ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Info > Suggestions / Bugs / Problems / Help!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

For sale prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Boom boom POW!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deathrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For sale prices
    Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 3:35pm
See allot of guess the price on here recently..

Surely that’s why we have a valuation section for sellers who don’t know what to ask for an item?

Shouldn’t it be a rule on here that any item listed for sale must have a price and location?

Seen one advert actually asking for offers and if the offer matches the price he has in mind then he might sell it... huh?
why cant we all just get along? ;)
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 4:00pm
It's more a convention/option than a rule.   We don't tend to impose rules as such beyond those mentioned here.   Personally I don't see the problem with 'offers invited'.  If you don't like it or the tone of the poster - don't make an offer is how I treat them.  Not telling you to do the same but just saying...
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 4:20pm
Agree. If you don't like the seller's method or tone, don't make an offer. I suspect the advert asking for offers was someone who didn't necessarily want to sell the item, but might be persuaded to, if the offer price is right.
2huwman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 4:35pm
Personally, I did like the fact that on J+ an asking price was required when selling something. I think it reduced the chances of the less experienced paying over the odds, and kept prices in check because anyone with a decent reputation would be embarrassed to list something at a grossly inflated price. 

If someone says they have a price in mind, but then won't say what it is, it feels a bit 'unforum-like' to me. They'd be better off putting it up as an auction on eBay with a reserve price. 
_Matt_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 6:16pm
I agree with the majority of what's been said above. There are some people on here who always expect to get top dollar when selling and some even have the nerve to regularly give other members low ball valuations. Poor form Dead

I've never really liked the way the for sale section is sometimes used as an auction section, maybe the people who do this as a way of getting the highest price possible would like to volunteer a % of the sale to the forum?

Spanky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 6:43pm
I agree.  Also, stuff should not be able to be bought whilst still in the valuation section - it should only be for sale in the for sale section.  
Jodo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
It's Tachikoma Time!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 10:46pm
Guys - we have no current plans to start locking down the forum to rule sets from other sites and there will likely never be any rules about PM’ing in Valuations - if you want something, just go for it! - we are all adults here and sellers can sell to whom they wish, when they wish and at what price they want to ask. Everyone has as much chance as anyone else*

*Apart from U72 - that’s some voodoo sh*t right there ;)
REMINDER: There are NO rules against sending a PM to buy in a Valuations thread.
Space Harrier Arcade World Record Holder!!
Twin Galaxies Official Score: 42,384,290
2huwman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Jodo Jodo wrote:

Guys - we have no current plans to start locking down the forum to rule sets from other sites and there will likely never be any rules about PM’ing in Valuations - if you want something, just go for it! - we are all adults here and sellers can sell to whom they wish, when they wish and at what price they want to ask. Everyone has as much chance as anyone else*

*Apart from U72 - that’s some voodoo sh*t right there ;)

I shouldn't have used J+ as an example, because I do think some of the rules there were over-the-top and unenforcible (such as no PM'd offers in Valuations threads). Shmups and AO are other examples of forums where a price is required in For Sale threads.

Fully agree that we should all be able to sell what we want for whatever price we want, but I think there are benefits to the community in being open about that price from the outset. 

I suppose I was just picking up on the OP's frustration about 'price-guessing', as I have wasted time and effort with sellers who, in retrospect, seemed to be playing several parties off against eachother in order to maximise profit. I've got no problem with auctions in theory, but that's what eBay's for!  

I love the supportive and open nature of this forum, so it may be that the balance here is right already - but it's always worth thinking about these things Thumbs Up 

Deathrow View Drop Down
Boom boom POW!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deathrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 10:12am
Great response to this and thank you for all of the replies

I don’t have any problem with people who don’t know values etc.. that’s a good starting point for a valuations thread.

Offers in sales threads are of course up to the seller and I’m not asking for any lockdown or water boarding etc just thought it’s worth a discussion.

I’ve had a couple of recent dealings that have been less than adequate due to the seller not stating a price

One wanted me to guess a price and if it matches thier thoughts then they may sell..
Another asked me to make an offer and when I did said they agreed with my valuation but would rather now keep?

Lots of time and effort wasted that’s leaves me frustrated

I tell you my thoughts.. I’m not a regular posting member and I’m still treated as a newbie.. this leads to people wanting me to offer above an items value “chancing”

This isn’t a good way to open up a scene or forum to new members. Just my opinion and not pointing blame at mods or flicking sh*t from a stick

I guess I won’t make any offers anymore on any items as suggested to resolve this issue but I still feel the forum is missing an opportunity

Edited by Deathrow - 04 Aug 2018 at 10:16am
why cant we all just get along? ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic