ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Golden Axe image upside down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Golden Axe image upside down
    Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 10:13pm
I fear this may be a stupid question, please forgive if so! I am relatively new to the world of owning arcade machines.

I have a jamma cab which was running a horizontal 19 in 1 board up until today.

I put in an original Golden Axe board using an Arcadeforge Sega 16 to Jamma adapter, and the image is upside down. It isn’t flipped, just upside down, as if the monitor is rotated the wrong way around. The monitor is in a rotatable mounting, but the 19 in 1 board appears the correct way up when powered.

From what I can see through googling there is no switch setting on Golden Axe to adjust the image. Do I need to rotate the monitor all the way around for Golden Axe to address this, or is something else at play?

FWIW aside from having to stand on my head the board seems to run fine with sound, clear picture and all 1P and 2P inputs working.

Any help very much appreciated!

mozie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 10:18pm
You just need to plug the yolk wires in the opposite way around on your monitor chassis, no need to rotate the monitor. You know what chassis you got in your cab? Someone had the 19 in 1 board flipped using the dipswitches.

Have a look at this
https://youtu.be/goP1vVZnMAk

Edited by mozie - 23 Jan 2023 at 10:24pm
Chesh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 10:57pm
Thanks for the reply.

I don’t know the chassis off hand, I’ll have a look tomorrow. The vid you linked looks straight forward enough. Would I have to do anything like discharge the monitor before swapping the plugs do you know?

So if I understand correctly, do different boards just draw the picture in a different way? The example given in the vid was Double Dragon. For example, if I put multiple boards in the cab with a switcher, for certain boards would I still need to switch the yokes?

Thanks
mozie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 11:07pm
In general they all run the same orientation from the jamma standard onwards which your golden axe is.. Prior yo there being a standard for all manufacturers there was some older boards that ran in different orientations but most had dipswitches to flip the screen although not all. If you set it for golden axe you'll probably be 99% good to go apart from the odd older board that doesn't have a flip screen option.. Must have been an older board the monitor was set up for and whoever put in 19 in 1 used dips to flip the screen. I've never bothered discharging the monitor when swapping yolk wires around but iam sure some will say you should, just be careful and stay away from the red wire :) it might be easier to pull out the monitor and do it outside the cab.. It goes without saying that the cab will be plugged out!! Really only a 5 minute job there will be 2 wires one will flip vertical one will flip horizontal. If you do it once for golden axe it's unlikely you'll have to do it again tbh
Chesh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 3:51pm
I think I have gained a bit more understanding but I'm not yet confident of being able to fix my issue.

The monitor is a Samsung tube with (I think) a a Kortek KTN-20 chassis, that's based on this Vac post by urbanledge, their picture looks the same as mine. I haven't taken the chassis out of the cab yet, so not the best pic:

I've ringed what I think are the yoke wires but am not 100%. I was expecting to see just four wires connecting to four pins, this looks like six pins - with pins 3 and 4 being connected by a looped wire. Could wires yellow/green and blue/red be my yoke wires? I think these follow the usual colours.

If I've got the right identification, I assume I need to swap yellow and green around with each other, and blue and red around with each other?

You can see partially obscured there's also another plug of the same shape just below also in the area I've marked. In this video this chap talks about some chassis' having two yoke plugs to flip the image, is that what this could be? I've found a manual for this board and can see the two plugs on p6, but I can't see any reference to yoke wires or mention of the picture orientation.

Again - any help hugely appreciated.

ps: mozie was right about the dip switch being set on the 19 in 1 to flip the picture!
Wurstkopp View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurstkopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 5:32pm
Yes, put it in the other slot, thats what it meant for. :)
Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Street Fighter 2, Donkey Kong, Galaga 88, Centipede cabaret, MVS-U4, Pony Mark III 25, Taito MT-8, Attack from Mars pin, T2 pin
Chesh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:44am
Well - that turned out to be a lot easier than I anticipated. Still half expected something to go pop when I switched the plug over, but it being keyed gave me some confidence.

Lovely - thanks very much for everyone's advice, now to stick it to Death = Adder!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic