Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Dino Kings Restore / Conversion Log

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:51pm
If you're binning the leftovers I wouldn't mind the System-SP board to play with...

I wasn't planning on completely binning anything just yet, sorry Tongue (although I could have my arm twisted with trades or some funds for the project).

As mentioned elsewhere if I do get a chance to get some credits or to grab a hacked copy of the game to copy on the CF card, then I can still give the actual Dino King game a go (I'm doing my mods in a way where I could just hook the original board, PSUs + ticket gubbins straight back in - no wires cut here!

There were also some other odd titles for the SP system that I quite fancied taking a look at, just not sure if they will run by simply copying over the data, or whether they'll need a specific security chip and yet more RFID credits.
I mean, what's not to love about this!

The marquee is something I need to look at next. I think I will try and hairdryer the Dino King bit off.
This one appears a bit more substantial, i wasnt able to get it started with my fingernail.......

Yep I guess you are talking about the official Dino King SEGA marquee + info strip at the bottom. One of mine already had these removed so it's certainly possible.... then I have 3 to try and take off without damaging the original artwork Confused
From what I can see they appear to be glued around the edges only, so as you suggested gentle heat with a hairdryer on a corner should lift them off... let me know how it goes! Big smile

Edited by Flinnster - 22 Mar 2017 at 9:54pm

WTD: Outrun DLX cab, Rolling Thunder pcb
Parts WTD: Dino King Door, Coin Box, Coin Chute
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 10:20pm
I was thinking of Giant Tetris or future police....

I know somone on AP is working on an rfid emulator for ID - might be possible to get it working on these too.

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by penrhos penrhos wrote:

I was thinking of Giant Tetris or future police....

I know somone on AP is working on an rfid emulator for ID - might be possible to get it working on these too.

Surely Giant Tetris only works if you have the mahoosive screen? Although with VGA out I guess it's possible to just rig up a massive telly LOL

But yeah, RFID emulation would be superb. Even better would just be twisting the wires together and holding it together with foil and chewing gum, you know.. McGuyver style Wink

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:36pm
I'd been pondering stripping out the step-down transformer to clean better, but was hesitant on whether it would hold any charge.
I finally had the balls to get it removed, and did the mains filter too. I tested everything with the multimeter and yep, as some had suggested ... nothing.
Phew!

So with those gone I could do the full hoover and wet-wipe clean of the entire cab inside and out. The torn and scratched vinyl art was stripped, after a little advice from Tony Mr Arcade Blogger himself Smile
All came out pretty clean, with the usual scrapes at the back and around the base from being on location (probably will try a gloss white paint pen / car touch up brush where the cab is scratched back to bare metal).

I then also stripped the vinyl sides from the first cab I got hold of.
This originally had Mr Driller art stuck on top, but that had long gone when I collected it, leaving adhesive marked and torn white vinyl on either side.
Now... if you go to the effort of completely covering a cab in vinyl, it's probably to cover up something nasty, so I was a bit fearful of what I'd find...

I think I got away pretty lightly on that one! Tongue
Sure there's a sketchy area at the top on one side but it's mostly pristine. If anything the white vinyl I took off has protected the cab during it's unfortunate time stripped out in a garden shed (before I got hold of it).

So all four mini-cabs are now together in a row - the 'mini-arcade'!
Two blank white for my re-designs, and two that still have the original Dino King orange art on either side and on the front doors.
I still have two sets of working Dino King internals too, and my conversions are being done in a way where I could plug the original hardware back in if I ever have a way to run the original game.

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:55pm
You could have asked what was under the vinyl - it was no secret - just to cover a few bumps!
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:07am
Originally posted by virtvic virtvic wrote:

You could have asked what was under the vinyl - it was no secret - just to cover a few bumps!

I guess that's true! I keep forgetting who has had what in the past! LOL

Sorry to be undoing your hard work fella Cry
Unfortunately it was ripped up in a couple of places where it had snagged on things so it had to go anyway... I figured if I did uncover a black hole or something, I could hastily get a couple of fresh white pieces to apply!

Edited by Flinnster - 25 Mar 2017 at 12:07am

THEVLM View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEVLM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:09pm
All four of them lined up and wired up will look sick, any intentions on linking two together for head to head?
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by THEVLM THEVLM wrote:

All four of them lined up and wired up will look sick, any intentions on linking two together for head to head?

Yes I already have the controls for 2 of them linked, so 2 player option. For 4 players it will depend on the exact game board and how player 3+4 looms are wired in. I expect using some kind of kick-style harness arrangement.

For the monitors I got the image working fine on some games, but with horizontal distortion on others. Tried adding more grounding to the loom and video ground on that but it made no difference, so I'm still to try different approaches for better video with no interference (might use a straight VGA splitter and a regular shielded VGA cable for instance)

muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 7:57am
I always got some interference if I kept the vga connector on the video wiring, now I always cut that off, shorten the cable a few feet and solder the rgb from the new loom straight on, don't get any issues then.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

I always got some interference if I kept the vga connector on the video wiring, now I always cut that off, shorten the cable a few feet and solder the rgb from the new loom straight on, don't get any issues then.

So all of mine that are converted so far are running on little VGA breakout boards, and when connected up just as a single cab with jamma the monitors are totally fine. I only get weirdness when trying to do linking across two cabs.
I wonder if the jamma signal is just really weak for these kinds of monitors maybe? Certainly the similarity between what you are describing and what I've found, is just 'length of wire' really? Wacko

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 3:26pm
With the various bits for my jamma wiring having arrived, I managed to get a bit of time in the evenings this weekend to do some dabbling on the mains side of the cab.
It was the first time sorting out those connectors and making sure everything was safe / sane for me, so I'm pretty pleased with how tidy it all came out.
I don't even have proper crimp tools, so doing those connectors with just the tools I had available was a slight pain, but got there in the end!

I've made sure there's enough cable running to the switching supply so I keep my options open on where to place it. Both my converted cabs have the switchers next to the front door, but there's an unused space in the back corner where they would fit nicely (just need to make a new MDF panel to sit them on).
Then the current MDF panel at the front of the cabinet base can be used for a game board - it's perfectly sized for an MVS 1-slot or a PGM motherboard.

After that it was a case of popping the stripped & cleaned top shelf back in, together with the test/service panel that has the monitor power connection.
Wired up the JAMMA harness, RGB outputs and speaker and fired up the cab for a quick test with a cheapy pandora's box as my test board.
All good - worked first time, and the monitor just needed a little tweaking with the pots to get a little skewing at the top of the image removed.

So next up I turn my attention to the control panel. This one is going to have a 2 player 4 button panel for starters - I just need to get the hole position measurements over to Vic so he can get it made up for me.

Then because I plan to do hot-swapping of the control panels between 1 & 2 player versions, I need to try and source one of these metal panels from behind the Dino King control panel that holds the JST connectors in place.

Sadly it was missing on this cab (pics of the bit of metal, and how it looks  when fully fitted on a cab). If anyone has one of these going spare that they don't need, please get in touch!

Edited by Flinnster - 09 Apr 2017 at 3:28pm

Zipper View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 12:02am
Thanks to Muddymusic, I've got a Dino King lined up and cannot wait to get stuck into it. This thread will come in very handy, and I'm really interested to see where you go with the art on your cabs.
I've been thinking what to do with mine and I've finally settled on a theme... I'm going to base it on an MVS-U4. Been messing around with designs and a credit counter..
I was thinking I'd really love a dedicated Green Beret or Kung Fu Master cab... but I really do love MVS, and especially the U4. I'm aiming to add headphone jack, memory card reader, mini marquees on the bezel... with luck, a proper mini version of the full size cab. Should keep me busy for a while Cool
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 12:09am
That looks super interesting - I would guess you are after one with a blue monitor bezel then Approve
I'd love to see more details on your credit counter - being driven from Mame or something?
And also where you plan to mount the headphone socket - I'd thought about that one too.. the plastic underneath the CP area has a flat base where things can be hidden out of view, possibly...

For the mini-marquees, you might need to do custom shrunk ones for a 4-wide lineup. There's barely enough room for two of them at their real size on a little Dino cab Wink

Good luck with it!

Zipper View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 12:28am
Thanks Smile
I got an orange bezel, but white sides to the cab - which I think could be more important to me.
I'm going to cut a rectangular bezel out of acrylic (I hope) and have this behind / sandwiched...
Swappable, shrunk mini marquees that slot in the back (rather than just these 4).
I was thinking to just drive the coin counter in parallel with coinup (increment) and P1 start (decrement)- and probably use mame (which emulates a 4-slot well)... But after finding this thread by NES4Life today: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/arduino-neo-geo-mvs-mvled-mvela-replacement_topic339396.html
.... Having the MVS hardware drive the counter would be ace.

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 12:38am
Ah shame, the blue bezel would work well with your style (other than the Sega logo, just to mess it up!). If you don't need your orange bezel, I might be interested! Embarrassed

All looks good though, and the arduino counter is very neat - just need to make sure you have an MVS mobo with the relevant player credit board connectors? (from the top of my head, the MV-1FS has them, but the MV-1FZ doesn't annoyingly, as it fits brilliantly in a dino king!).

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:55pm
I had zero time to do anything arcade related this weekend. However on my browsing travels I discovered these! No idea what the actual game is.. but another flavour of the same Sega mini-cab design as the Dino Kings!
Fishy! Big smile

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 11:57pm
Long time no progress on the cabs. I got a bit of tidying up done this weekend though - finally got round to sorting out a proper base to mount the switching supply on to free up more space at the bottom of the cab.
Now my solution is nothing snazzy (not as impressive as Franco's creations, that's for sure!), but it gets the job done.

Normally my switcher and any additional boards like the MVS or PGM motherboards have to share the tiny little mounting board where the card dispenser used to live. It's pretty cramped:

My plan is to move the switcher to the space in the back corner of the cab:

I cut a C-shaped MDF panel to fit, and drilled countersunk holes to match where the original
cable tidy hole points are in the base. All hand-cut here, no motorised tools unfortunately:

With that done, I gave the bottom area a good clean and made sure I'd have enough length of wire to reach where's needed:

Slotted the MDF shape into place, which fits around the existing transformer mounting panel to be fairly snug:

But to be completely secure, I've bolted it into place using M4 bolts and nuts, that use the existing holes already in the base of the cab:

With the MDF tightly in place, it was just a case of mounting the switching supply again, and
popping the front area panel back in.. space at last!

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:24pm
More updates Smile

Vic sent over some 2 player control panels that he'd kindly manufactured for me, having spent ages re-working my bonkers measurements to something a little more sane for his engineering mind and machines Tongue They have a nice smooth white surface on top, and the backing is more textured, like brushed metal in style.

Thanks Vic! I don't think it was actually possible to put any more holes in one of these panels was it?

He even sent over a green ball top so I was able to have matching sticks and buttons!
Here's how it all looks in place:

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:49pm
Much better now that collars match cuffs :D
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:23am
Thanks again! I now need to up my collection of cute and colourful 2 player game boards! Thumbs Up

Edited by Flinnster - 17 May 2017 at 12:23am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic