Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Eurogamer: Tales from inside Sega AM2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vinegar Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eurogamer: Tales from inside Sega AM2
    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 6:04pm
Thought this might be of interest; https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-10-10-tales-from-inside-studio-128-sega-am2s-top-secret-studio

A highlight for me:

It was during this period that Sega AM2 worked on R360, arguably the most ambitious of its taikan games - a cabinet designed to accompany G-LOC: Air Battle, it could rotate a full 360 degrees on any axis. "It was a big no-no to debug that cabinet alone with just one person," says Kawaguchi as he recalls another story involving Kobayashi. "It's really important someone else is there. But he did debug it himself one night. And he got stuck upside down in the machine. He ended up trapped in there for two hours - the night guard found him and rescued him. Nowadays, the rules around debugging things are a bit stricter..."

Worth reading the full thing though!
L_____E_____T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L_____E_____T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 9:33pm
Haha, I played one of those on a holiday to Gran Canaria and yup - mate of mine got stuck in that thing upside down for about 15 minutes too...  it was funny, then quickly turned worrying, then funny again :D
www.FamicomWorld.com
Vinegar Joe View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinegar Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 6:36pm
Sounds like they didn't quite fix all the bugs then!

Also lots of stories about working at 2 in the morning and sleeping at the office, which is rightly frowned upon these days. But then again, I suspect most of us would volunteer to do that if we were working on Outrun!
L_____E_____T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L_____E_____T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 6:42pm
That's a very Japanese cultural norm - especially in the 90s, and of course common even today in games development.  I've pulled many nights like that in my 20s - editing until 5am is not something I accept anymore, though I do pull some 2am stretches if there's a strong deadline - only from the 'home' office!
www.FamicomWorld.com
GameOn View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GameOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:45pm
I liked the untranslated Japanese tweets in the article, especially this one...

OUTRUN 8-inch disc! ! I don't feel so old because I've been arranging it recently. When I look at the name of the song written, it's "Passing Breeze" instead of "Passing wind", so it's the last disc. LOL
dj_yt View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:17pm
Yep, passing breeze was originally entitled passing wind!

And yes, whilst the games industry had become a lot better in the last 20 years, there are still plenty of talented developers out there working their backsides off!
Vinegar Joe View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinegar Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:36am
There's nothing wrong with pulling the odd late night to get things done, as long as it doesn't become the norm and expected of people. As a consumer I'd much rather a game be delayed than staff have to go through hell to meet a deadline. Of course it isn't always that simple.

Anyway, another semi related article on the same site (it's Sega week) about the C64 conversion of Outrun which is pretty interesting: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-10-13-the-boy-behind-the-biggest-coin-op-conversion-of-the-80s
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic