Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

FIXED Sega F355 Paddle Shifter flanged bush

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris2922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FIXED Sega F355 Paddle Shifter flanged bush
    Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 11:12am
Hi all.  The paddle shifter on my F355 single is loose/wobbly.

I've taken it apart to find a worn out plastic flanged bearing that would normally stabilise the shifter assembly (actually there are two - one on the top, one on the bottom).

The inner diameter is 8mm and the outer diameter is 10mm.  Not having much luck finding a part that size online yet - but just checking here in case anyone has one or knows what i could use in place of the original part?

In the meantime we are drilling out and cutting down a little piece of 10mm plastic Speedfit pipe that might do the trick for now - though not ideal.

This is the little worn out part:

And this is the hole it lives in:

Edited by chris2922 - 14 Jun 2021 at 9:37am
aldormanndiobla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldormanndiobla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 11:16am
Hi,

Is it plastic? If so, maybe someone could 3D-print a replacement for you. If you have measurements?
If it is metal. You could maybe take a pipe and cut and a big washer and weld them together too look like the original.

Edited by aldormanndiobla - 06 Jun 2021 at 11:18am
chris2922 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris2922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 12:10pm
It is plastic yes.  And the sort of 'top hat' design provides a washer at the top and a bush in the hole - and its the bush that stops the shifter wobbling around.  The bush is 10mm outer and 8mm inner - at least I think it is from the little left of it that I can measure.

The DIY bit of plastic pipe has not worked well.  Its too tight, so the shifter paddles don't return from the micro switches and stick in place.  Having said that its a step in the right direction i suppose.

Need to source the proper part though or a correctly sized replacement.  The pipe was just lying around so worth a try.
chris2922 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris2922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 2:49pm
Better pictures and measurements:

Diameter 10mm (external)
diameter 8mm (internal)
Length 5mm
Washer/Top-hat thickness 1mm
Overall Washer/Top-hat diameter 15mm

Flanged Bearing
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 3:58pm
Its something i noticed on ones i had also, its a shame they started making things cheaper on later sega machines and using plastic on parts like this, same on Turbo Outrun Wheel Mech, plastic bearings to hold steering wheel shaft yet original Outrun its all metal and proper bearings

Dont suppose there are any left to buy from sega spares suppliers. Super Monaco GP has and others have Paddle shift also, cant remember now how much different they are to F355 ones apart from lever is not as long as wheel smaller, trying to think of they had plastic ones or something better

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
chris2922 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris2922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 4:16pm
They’re such an odd size too. Lots of metal and plastic flanged bearings online, but can’t find one like this yet
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 4:47pm
I need these also!
So im interested if someone can print them Smile
Very busy with non arcade stuff at moment.
Tempted to sell a fair few machines in 2022
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 6:00pm
I'm sure the older ones had proper metal ones or a different design to these and much better, just cant remember without looking

Suspect there will be a few that could need them
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Vamino View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 8:48pm
When me and Shane refurbed my shifter we used some washers he had laying around and placed one in each of the recesses. When reassembled I tested them with a heavy hand and they stayed put.

The inner diameter of the washer wasn't perfect but it tightened up the shifters to a point that we couldn't tell which was the original one and which one had that washer in.

Edited by Vamino - 06 Jun 2021 at 8:50pm
Insert Coin[s]
chris2922 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris2922 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 4:52pm
Not happy with my DIY plastic pipe solution I considered putting a washer in the recess, but if Sega decided a flanged bush needed to do the job who am i to argue.  So i spent the past week emailing bearing manufactures and browsing the internet, and finally found a replacement part.  Ordered a bag of 10 for approx £7 and they arrived looking just the job:

This afternoon I dismantled the paddle shifters on both my dashboards and replaced the worn out bushes with the new ones.  They fit perfectly and the paddles feel really solid now.

I still have 6 new bushes left so if anyone wants a pair let me know.
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 4:55pm
Yes please :)
Very busy with non arcade stuff at moment.
Tempted to sell a fair few machines in 2022
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 7:42pm
Nowt worse then a wobbly bush.
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Check out my 80s Synthwave Music :)   https://247retro.bandcamp.com/album/naeon
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by strykr strykr wrote:

LOL

Too true.
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 8:02pm
Nice work, thats surprised me finding somewhere that stocks them, just shows you if you spent a bit of time searching, hardest part i find is what things are called, one you know proper names of things it helps big time

So maybe they just used a ready made off the shelf ones and not special made like i thought they might be
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by strykr strykr wrote:

LOL

Nice one finding a proper compatible part.
Just ordered myself a packet. Smile

Obviously the washer solution wasn't perfect, but it is what it is and it's certainly better than leaving the worn out bearings fitted!

Insert Coin[s]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic