Elite Dangerous - Horizons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elite Dangerous - Horizons
    Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 12:13pm
I know I created the original "post your user" thread, but since beta my experience of this game has been totally underwhelming. I spent a lot of money on it and also bought the lifetime pass so with the event of "Horizons" hitting last Monday, I want to see if I can get some more out of it.

My problem is twofold, but one leads to the other.

Firstly, whatever I do, I find it's nothing more than a dull grind-fest. It looks great and plays great, but once you get over the initial "wow, this looks awesome" and the fact you can do all this stuff you couldn't do in older versions of Elite, you quickly realise there simply isn't much to do. There's only so much hopping from system to system I can take. It's like it needs a quest system or something.

Secondly, I played it to death in Beta and by the time it came out I was already bored (I refer you to my point above!). OK, that's my own fault and lesson learnt. I won't play any more game betas and will wait until they're properly released. But if I hadn't got into it during beta I'd not have been able to get the lifetime pass (for what good that will do me if I don't play the game!!).

SO...

What can I do to make the game more interesting?

I've heard on the FD forums that playing Solo could be the cause of the boredom and that you need to play in groups. I wonder if that is true? Is there anything much more I could do if we teamed up?

My problem there is 1) everyone I know locally in real life is a console gamer so I am literally on my own in that respect and 2) I also don't start gaming until 10PM most nights (and go on to 2AM). Not only does it mean that most of the time my paths don't cross with people on my friends lists, but it makes voice comms impossible since the wife is tucked up in bed by about 11 as she has a 6AM start every day.

Any thoughts then? What can you do as a group online that you can't when playing solo? And could we form a group and make the logistics work?

Edited by guddler - 17 Dec 2015 at 12:16pm
abaxas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abaxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 8:59pm
1) You have to play in open or no-one is going to kick your arse. Happens more often than you think

2) It's much better in teams as you can do things together and just generally fill in the time. ED isn't really a normal 'MMO', it's more of a proper role playing game.

3) Goes well with drink and 'student cigarettes' :P

Shinogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 11:34am
Originally posted by guddler guddler wrote:

My problem there is 1) everyone I know locally in real life is a console gamer so I am literally on my own in that respect.
It's on the xbox one now I believe.
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 2:32pm
Doesn't help. I'm on PC and as ever there's no cross-play.
AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by abaxas abaxas wrote:

Goes well with 'student cigarettes' :P

Hehe 420.
アンディック
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic