ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Pinball > General Pinball Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

First pin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First pin
    Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 2:54am
I'm treading the water and looking into buying my first pinball but must be a restoration project. Any noob advice would be greatly appreciated.

Daz
Hunting for a pole position !!
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 4:04am
I'm no expert but will try and give some advice as I have just bought my first pin

go and play as many pinball machines as you can so you can work out which games you like everyone's taste is different

eg I don't like Adams family ,or attack from mars but everyone else seems to love them
I like data east hook but no one else dose

electric circus or tilt in Birmingham are good and have a mixture of all tables from different manufacturers and years
pinfest is soon also

I was warned not to buy gottlieb machines as they are harder to fix and parts are expensive or hard to find

I was also warned away from electro mechanical machines because they are hard to repair I don't like how slow they play anyway

For a first pin
I would go for something solid state from bally or Williams as most of the fixes for stuff are well documented
you need to be fairly handy with a soldering iorn but no different to repairing arcade boards / monitors really
Recapping ect

any pins you are looking at check playfield wear and broken ramps and plastics as some are not reproduced and are unobtainable unless some one breaks a pin for spares

Playfields that are worn out down to the wòod or have planking unless really cheap arnt worth bothering with home
Repair and touchup without it looking s**t
Is hard unless you have an artist in the family

cheapest projects I have seen start at around £500 upwards if you have more money the dot matrix stuff is available

I have been lucky with my pin its been quite an easy project so far
probably a bit too easy tbh
but I have still had to put a couple of hundred into it
and still have stuff to do to it
Fun when you have a nice working game though :)

Edited by robotech - 14 Jul 2018 at 4:37am
"Deja Vu"
paulcan69 View Drop Down
Can reburn OTP EPROMs! Fear my power!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulcan69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 5:48am
Lethal weapon 3
Getaway 2

Probably the best bang for your bucks there
Not the deepest of games but getaway 2 is better but more $ than lw3
Arcade Otaku name: paulcan69

ebay name: paulcan2
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 6:42am
Originally posted by paulcan69 paulcan69 wrote:

Lethal weapon 3
Getaway 2

Probably the best bang for your bucks there
Not the deepest of games but getaway 2 is better but more $ than lw3

Getaway 2 is a fun pin the supercharger is cool better game than high speed imo

Edited by robotech - 14 Jul 2018 at 6:48am
"Deja Vu"
jugemscloud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jugemscloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 1:00pm
i would say that a restoration project probably isn't the best way to get into pinball unless you are talking about relatively minor repairs (part for part replacements) which even in themselves can be costly dependant on machine and by the time you factor in locating parts and shipping (a lot of specific stuff needs to be imported from america) you may have been better off waiting on a complete functioning example or getting a different table. also if the play field is heavily worn thats a hell of a lot of work to restore and heavily influences how the table plays (especially if it has a mylar that needs removed and replaced or clear coated).

as above try machines from different eras loosely defined there are 3 - pre 80-85 EM, 80-90 solid state and 90 onward solid state dmd. check if theres pinball league meetings near you as you should get an idea from the tables there what era you like and what type of gameplay. if you find something you like look at the designer and what other games they've made as most tend to have similar styles, for example high speed 1 and 2 are designed by steve ritchie who also designed terminator 2 all of these tables have quite open play fields and play very fast and smooth

the thing i look for in games is how many shots are available off the main flippers and what is the level of skill or understanding required to shoot these. a game might seem complicated with lots of features or fancy gadgets/toys/ramps but the gameplay is limited due to what is actually available from the flippers and you end up with only 2 or 3 options that quickly becomes repetitive, or the game isn't well balanced and getting a good score through choosing to limit the shots you go for making the gameplay repetitive 
Spanky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 4:22pm
Some good advice there from jugemscloud.  

You say you want a project - do you mean you're on a tight budget?  

The 2018 season has just finished, but have a look at 

You could go along, play some machines, meet people and ask questions.

You may even be able to borrow a machine - collectors have been known to have more machines than they have space for, and are happy for a fellow enthusiast to babysit a machine.

The older EM machines tend to be a lot cheaper because they're underrated.  I personally think they can still be good fun, the newest machines I find quite ghey with all the flashing lights and puerile plastic dollies and whatnot.  

Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 5:37pm
Hey thanks for all this great advice guys, much appreciated. I see there is a meet at Colsterworth and Newark which is only 10 mins away

Yes I'm on a budget, I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and have been fixing arcade pcbs for a couple of years now. I guess I don't want anything that needs a huge amount of work. I haven't played pinball in years, I just want it mainly for parties, to keep people entertained and for me to play when I'm bored, which isn't to often to be fair.

Daz
Hunting for a pole position !!
Spanky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 8:02pm
Okay, well sign up to http://www.pinballinfo.com and don't rush in, take time to get your head round things.
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 9:08am
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113138354027

About as cheap as you will find for your first decent pin. Good game. You will sell it for the price you bought it so just consider it an expensive refundable deposit!
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 10:00am
Theres a no fear on pinball info for £1400
At the moment
2k is a bit much for one
Its a gòod fast game but its all ramp shots which puts some people off

Edited by robotech - 15 Jul 2018 at 10:01am
"Deja Vu"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic