Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Game Import Assistance Service - Direct to UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 10:45am
How do I contact Ken and where in the UK would I be required to collect from?
Milky View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wild West Nerd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 10:48am
Ken is FatsGT. Just private message him. Collection is from RGP's in Blackburn once imported.
Hmmm...it IS a good game, but it needs more cowboys...
Brewman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 8:51am
Hello

How much is the additional charge for conversion to UK power supply?
itruk View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 10:23am
Quote UK power conversion

USA games will all arrive with a USA plug and requiring 110vAC voltage - I can arrange to have your game properly converted to 240vAC power on a case by case basis either via proper manufacturers jumpers on the power block or by fitting a step-down internally. Conversion to IEC power connector is possible at the same time.

I'm happy to confirm that the price for this is £25.00 labour charge plus parts.
If a transformer is required we will fit one appropriate to the load to the inside of the cab - the cost is £50.00.
IEC socket fitting is £5.00

WANTS:

Playchoice 10 Games
- please PM me :)
Brewman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 12:10pm
OK thanks. There's a good chance I'll be making a purchase on the shipment after this one. I'll keep you posted.
Del Griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 12:46pm
For the power conversions it’s £30 or £75, The latter if it needs a step down
Brewman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 11:11am
After the conversion could the machine be re-wrapped?
char1ie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote char1ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 2:01pm
I have imported games from US cities using crating and palleting services. It's pretty easy and is per game, rather than having to fill a container. For example I saw a Tempest Cocktail for sale on Craigslist in Austin, Texas - contacted Austin Shipping for a quote and they told me they could collect the machine, wrap it on a pallet and send it to a UK sea port (or by air). Obviously each city has a decent agent for this type of service.

Charlie

RGP View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Meeter & Greeter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by char1ie char1ie wrote:

I have imported games from US cities using crating and palleting services. It's pretty easy and is per game, rather than having to fill a container. For example I saw a Tempest Cocktail for sale on Craigslist in Austin, Texas - contacted Austin Shipping for a quote and they told me they could collect the machine, wrap it on a pallet and send it to a UK sea port (or by air). Obviously each city has a decent agent for this type of service.

Charlie

Anyone is welcome to individually ship games if they are in a rush, let me just make you all aware of the pitfalls of these services.

They are usually "to port" only and not door-to-door and are not duty/tax inclusive services.

Last time I looked into this before doing containers it was around £500.00 for a crated, palleted service from a point of origin to one of the UK sea-ports.

This did not include any release fees, duty or VAT due on the item and you will be given a pick-up slot with a 4 hour window usually.

The ports hate dealing with end users - I can't underline that strongly enough so they go out of their way to make it hard sometimes including forcing you to miss your pick up time to stick another service charge on.

What you'll find is that an agent at the sea-port takes charge of your goods from the container they brought in and holds them for free for a day and then charges you.  If we don't take the first container delivery slot we are given we get charged £165+VAT per day per 20ft space in the dock so you can imagine these guys don't like you keeping your stuff in their warehouse.

You should always choose a door-to-door or freight handling service if you're going to ship individually.

Sea-freight does not deal with anything other than containers, these companies are still using a 20ft or 40ft container but are able to fill and send them on a daily or weekly basis so they essentially do the exact same job we do but usually for more money.

I actually run this service at a loss purely as a service to the community, we often end up with people's stuff sat with us for months and we rarely charge unless they're the a***hole naggy type.

With the prices of cabinets going up and up in the US the fee may need to rise a fraction as the duty/tax burden to me is growing.
Parts for fixin' and stuff for sale in our webstore here
Syrup2407 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syrup2407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:19pm
Hi James,

I sent you a PM regarding the next shipment to the UK, can you please get back to me as I have a monitor I would like to try to get on the next container.

Many thanks,

Gav
AaronBoone View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronBoone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by RGP RGP wrote:

With the prices of cabinets going up and up in the US the fee may need to rise a fraction as the duty/tax burden to me is growing.

Would it not be feasible to structure how the fees are calculated differently rather than putting the price up across the board? As it stands if you import a low cost cab you're effectively subsidising the more expensive ones which doesn't seem right. 
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by AaronBoone AaronBoone wrote:

Would it not be feasible to structure how the fees are calculated differently rather than putting the price up across the board? As it stands if you import a low cost cab you're effectively subsidising the more expensive ones which doesn't seem right. 

I think James is already doing enough without having to go through all that.   Remember he said he's loosing money doing this.   You have a choice, you can use his excellent service or DIY if you don't think it's fair that your low cost cab has to pay the same as a high cost one.   Jeez...
Brewman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 5:00pm
Hello James

I've also send you a message about the next shipment as I'm keen to get involved.
AaronBoone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronBoone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by DanP DanP wrote:

Originally posted by AaronBoone AaronBoone wrote:

I think James is already doing enough without having to go through all that.   Remember he said he's loosing money doing this.   You have a choice, you can use his excellent service or DIY if you don't think it's fair that your low cost cab has to pay the same as a high cost one.   Jeez...

Jeez indeed. I was suggesting a way that James could maybe look at doing it as it's not sustainable if he's haemorrhaging money on it, is it. Apologies if that has got your back up. 

My rationale was based on if say a cab costs £100 that's £20ish in VAT and say £3.70 in duty assuming it's around 3.7%. On a £1000 cab that's £200 and £37 respectively. So if you import a low cost cab James ends up with about £375 to cover his costs. The £1000 cab he ends up with £165ish. So by that reasoning the lower costs cabs are keeping things ticking over. If you're paying £1k for a cab then it's easier to justify (to yourself and your other half) the £395 to ship it over than it is a cab that costs £90. If the price goes up across the board it makes it even harder to justify getting that shed imported from COW to do up. Which then leaves James with less money as folk are only importing higher priced cabs which means more VAT and duty. Which will inevitably lead to more price increases. 

Jeez...Big smile

RGP View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Meeter & Greeter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote RGP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:51am
Wow, I wish I hadn't said anything.  This is exactly why I haven't been on the forum for ages.  Can of worms open.

There are no good answers here.  If I go for a volumetric base cost plus duty + tax, this will of course please the $100 cab buyers but piss off the $2000 DK cab buyers.  The latter end being the bulk of business coming through.

I've shipped in nearly 400 games in less than 2 years for people.
I've increased the UK's stock of games massively compared to other services.
I've witnessed some horrific wiring, vermin, dead snakes, rats nests and other not so nice things you wouldn't want to have on your carpet in your home.

The cost of freight changes around the year, the exchange rate is set and fixed for each month but does vary and sometimes by quite a bit to throw the figures out.

Lets work through the possibility very quickly.  We'll use 1.30:1 as the USD->GBP rate for ease.

Lets say the cost of the freight usage alone is £4000 ex VAT (you get charged the VAT at the point of arrival).

In the 30-60 days I have to pay for storage in the USA - Ken fronts it for me locally but I pay for it 100%.  lets say that's $400 per month so we just added $800 usually (£615).

At the point of departure, Ken hires in a few people who want paying, as does he have to hire a truck with a tail lift, purchase packaging supplies, ratchet straps etc - this is a cost around $500 (£385)

Then there's insurance which is based on the declared value and can be around £250-350 per load.

So before the container sets off i've paid out £5350.

On average we can get 23 items on a 20ft container, 46 on a 40ft so the cost before duty and tax is £217.39 in this illustration.

So I remove the tax averaging and charge everyone based on purchase price.

AaronBoone buys a cab that after currency exchange is £100, this would incur £23.70 on the item.

But no - it doesn't quite work like that.

If there were only that one item on the container then the declared value of goods would be £100.

So customs would take the cost of freight (£4000) plus the £100 == £4100

And calculate VAT @ 20% = £820
There isn't supposed to be duty on the commodity code for these items but we get charged around 7% on the total - just try arguing with them, they hold the container and charge you while you argue - it's a ransom tax.

Ransom tax = £287

Then I get charged about 5% deferment usage fee on the VAT & "not duty" = £55.35

So to clear it i'll pay out £1162.35

Lets extend this example - a 20ft container can hold 23 pac-man sized cabs.

If all were £100 each exactly we'd have the following:

Freight : £4000.00
Goods : £2300.00
Total : £6300.00
VAT @ 20% = £1260.00
Not duty robbery tax @ 7% of 6300.00 = £441
Deferment charge @ 5% of VAT & non-duty = £85.05
Total fees on top of freight for clearance = £1786.05

Bringing the total outlay to £8086.05 - note i'm only getting charged duty/tax on the freight/goods not the other fees I have to pay so lets add these in

Add £1350 = £9436.05

Divide by 23 items = £410.26 per item.

And it doesn't stop there.  At my end I have warehouse, heat, light, business rates, staff, etc.  I also have to pay for the use of a forklift to unload the container which is around £250 each time.

Once i've offloaded the container, I then have 23 new lumps of wood to beg and plead everyone to get picked up which can take weeks in that time, that space is unusable to me.

Do you now see why other companies charge £500+ to the port without the duty/VAT etc and are really pissy about stuff getting picked up.

And this was on a £100 cab.

The numbers are in reality lower than those quoted but not by much, i've obfuscated the numbers because the forum is open to google and thus a lot of jealous prying eyes who'd like to just run with this who'd inevitably charge a lot more.

I'll be frank that i've done the real numbers on exactly what's been discussed.

The cost of shipping a £100 cab wouldn't be that much lower after all things are factored in - it'd be around £325 at best, not that much of a saving and it absolutely hinges on lowest freight rates and an exchange rate staying at 1.35.

Would anyone really like me to market this service in a sleazy current way like 

"L@@K here -----> Per game rates from as low as £325*" 

I'm not here to rinse anyone out, buy a mansion etc just provide you all a way of getting games from abroad.

Remember when you used to pay 300 euros to get it to Europe, then another chunk to get it from Europe to England then from somewhere in England via Martin to your door?  That worked out more expensive didn't it?

(* based on your cabinet not taking up a footprint larger than 15" x 15" and leaving your cab in the USA until one of three points in the year when the shipping rates are lower and the exchange rate is at its highest).

Edited by RGP - 24 Jan 2018 at 12:59am
Parts for fixin' and stuff for sale in our webstore here
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 6:55am
James you are doing a tremendous service for the community and I know from talking to you about this that you are doing this for the community.

The amount of stress involved must be high. So many agencies involved.

I haven't used this yet but you make importing cabs a relatively straightforward forward process and it is appreciated.
iamjimmi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 7:28am
13 shipments to date and 400 cabs imported. Speaks for itself really.

Folk have a choice... use an import service run by a well known, reliable enthusiast with a proven track record and a very generous pricing structure... or take yer chances elsewhere.

I know what I would choose.

Edited by iamjimmi - 24 Jan 2018 at 7:28am
campbell87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campbell87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 9:04pm
I have no problem with the way James runs this. The price is very good for this kind of service! I wouldn’t have been able to get my grail cab without his help.

Thanks James

Edited by campbell87 - 14 Feb 2018 at 9:05pm
Sciddleybop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sciddleybop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 9:22pm
James, you’re a star. I’ve used the service and it’s amazing. Thank you so much for all you do
Mark H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:18am
James is one of the best. I have met him on a number of occasions (he has fixed three of my boards and one of my cabs) and he is a credit to this industry.

Regards

Mark
"The Future Is Now"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic