steering wheel, but I don't read. In the working drive board instead I can read the values ??that change according to the position of the steering wheel, which does not happen with the card that does not go.
Sbdesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:06pm
So if you hit set centre...

It changes value..
As in...

Hold wheel slightly right - does it change value and does when u hit set
Turn a bit left, sets another number... then centre it and it sets another number.

While centre if you hit centre it says 80H

am I understanding correctly?

and if so has the belt slipped?, if centre wheel drives centre, and motor centre is say at 9 o clock position, perhaps move belt on motor and put wheel straight and then the motor is also aligned?

Edited by Sbdesign - 13 Jun 2018 at 12:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic