Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Ferrari F355 TWIN - QUESTIONS CRT PIFORCE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ferrari F355 TWIN - QUESTIONS CRT PIFORCE
    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 11:45am
EDIT:

Was looking into getting a F355 TWIN...

But just some questions...

1) I know these are naomi, but is it the normal white ones as in uprights?
2) If so, and also if not, can they be used with piforce. And if so Initial D? Crazy Taxi?
3) As per somebody mentioned below, these could be medium res monitors.  Anybody know what monitors?
4) Is a Chihiro with outrun 2 a straight swap?

If anyone has one, has anyone done any mods to be a multi play system?

thank you

Edited by Sbdesign - 17 Mar 2019 at 5:20pm
PM ME IF you have VIRTUA COP - please
obcd View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 12:55pm
What cabinet? Single, dual or deluxe?
The deluxe was a special beast with 3 screens. It used pretty special hardware. It's similar to naomi hardware, but there is one for each screen.
No idea what the other cabinets used. Could be naomi -> jvs?
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 1:07pm
UPDATED MAIN POST (EDIT)

Edited by Sbdesign - 17 Mar 2019 at 5:21pm
obcd View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 1:21pm
For Piforce, you will need a netdimm for your naomi's. (I assume they boot from a flash cartridge now?)
Chihiro uses JVS as well and has the same power connectors. A thing that could be different is the force feedback interface board. Sega Chihiro games used a midi board, and Namco chihiro games used a serial interface to a (happ force feedback?) but I could be wrong about that.
You can set the outrun game to upright and use it without force feedback.

Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 1:36pm
UPDATED MAIN POST (EDIT)

Edited by Sbdesign - 17 Mar 2019 at 5:21pm
obcd View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 1:42pm
Just did some further reading and unsure if the system was using 24khz monitors or 31khz ones.

It also looks like the naomi's use a different casing compared to naomi -1 and naomi - 2. No idea if a netdimm fit's on f355 ones? (Looks a normal naomi motherboard so maybe with a new bios chip it might work.)

Further, most other games use an up / down shifter or a 4gear shifter and not the flaps that are used by this cabinet for gear shifting.

We have a deluxe at work and that's using an 31 khz monitor. It has a 6 gear manual shifter and an additional clutch pedal. There is a third "simulator mode" in gameplay. The manual gear shifter can only be manipulated when the clutch pedal is pressed.
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 5:25pm
Thanks for the info and providing some information, I have edited title and main post to see if we can find out some of the stuff you point out.

Would love the deluxe, but space and machines is just getting silly as it is.
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 8:05pm
The Manual states: 
"NANAO monitor: (24K mode)"
then proceeds to tell you what the adjustment controls do.  It has no 31K mention in it nor does it mention the model number.

I'm confused to why they used medium res.  Would the ops not pay that little etc?  Would Sega not want their games looking the best they can against competition from Namco?

But Anyhow...
still non the wiser yet on running other games

Edited by Sbdesign - 17 Mar 2019 at 9:03pm
Outrun2 View Drop Down
User
User
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 9:03pm
Monitors in an F355 twin are 31k Nanao MS2932. Top quality monitors.

Cab is JVS and uses Sun PSU so Chihiro can be dropped in to run OutRun2.

F355 boards are 'basically' Naomi 1 but specific types of Naomi 1. Initial D is Naomi 2 so won't run on it but Crazy Taxi is N1 so should run.

All my cabs and games are original so I've never netbooted anything but you'd need at least a netdimm and different bios to even attempt netbooting onto an F355 board. F355 runs a decased cart/rom board.

If you want to run other driving games on an F355 cab, it's not a problem, just get a Naomi 2 board and netdimm for iD1/2/3, Crazy Taxi and a netbootable Chihiro for OR2 and specifically a type 3 Chihiro if you want to run OR2SP and Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 1/2.

The games will run (without ffb*) - most you'll need to do is remap a few pins on the i/o board to get correct gears and buttons (digital inputs). Card reader for iD/WMMT is a different story but games do run without.

*Regular OR2 will run with ffb in an F355 cab with F355 drive boards. IIRC OR2SP and certainly initial D will require a more modern midi servo drive board.
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Sbdesign Sbdesign wrote:

I know these are naomi, but is it the normal white ones as in uprights?

The twin uses a large pcb cage for each side which is much bigger than the standard white naomi. The cart is the same as a normal one though. The 3 screen one has a cage for each monitor, it's a huge setup.

As per somebody mentioned below, these could be medium res monitors.  Anybody know what monitors?

It runs in 31k/VGA. afaik there's no 24k option.

Is a Chihiro with outrun 2 a straight swap?

You can't just run OutRun 2 SP on it, you need to swap the i/o board and ffb board + change a load of wiring. I've not done it myself but I believe you can just stick a Chihiro type 1 in and use the F355 i/o and feeback board.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 9:04pm
You wait all day for an answer then get 2 at once LOL
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
Outrun2 View Drop Down
User
User
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 9:46pm
Yea, I was waiting for someone else to step in but couldn't bear it any more so had to break my six month silence..

..I should have waited one second longer!
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 10:21pm
Thanks guys.
I thought it must be 31K, strange the manual states 24k.

Not too bothered about outrun 2, so may have to just forget about that one. Doesn't seem worth the investment of cash or time.

I have a naomi 2 in a king of route cab I havent touched, so i can use that.
If you can't run piforce on the specific naomi board, I don't mind throwing some normal ones at it with netdimms, if thats the only thing needed to gain initial D extra, I think the investment is worth it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic