ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Dino Kings Restore / Conversion Log

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 11:45pm
I have the ones above for the full bezel area.

For my custom prints using the existing Sega bezels, I made the following:

uploads/3498/dino-template-full.zip

WTD: OutrunDLX, Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Wonderboy pcb
Parts WTD: Naomi wheels, Dino King Door metal clip
deanzor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Zipper Zipper wrote:

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/sega-dino-mushi-king-love-berry-artwork-template_topic342086.html

I used these for mine. MuddyM kindly scanned and posted.

Does anyone have a copy of the CP template? The ones at the URL linked don't seem to be there any more. Thanks.

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 10:23pm

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 10:27pm
CAD file for 1 player 6 button panel:

uploads/3498/2L6B.zip

deanzor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 10:56pm
Legend, thank you!
qjuk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

Flinnster, I’m currently putting in wiring for Dino Jamma cab and thought it might be an idea to use the same wiring layout from your photo for the control panel. The idea is to eventually have a few different panels I can swop out so need to keep to the same layout standard on them all.

Can I ask if your pin layout diagram is viewed from the front of the plug or from the rear where the wires come out?

Thanks
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 12:51am
Nice one for adopting the Flinnster Dino Wiring Standard! LOL

Yep so my wiring diagram is for the plug that's connected to your control panel buttons + stick, when viewed from the front of the cabinet looking inwards as if you are about to plug it straight in.

I use standard wiring colours, so you can see ground at the bottom left here (black), and then the joystick colours for player 1 up / down / left / right going across the top row there (red, orange, yellow, green):

So yes, when wiring the loom side on the JST socket that sits in the metal strip under the control panel, everything will be mirrored left to right of course. I find it's best to wire a single joystick first from the control panel plug side, then do the jamma loom side for the socket, and give that a test.
If all is good, proceed to the buttons. And then continue to do the same for player 2, if you have a 2L12B panel Thumbs Up

Edited by Flinnster - 01 Oct 2018 at 12:55am

qjuk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 8:09pm
Many thanks for that Flinnster

Initially, I’ll be wiring up a 2L6B panel and was thinking of wiring my connector as your 2 player, 4 button Neo Geo layout with the (not required for my 2L6B panel) P1 BUT4 wire going to pin 25 on the Jamma connector and P2 BUT4 to pin c. I would probably leave P1 BUT5 and P1 BUT6 blank.

I was thinking of keeping the existing Dino 8 pin connector as well and using it as a possible kick harness and leave the GND and 5v wiring in the original position. That way it could power a spinner/trackerball if needed. The other 6 pins could be used for Player buttons 4-6 wired to a separate JST connector near the Jamma connector for ease of access should I need the additional buttons in future.

What do you think? Have I got every base covered?
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 12:46am
Yep, I'm doing a rotary stick control panel soon. The currently empty middle JST connector holes will be how I connect up the rotary ribbon headers.... if I have enough pins! Big smile

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:04pm
Started cleaning up a Love & Berry cab that I picked up a little while back. Nothing that special to report really, just the usual process of stripping everything back to give it all a really good clean over and check all the connections before firing up.

I was interested in this cab to see if the wiring differered at all from the Dino Kings I have done in the past. I can report it's practically identical - the only difference is the monitor topped single speaker at the top of the cab, and the holes drilled in the bezel for the speaker area.

It was sadly from a ferry company, so the sides have rivet holes drilled where restraining brackets were used to hold it in place onboard ship.
I am thinking either to put small coach bolts in to mask the holes, or to remove the art and use car body filler and a gloss paint pen to touch up the holes.

Sadly the system SP board didn't have a compact flash card in it that holds the game data, despite what appears to be the proper 'key chip' in the mobo - so I'm after an image of the LnB game to write to a CF card if anyone has it.

So a few before and after pics.... only got as far as the mains power area so far, still plenty to clean and reassemble.

Got all of the wiring and components out of the cab frame and gave the metalwork a thorough hoover and scrub down with wipes. Tons of that greasy carbon dust you get from the monitors in this one, but not too bad really - just dusty at the bottom, and the usual bits of coke spillage stuff and bits of crunchie bar going on in places.
The bezel had the op sticker removed with the help of a little novus, and the plastic surround actually had what appeared to be very old chewing gum on it (it looked like a rusted bolt originally!) that hot air and isoprop cleaned up nicely, leaving a blob of white plastic underneath, compared to the yellow of the overall plastic - so must have been there for years!

Cleaned the base and wheels, just need to give them a bit of wd40 so they spin better now.
There's a fair bit of orange paint scrape around the back and base of the cab, so I'll likely use a very light bit of magic eraser to get that back to white again.

Edited by Flinnster - 02 Dec 2018 at 5:24pm

qjuk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:54pm
It’s amazing how nice these cabinets can look with a bit of elbow grease.

Would body work filler work ok on these as the metal is quite thin? It’s not so bad putting coach bolts in where the front security bar was, but there’s quite a few holes on the side of yours so I would be tempted myself to try the filler.

What game do you intend to use the cabinet for?
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 6:37pm
Yep I recall my body filler experience in the past was quite 'blobby' to be solid Ouch

I was thinking it can blob up on the inside if needed for strength as that's only an internal niggle (nobody would even see it from the outside). I could brace the outside with a flat mdf or wood panel while the resin sets, which when removed should leave a flush hole filled with very minimal smoothing required. Maybe Stern Smile

Oddly the rivet holes look far cleaner on the inside at the moment, so most of the 'damage' done was to the vinyl artwork I think / hope.
The op here was lucky not to have drilled through the monitor RGB cable - they were clearly pros and knew exactly what they were doing.....

No idea on the exact game yet. I was pondering perhaps to re-use the bezel with the pink colour frame on my Bubble Bobble cab, as the colours may work well there.
Might need to figure out the marquee though, as all those speaker holes would probably look a bit odd with the Bubble Bobble logo there.

Edited by Flinnster - 02 Dec 2018 at 6:41pm

J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 7:30pm
Liquid metal comes in a tube and can be sanded flat. Cheap and easy to fill something like that
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:20pm
Yep I've seen people use liquid metal on CP holes - but I've never used it myself yet!
How much sanding does it usually need?

I have a feeling the gloss white paint coat on the outside of this cab is going to be in very good shape once I'm done, yet once I start sanding any areas a respray / powdercoat might be needed.

Holes or buggered paintwork.. sigh! Embarrassed

Edited by Flinnster - 02 Dec 2018 at 10:24pm

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 11:38pm
Got the main guts of the Love & Berry re-assembled now everything has been cleaned and fired it up for the first time.
Most of it is looking pretty sparkly now (pretty different from the original stripdown pics earlier anyway!), just the control panel to do really - the two large buttons are proving to be a right pain in the backside to budge.

Initially the monitor was dead dark and had no contrast. With a bit of tweaking of the front and rear pots, I got everything sorted and was suprised to find the game boots from the boot eprom with no CF card present. The game must be tiny!

Tested all the functions, barcode reader and card dispenser are all good and the RFID management chip reader is all working correctly too. Both speakers working without any issues - happy days!

Sadly the game is even more limited than the Dino King one. At least with Dino King you have a 1/3 chance of winning rock, paper, scissors. Love & Berry is a one button game, you just tap out the beat to watch your character dance. It's a mobile game really. Shame on you Sega..

Next up, cleaning the control panel, and getting some locks for the doors.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic