ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Found some brilliant paint!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Found some brilliant paint!
    Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 8:15pm
I made a post on here a few week back asking if anyone knew a good black satin paint to do a cab with....   

I’ve found one!

Ronseal RSLWPBLKS750 750 ml Weatherproof Exterior Wood Paint - Black/Satin https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NFCSWB4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_iz6rBbKK95PVC

Ronseal 10 year weatherproof waterbased black satin.

Basically I’m restoring an afterburner (pcb needed if anyone’s got one) and did all the bodywork on it, filler, proper good sand down with 120 grit but wanted a paint that looked good and was durable and maybe had a Formica type finish.   This does all that. Took a little experimenting with different rollers and what not but it brilliant. First time I applied it, I wasn’t impressed. Turns out it was too warm outside and the paint was drying as quick as I was putting it on and that was in the shade. This stuff is rapid drying. I rubbed it all down again with 120 grit and went again... this time using a short flock 4” roller from b&q instead of the foam roller and I thinned the paint down with water. The paint dries so quick it hasn’t got time to lay flat so it dries the same as it’s applied and that was quite rough. By watering it down it went flat before drying.     

All took a little trial and error but it’s great paint and I recommend it. But for god sake do it somewhere cool or it’l dry rough as the roller stands the paint back up again every time you go over it... then it dries and looks sh*te. Even water it down a little as I did.

The finish is like a Formica type of finish that looks even plastic like. It’s completely flexible too, the left over paint in the tray can bend double and won’t even crack!   Very tough against scratches too and took quite a bit of sanding down and it’s completely waterproof so I’m gonna paint the bottom to protect against any damp being sucked up into the floor.

Covers with two coats no problem.

Edited by Mr Bond - 12 Jul 2018 at 8:17pm
funhouse View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:07pm
Good to know - thanks.

I like the Ronseal woodstain for an 'older' less glossy finish, but I'll look to this for the more plastic-like finish then.

It's all fun this restoration isn't it!
Mr Bond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:15pm
Mmmm....   yes, when everything goes to plan lol.   Took me a while to find a decent paint though. One of the guys on here used something similar on an OutRun.   I like it as it doesn’t look like a “painted” finish. Looks like a Formica plastic finish. They do different colours too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic