Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Fire extinguishers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fire extinguishers
    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 10:53am
I've been meaning to get one of these for the games room, just incase. I was wondering what you guys have? I think I need one specifically for electrical fires, that won't ruin all the electrics, if I need to use it? I have one of the type that uses some kind of powder, but that would make a right old mess of everything. Don't want a huge one, just something small-ish that I can have close to hand, should something go tits-up with all this ageing electronics. Wink

Can anyone recommend a type of extinguisher, and a place to purchase, please. Had a quick look on ebay, but not sure what's best, and some are pretty expensive.

Cheers
ataridude74 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ataridude74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 4:55pm
One of these, it's not the biggest but then you have to replace them every few years so no point in getting a huge one:

I like having the piece of mind that I can reach for it, just in case.....
serve the public, protect the innocent, uphold the law
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 5:20pm
I have heard that powder extinguishers will destroy all the electronics. Not immediately, but in the long run it will work almost like a leaking battery. So you could say that it's better to let the game room burn down than to use the powder exinguisher in it.
I only use the CO2 type. It costs a little more, but doesn't harm the games.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 5:21pm
That's similar to the one I have already (but is probably out of date). It's a powder one, so will leave a real mess if used. I think I need a CO2 one, that I can give something a quick blast with if needed, without further damaging electronics etc.

[edit] Crossposted. Yeah, think I heard powder ones knacker electrics too, slowcade.

Edited by big10p - 12 Aug 2018 at 5:23pm
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 8:26pm
Wood and electricity - powder or co2 are your only options. Foam or water could be lethal if used on a fire where electricity is involved.

I have some dodgy computer room extinguisher I acquired that's probably lethal if used - Think it's got inergen inside...
Paul_in_nottingham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul_in_nottingham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 9:00pm
I’ve got a 2kg CO2 one from amazon.

Think it was about £25
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 9:24pm
I paid £110 for mine. Seems almost everything is more expensive in Norway.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 10:07pm
Yikes, that is expensive. Will have a look on Amazon to see what they have. Cheers.
bomjac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bomjac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by slowcade slowcade wrote:

I paid £110 for mine. Seems almost everything is more expensive in Norway.

Not everything. One of the guys I worked in Haugesund 2008 actually took a "log splitter" back to Inverness when he was done. Reckoned it was 1/2 the price.

About the beer however......

Edited by bomjac - 12 Aug 2018 at 11:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic