Forum Home Forum Home > Virtuality > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Dino King Monitor + vga amp issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ismine9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dino King Monitor + vga amp issue
    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:15pm
First project newbie with a Dino King. Hello!

I'm testing vga output to the monitor from my laptop using a ultimarc video amp. I've read the forum posts on jamma converting these but am monkey head scratching on this issue.

pic of wiring (that's the yellow wire disconnected just visible at top)

pic of screen output (video here) - red green and blue horizontal lines whizzing across the screen. Weeee

emoticon of me Angry

:) Any thoughts appreciated

ps. monitor tested ok with original game.
Hitesh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:19pm
I know less about monitors than anyone you have ever met but here goes; what the resolution settings on the computer? 640x480??
Hitesh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:20pm
Also, need to run soft15??
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:23pm
OOkaay. you need to make sure your sync cable is going to the horizontal sync line on the dino king monitor and not the vertical sync. The Dino King monitor uses the horizontal sync input as 'composite sync'.
Then yep, you need to be outputting a 15Khz image. Usually windows on PC cannot be stopped from outputting 31Khz during bootup, so people with mame PCs switch on the monitor after bootup has completed.

Escape-to-88 is likely your man on this stuff. He's done a lot of groovymamepc hacking with his Dino King recently.

WTD: OutrunDLX, Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Wonderboy pcb
Parts WTD: Naomi wheels, Dino King Door metal clip
ismine9 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ismine9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 11:05pm
Thanks for the advice.

My masterplan was to test the dino monitor with my laptop and an ultimarc, then swap it with a pandoras box 5 (non cga), using the vga cable with the rest of the wiring on the jamma loom. 

I can see this plan may be a bit flawed as the laptop and the pandoras will be outputting a signal at 31khz not 15khz, so the arcade monitor won't like it?

I think i'm going to have to stick with straight up jamma, which was the original plan anyway. I could be wrong and probably am! LOL

aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeroflott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 11:17pm
Here's how mine was wired up:

I also had to cut through the half moon shapes on the amp as per instructions.

But all this means not much unless you're outputting a 15khz signal from your emulator.
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 12:36am
Gotta love Segas wiring colour codes haven't you Big smile
Interesting you have both H-sync and V-sync separate there. That ain't no jamma standard!
Guess the monitors can support both composite and separate sync modes then.
You wouldn't have managed to do anything higher res than interlaced 480i on your Dino King have you Tony?

I run vertical games from the pi box in interlaced mode, it's pretty nice if you are prepared to squint at times (single pixel bullet games just ain't happening though!)

Edited by Flinnster - 11 Aug 2018 at 12:37am

WTD: OutrunDLX, Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Wonderboy pcb
Parts WTD: Naomi wheels, Dino King Door metal clip
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic