Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Games you played the most nights the 80s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Games you played the most nights the 80s
    Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 10:20pm
Not necessarily the ones you liked the most, which games did you sink the most coins into?

Mine are probably…

Mikie
Pole position
Super basketball
Nemesis
Moon cresta
Burgertime
Asteroids
Time scanner
Crazy kong
Arkanoid
Pacland

I had access to fantastic arcades but also had most of the above machines at work at one time or another so that would account for them being played so much - you can’t beat a few games in your meal break! Going into the big arcades meant there was too much choice so would play a game then move on, but only having a couple at work meant they were played properly.
The seeker View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 10:33pm
Nemesis , nemesis and urm nemesis
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 10:43pm
Growing up we didnt have much money , stuck a bit in wonderboy, outrun, Double dragon, pole position, hard drivin. I think we put most of our holiday money in 2p coin pushers and proper one arm bandits (1p and 2p ones)

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
John Bennett View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 10:47pm
I was only really starting to regularly go to the arcades by 1989, so it was what was in Whitley Bay around then:
Rolling Thunder
S.T.U.N. Runner
Peter Packrat
Assault

of course I discovered loads more 80's games in the early 90's, but we're not counting that.
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Funhouse71 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Funhouse71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 11:03pm
For me it was mostly playing games at my local swimming pool, my sister used to train at Southend and I used to get up super early in the morning before school and tag along with my Father in the car just so I could spend a couple of hours down the pool playing the games Smile

The games changed regularly but the  most memorable games I remember playing were...

Asteroids
Defender
Space Invaders
Invaders Revenge
Missile Command
Astro Blaster

10yard View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10yard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 11:17pm
I lived 10 miles from the arcades on the East Coast of Yorkshire. I would cycle there often with friends in mid 80’s and my Grandfolks would also take me on a Saturday night with my brother. It was so exciting to be in the arcades and to see new machines.

I gravitated to playing games that would stretch my 10p’s

10yard Fight
Kick-n-Run
Kung-Fu Master
New Rally-X
Pacland
Chase HQ
Super Sprint

Check out my Donkey Kong frontend project at github.com/10yard/dkafe
mlynn View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 11:48pm
Pole Position
Commando
Outrun
Bubble Bobble
Shinobi
Bobbdobalina View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbdobalina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 6:03am
Star Wars cockpit on skegness pier, I can see it now
sukhbir View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukhbir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 7:01am
Scramble,ghost n goblins.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 7:24am
I grew up in a village with the nearest arcade miles away, so most nights I was playing... my Speccy.
Venom View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:11am
Dead easy to remember.

The local "working" man's club had Pengo.

There was also a pool table and a darts board.

Ironically my dad took our aunt over from Germany there and she said is this where the non working people go to !!

Thanks

Edited by Venom - 21 Jan 2022 at 8:11am
LHantz View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:01am
Loads, but one sticks in my mind, a Rotherham Arcade got a new minty Chase HQ stand up, remember piling loads into that until I finally 1cc'd it. Machine was great, tight steering wheel, no play and the rumble/resistance was savage
Collector for 25 years - New from '92 - Electrocoin Xenon SFII CE - Over 150 original PCBs - Darksoft Multi CPS2/Taito F3/Neo Geo/Irem M72/Sega Sys16/Namco Sys1 - JROK multi Williams
Belike View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 10:04am
In the early 80's, one play was 5 forints in Hungary.LOL

Played these:

-Kangaroo
-Amidar
-Triple Punch/Knock Out
-Tutankham
-Zaxxon
-Phoenix
-Scramble
-Super Cobra
-Scorpion
-Hyper Olympics

Edited by Belike - 21 Jan 2022 at 1:29pm
NivagSwerdna View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NivagSwerdna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 10:06am
Whatever they had on the cocktail table in the pub...

Tutankham
Popeye
Roc n' Rope

Then whatever they had at university...
Asteroids
Defender

And when visting friends in London at the arcade next to Googe Street...
Outrun

Between that on my Spectrum...
Jet Set Willy
Alien8

Edited by NivagSwerdna - 21 Jan 2022 at 10:07am
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 10:29am
The only time I really got to play arcades was when we went abroad on holiday.

Outrun
Afterburner
Chase HQ
Operation Wolf
Wonderboy
R Type

... we're the main ones I hammered
TWB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 12:58pm
We would bunk out of school at dinner time and go down the cafe or chippy they were both in the same block of shops and had a few games between them.

Asteroids
Scramble
Phoenix
Astro Fighter

Always presented me with the dilemma of which would get my last 10p it was usually Scramble.

At home on the C64 it was usually Dropzone or a Jeff Minter shooter.
WANTED
Cabs:

PCBs:
Parts: Robotron upper coin door | Sinistar red ball lever or entire joystick
Bertie_Mollie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bertie_Mollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 1:41pm
We didn't have an arcade near me just chippies, take aways and corner shops with a few machines. What I played most were:

Space invaders
Missile Command
Space Invaders Pt2
Asteroids
Defender
Scramble

A few years later with my mates in the pub, Track & Field

Edited by Bertie_Mollie - 21 Jan 2022 at 1:42pm
tt_rage View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt_rage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 2:22pm
Used to go down to Exmouth on summer hols and spent most of our pocket money in the in-town and beachfront arcades. Whilst there my bro and I would spend hours on:

Turbo
Rally X
Indy
Star Wars
69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:28pm
while Missile Command was at our house to family and friends by far the most addictive as we had them from either New or recently second hand BY FAR THE MOST 'CREDITTED' (luckily free on owner key access) WAS HUNCHBACK

it took from teatime till after midnight to get on and across the rope swing for starters then we quite mastered the next couple of screens after we learned to take a run up at stage 1 and so on but by 4.30 am or maybe later as dawn broke SO FED UP GETTING AN ARROW UP THE ARSE OR BACK OF HEAD jumping the battlements we gave up and went bed....( think that was screen 4 or 5 ?????? )

however when it went on site at Lyons Holiday Camp in Rhyl it made loads , almost filling the coin  box on  BIG 10ps could hardly lift it out after about 3 weeks of summer hols use somebody ( maybe 4 or 5 teenagers ) got well attracted to it changing pound after pound for coins ....... the pound coin was NEW so had to be changed for everything in the arcade at first till we got a couple of the fruits to take them in the mars 111 multi-mechs 

problem was HUNCHBACK was a new kit game on a Galaxian or Scramble based pcb Century 'GAMEPACK' .....  no-one had played it that we could ask how or what to expect ..we had been upgrading S.Inv to Lunar Rescue and Inv.Revenge etc for a while so got tempted with the straightforward upgrade colour kits ...in the early 80s 

so impressed we had about 5 of these hunchbacks  on arcades stock through  the eighties almost as many as asteroids we had about 10 of them including one 'asteroide ' foriegn slimline lighter cab

Edited by 69er - 21 Jan 2022 at 5:47pm
undefeated arcade junk hoarder champion since 1977

IF YOU CHUCK IT AWAY YOU NEED IT THE NEXT DAY!!
devonpinball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devonpinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:37pm
Pole Position
Galaga
Time Pilot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic