Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Fix logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Daytona USA(Model 2)Video-board Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VS2 Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daytona USA(Model 2)Video-board Repair
    Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:51pm

My Daytona USA had developed a fault with both the monitor and the videoboard.

Fist the monitor was all over the place and this was shipped off to Gunblade for a good once over.
Monitor arrived backed spot on as always from grant(he's done a few of mine before).

The next problem was on switching on the machine all the cars,roads and mountains etc. where almost transparent.Unhappy.

its hard to see it fully with the camera but here it is.(you can just see the cars)

So after a bit of digging on here and following the video below i though i would have a go at fixing the issues.

So first off all credit goes to the chap who has shared his work and findings with us allCool

Next i grabbed the image off youtube for reference and here it is below.

Next step was to get those 6 ram chips off and because the rom chip had already been replaced in a previous repair i thought i would leave that alone for now.

Now clean those pads on the board(note the rom chip has stayed in place).

Before i soldered the new chips in place i thought i would put the boards back together and fit them into the machine to see what happens then post the results as part of this fix log.

On booting up the machine the results where as follows.

If you watch the video it is said that there are 3 kinds of severity ranging from a slight flicker to no vectors at all.
on removing all 6 chips you only get the Text,sky and sea with the odd polygon flicker which is exactly the same as the videos worst case scenario.

I purchased 12 of these chips<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">(i thought i would have some future spares)</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;"> from america via Ebay for </span>about<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> £70 delivered as trying to acquire UK stock was working out about £12 a chip</span>LOLLOL

Right lets get them fitted.Smile

The flux round the chip legs looks worse on camera than it does in real life Wink

Now back in and tested and hey presto the machine is 100% working.

Happy Days ClapClapClap

I hope this little fix log helps if anyone else is going to have a go.Geek

Edited by VS2 Junkie - 11 Sep 2019 at 10:17pm
SUPERSPRINT View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERSPRINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:59pm
Thanks for sharing, flippin good work. Can I ask the method to remove the solder/resolder the surface mount chips?

Edited by SUPERSPRINT - 11 Sep 2019 at 9:01pm
channel27 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:07pm
Great work!
Wanted
Tekken: 3, 5DR, 5.1, 6, 6BR, TTT2
Virtua Fighter: 2.1, 3TB, 4, 5
Any working / faulty Sega Model 1/2/3 boards
Kev A View Drop Down
User
User

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:20pm
cracking job matey. Thanks for sharing
VS2 Junkie View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VS2 Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by SUPERSPRINT SUPERSPRINT wrote:

Thanks for sharing, flippin good work. Can I ask the method to remove the solder/resolder the surface mount chips?

No problem

Will post tomorrow when I am back in the workshop(I'm on a crappy old iPad at the moment)with some pics of the equipment I used.

Edited by VS2 Junkie - 11 Sep 2019 at 10:07pm
robotech View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:08am
well done nice to see another board set running

I repaired a few video boards last year using the same guys guide
after vamino found it out got chatting to the guy and ordered some chips

the guy mentions re burning the rom chip that sit next to the six ram chips but I never had to on both boards I repaired

I used a hot air gun to remove the old ram chips

sadly I think my cpu board has died now as I have two working video boards that display the same fault

Daytona board sets seem to have vanished from sale too
not seen any workable ones for ages and working sets are like gold bars

I wish more info was shared about repairing the few model 2 boards that are left to try and keep them running

Edited by robotech - 12 Sep 2019 at 1:19am
Daytonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lets go away
bones View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:10am
    My mates got a twin sit down Daytona usa,the right hand side has a problem where on one of the circuits when you go across the bridge the track just disappears and you're driving through mid air for a few seconds then the graphics all come back, it happens in exactly the same place every time. Would these ram chips be responsible for that?
lix View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:37am
Originally posted by bones bones wrote:

My mates got a twin sit down Daytona usa,the right hand side has a problem where on one of the circuits when you go across the bridge the track just disappears and you're driving through mid air for a few seconds then the graphics all come back, it happens in exactly the same place every time. Would these ram chips be responsible for that?
I think the issue you describe is more likely to be a bad model data chip on the top ROM board, well, either the rom chip or the socket it sits in. I've had a pretty similar issue with random polygons or scenery going missing at certain spots, or sometimes the polygon colours go all random and the issue would always follow the rom board when I swapped them around between each side.

Eventually tracked down the bad rom chip by swapping them over one by one. Got a working chip from another dead board to fix it. Also, look out for corroded legs on the rom chips, as they can be working fine until you pluck them out and a leg breaks off.
lix View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:53am
Originally posted by robotech robotech wrote:

the guy mentions re burning the rom chip that sit next to the six ram chips but I never had to on both boards I repaired

I wish more info was shared about repairing the few model 2 boards that are left to try and keep them running

That particular rom chip next to the bank of six memory ICs holds a the perspective transformation lookup table, and any fault with it can cause a specific kind of glitch where the polygons that make the scenery and cars kind of warp into and out of the screen from the center. It's pretty unique an issue but thankfully rare.

I'm still compiling a fault finding guide, I've done loads of repairs over the last few months now and I have pictures and videos of each specific kind of fault so I'll be typing it up when I get a moment. These boards are giving me a good workout as they keep failing but I have myself to blame for a couple of faults.

One issue I had was that I'de accidentally left the inner cage fan disconnected while knowing that the case fan wasn't working and I left the machine soak testing. So basically there was no ventilation going on and after a few hours I walked past the machine and it was glitching, turned it off and checked the boards and they were pretty toasty.

Another issue was with a board I'de repaired and cleaned but noted there were spots of corrosion due to leaky caps. I decided I'de recap the board another day, however it lasted a month before the board went bad. When I checked it, there was additional corrosion damage to some of the ram chips, so the leaky caps had done further damage. So I'm basically recapping everything now on each of the boards in the stacks. It just absolutely has to be done.
VS2 Junkie View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VS2 Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:32am
Originally posted by lix lix wrote:

Originally posted by robotech robotech wrote:

That particular rom chip next to the bank of six memory ICs holds a the perspective transformation lookup table, and any fault with it can cause a specific kind of glitch where the polygons that make the scenery and cars kind of warp into and out of the screen from the center. It's pretty unique an issue but thankfully rare.

I'm still compiling a fault finding guide, I've done loads of repairs over the last few months now and I have pictures and videos of each specific kind of fault so I'll be typing it up when I get a moment. These boards are giving me a good workout as they keep failing but I have myself to blame for a couple of faults.

One issue I had was that I'de accidentally left the inner cage fan disconnected while knowing that the case fan wasn't working and I left the machine soak testing. So basically there was no ventilation going on and after a few hours I walked past the machine and it was glitching, turned it off and checked the boards and they were pretty toasty.

Another issue was with a board I'de repaired and cleaned but noted there were spots of corrosion due to leaky caps. I decided I'de recap the board another day, however it lasted a month before the board went bad. When I checked it, there was additional corrosion damage to some of the ram chips, so the leaky caps had done further damage. So I'm basically recapping everything now on each of the boards in the stacks. It just absolutely has to be done.

It would be excellent to get a fix log for all the model 2-3 boards as a guide for fixing.

On a side note the fan in my Daytona failed and I think that's what caused the ram chips to fail.

I've just ordered a 5v premium fan off eBay for £20 as a sh*tty £5 one is more likley to fail.(will post a link later)

robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 7:08am
I look forward to reading your repair logs
When you get chance to share them lix
Certainly sounds like you know what your doing with these boards

I just copied someone elses repair guide

I love daytona mines been sitting in the corner gathering dust for far too long
channel27 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:29am
It's great to see all these Daytona repair logs and very much looking forward to seeing more Smile
Has anyone found any info on the CPU board? I've got a few that won't boot (with known working other boards) Cry
Wanted
lix View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by channel27 channel27 wrote:

It's great to see all these Daytona repair logs and very much looking forward to seeing more Smile
Has anyone found any info on the CPU board? I've got a few that won't boot (with known working other boards) Cry

Posted a long response but the it failed to post so here's the short version:

I've found that the most common issue has been IC23 & IC24 in the center of the CPU board, they are MB3771 power supply monitor reset chips made by Fujitsu, which either fail due to leaky caps nearby or just by being made by Fujitsu.

A way to check this is to provide the reset manually by grounding pin 8 with a wire on both chips. If the chips are bad then grounding the line should kickstart the CPU board.

My bodge is to remove the ICs and replace with a single 47uf capacitor with the negative side connected to pin 4 (ground) and positive to pin 8 (reset). This is the old school reset mechanism and isn't very clean so probably not recommended. The MB3771 is now made by Cypress so should be still available and more reliable.

The same chips are also on the servo driver board, IO board and sound board. So any of those showing signs of death can also be investigated for this. This cap bodge on those particular boards will need an extra 1K resistor pullup between pins 5 & 8.

Here's the chips:

And my bodge (note the previous corrosion around the pads):

Edited by lix - 12 Sep 2019 at 1:02pm
channel27 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:23pm
Outstanding, thanks! Thumbs Up Really looking forward to reading about more repairs!

Originally posted by lix lix wrote:

...which either fail due to leaky caps nearby or just by being made by Fujitsu.
 LOL

Wanted
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:54pm
I need to do the same with my Daytona board. What was your source for the chips please?

They're about $70 from here for 12
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 6:04pm
Incredible fix Steve
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:30pm

Edited by robotech - 12 Sep 2019 at 10:33pm
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:33pm
[QUOTE=J69] I need to do the same with my Daytona board. What was your source for the chips please?

I think my last lot were from ali express or wish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic