Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Donkey Kong rom swap.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukhbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donkey Kong rom swap.
    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 5:49pm
Hi all,I have a donkey Kong PCB (tk4) original and it has the us set ROMs fitted.is it possible to change these ROMs to the Japanese version ROMs? much prefer the jap version of donkey Kong where the levels go in the right order.
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 10:20pm
As far as I know it's a straight swap of the four CPU eproms.
You rang......?
Rich View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:25am
I have the high score kit by HighScoreSaves and there is an option to switch between Japan and US when starting up, I also prefer the Japan version

R
sukhbir View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukhbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:32am
Hi all,I manage to burn the 4 cpu jap roms and 1 gx1 rom but the game does not boot?maybe I fitted them in the wrong locations?
This is the order I fitted:

Romjp c_5f to c_5e
Romjp 5g to c_5c
Romjp 5h to c_5b
Romjp c_5k to 5a
Romjp v_5k to v_3p

Any idea where I’m going wrong?
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 11:14am
According to mame that looks correct but I've seen mame not list the order correctly for the CPU roms so try revering the order:

Romjp c_5f to 5a
Romjp 5g to c_5b
Romjp 5h to    c_5c
Romjp c_5k to  c_5e
You rang......?
sukhbir View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukhbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 11:48am
Hi,I will give it a go and see what happens.
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:03pm
Same as lurch said its the 4 main CPU's - Should work. The below image is from the latest mame set :-

Hope this helps,

Dave.

AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
sukhbir View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukhbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:08pm
hi all,swapped the roms around but still does not boot?the roms i have burned are the japan set 1 and i have done a romident and all ok?has anyone done this conversion?
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:21pm
Have you used exactly the same type of roms?

What is the type of rom on your kong PCB?
You rang......?
SUPERSPRINT View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERSPRINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:37pm
The Japanese board set TGK3 or TGK is a 4 board set. So it’s essentially completely different hardware. Are you sure this is even possible? I would doubt that a rom swap is possible due to the fact that the us and jap board sets are fundamentally different.
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:57pm
I have a tkg4 2-board that is running jap roms currently.

I'm wanting to do the reverse of what OP wants lol.
sukhbir View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukhbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:34am
Hi, just to be clear I have a tkg4 2 PCB board.
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Lurch666 Lurch666 wrote:

Have you used exactly the same type of roms?

What is the type of rom on your kong PCB?

It's just if your board uses 2532 eproms and you have used 2732 these eproms are not compatible.
You rang......?
sukhbir View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukhbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:27am
I have used nos 2532 roms which I had purchased many moons ago.I did not erase the original (us set roms) in case one day I would sell my board.
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:03am
That's me out of ideas then.
I have never owned an original DK boardset so was just assuming it would be the same as other region rom swaps I have done with other boards.

I apologise if my assumptions have steered you wrong.
You rang......?
sukhbir View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukhbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:18am
That’s ok,your help was much appreciated.
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:52am

Just found this thread about someone having problems with DK roms.
Fourth post gives details of the odd mame naming.
Maybe might help?
You rang......?
sukhbir View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sukhbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 4:05pm
Hi all,good news I finally sorted the conversion problem.my board is working now with the Japanese version . what I did was clean all the legs of the four ROMs with fine sand paper,I suspect there maybe oxidation on some of the legs.you can see it running on YouTube.

HTTPS://youtu.be/Qqt9rYXiEwo

How fun repairing vintage electronics can be
Thanks for everyone's help,much appreciated.
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 5:03pm
Thanks for the update.

i couldn't find anywhere that would actually confirm if this would work so It's nice to have it verified that this can be done.
You rang......?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic